Author Topic: Day One versus GOTY editions  (Read 933 times)

Day One versus GOTY editions
« on: October 27, 2016, 02:03:12 am »
Wondering what will happen in 10 or 15 years from now with all these games that get all the different prints (day one, definitive editions, goty), from a pure collector standpoint.

In a sense, day one versions are the original releases, but goty contain all the patches and dlc. And this might be important as 15 years from now, we might not be able to download patches nor dlc anymore as the servers will be down. So it seems like original release versus full experience, wondering what will be more sought after.

Day one release typically contain just a single dlc add on, but sometimes it can be quite cool like the witcher 3, which came with additional physical content (map, booklet with lore, soundtrack and a cardboard cover for the game). But then the goty edition of this game has all DLC, expansions and patches, which is quite cool to have as well. I'm struggling in particular to decide if getting the day one or goty for the witcher 3.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:06:58 am by iryoku »

Re: Day One versus GOTY editions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 03:14:56 am »
Well, if you're into achievements/trophies, get both, as the GOTY version of Witcher 3 is considered a separate game to the base one so they can be stacked.

As for the topic on hand, personally, I generally won't get the GOTY edition of I've already got another version of the game unless it's cheaper to get the edition compared to buying all of the DLC.

Collectability-wise though, a GOTY edition with the DLC on disk can actually be a huge increase in value if the DLC has become unavailable digitally. A great example being Marvel Ultimate Alliance, where after the DLC was delisted, the Gold Version shot up to around $70, while the base game stayed at about $5. They've since relisted the DLC and values have come down though.

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 10:26:56 am »
wondering what will be more sought after.

This already has happened with PC games. All the versions end up being the same. Using just this community as an example, the different versions of PC games is widely ignored.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 11:46:52 am »
We should foccus more on those diffrent versions of games but what i think we foccus too much on is the language variations.
Just because the title on the packinging is in French for some ps2 game why should we put in the database as a diffrent game.
I might be ignorant but please can someone make that cleare to me?
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 11:56:25 am »
It is an interesting question, not just from a collector standpoint, but from a gaming standpoint as well. As you end up having to buy the same game again, if you want a physical release with the latest patch (more bug / glitch free) and DLC included.

I always try and aim for the most complete edition, as when the additional content is no longer downloadable, I'll have a copy on disc. But I will get the first print run, if the packaging includes something cool like a soundtrack, or I really want to get the game.

MVL.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 12:22:40 pm »
Just because the title on the packinging is in French for some ps2 game why should we put in the database as a diffrent game.
I might be ignorant but please can someone make that cleare to me?

It is a packaging variation most of the time. Many times the game itself is not localized but the packaging is. If a person lives in France and has a French game, they get to decide which to put into their collection. Then there are people who like a game series so much they want all the versions.

PC Games can also be very difficult because the box itself or the contents may not change but the disc inside will. Blizzard games (like Warcraft II BNE) are like this. I have two copies of BNE that are exactly the same except the CD of each has a different version number. When it comes to PC games, I don't end up digging this far into it because a lot of that information is not documented.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 01:46:37 am »
I think on PC games it is not exactly the same because I think patches are easier to find (and share). However, I don't think we will have access to console patches anymore when Sony and MS put down the previous gen servers.

For me:
limited edition > goty > day one > standard

But there are times where day ones look almost like limited editions (The Witcher 3), so IMO it's a more difficult call to be made. The devs put so much love in The Witcher 3... I'm thinking in getting the goty edition and sticking all the extra content from day one from a second hand copy (map, lore and soundtrack).