Author Topic: Physical Quality of Carts  (Read 3039 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Physical Quality of Carts
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 12:12:12 pm »
I don't wanna know what some of my games have been through. You have to remember that most people who buy games are not like us here on VGC, not at all. It's just a toy, or it's something to shut a kid up, or it's lived inside a bacteria frappe of a home where nobody cleans up ever. They just toss the disc somewhere, the cat pees on the cartridge, the cigarette gets put out on the console, the kid starts writing and drawing all over everything in the room, etc. This stuff is nothing special to them, it's money spent and forgotten about.

Then it gets traded into GameStop, who does not discriminate at all. Here comes the collector all oblivious and wide-eyed - that's the one I want!

Only the people who have their life in order, have their stuff in order... and that's not many people, actually. On occasion you might end up with something that came from someone with a clear mind and clean home, but I'm tellin' ya, it's not common.

sworddude

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 04:06:17 pm »
I don't wanna know what some of my games have been through. You have to remember that most people who buy games are not like us here on VGC, not at all. It's just a toy, or it's something to shut a kid up, or it's lived inside a bacteria frappe of a home where nobody cleans up ever. They just toss the disc somewhere, the cat pees on the cartridge, the cigarette gets put out on the console, the kid starts writing and drawing all over everything in the room, etc. This stuff is nothing special to them, it's money spent and forgotten about.

Then it gets traded into GameStop, who does not discriminate at all. Here comes the collector all oblivious and wide-eyed - that's the one I want!

Only the people who have their life in order, have their stuff in order... and that's not many people, actually. On occasion you might end up with something that came from someone with a clear mind and clean home, but I'm tellin' ya, it's not common.

if you collect cib in very good shape and upwards, Its usually well taken care off or forgotten since otherwise those boxes would not survive let alone in very good upwards condition.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 06:57:38 pm »
I must be in the minority. I haven't had a real issue with carts being damaged. If anything, the only issue I'm finding is marker on outside of carts, but nothing too damaging overall.

sworddude

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 03:15:41 am »
I must be in the minority. I haven't had a real issue with carts being damaged. If anything, the only issue I'm finding is marker on outside of carts, but nothing too damaging overall.

Carts can handle allot and are very durable It's pretty hard to find a broken cart. I'm pretty sure people just talk about them being very dirty since people abuse them so much wich is especially the case with lose carts.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

rayne315

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 12:09:43 pm »

Carts can handle allot and are very durable It's pretty hard to find a broken cart. I'm pretty sure people just talk about them being very dirty since people abuse them so much wich is especially the case with lose carts.

lol yeah. I have only ever ran across 2 cartridges that did not work. I opened one up and it ended up being because the board was physically snapped in 2. I was able to fix it using solder to connect the 2 sides of the board together. not pretty but it works. And the other one was a childhood cart mortal kombat on the genesis. the internal tabs that keep the board in place have broken off over the years (from me slamming it into the system over years) and because of it the board is free floating in the cart. well one day my system didn't want to let the board go so I yanked it out and broke off a component on the board. it still "Works" but it requires the system to be reset about 10 times before it will power on the cartridge.

what I was talking about previously was surface scratches, broken outer plastic, permanent marker stain, discoloration, torn labels, fire/heat damage, ETC.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:13:59 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully