Author Topic: Are you guys still finding sick finds in 2018?  (Read 1616 times)

Are you guys still finding sick finds in 2018?
« on: June 15, 2018, 02:20:45 pm »
All I can find in the wild in 2018 is sports titles for PS2 man.

Re: Are you guys still finding sick finds in 2018?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 02:30:26 pm »
Yep, not nearly as many as 4 or 5 years ago, but I still find a decent amount of good stuff in my area.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 02:33:47 pm »
Not so much in gaming. It's all dried up in my area and I'm mostly reduced to online for my gaming needs (besides GameStop, of course).

But I have been finding some cool VHS deals, lately. Found a lady that had a 5 for a $1 table at the flea market last weekend. And I can usually find some cheap comics, too. In fact, last week, my normal comic shop reduced their $1 bin to a 10-cent bin for the week! I picked up anything in those boxes that looked remotely interesting to read.

azure

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 02:35:48 pm »
Not as good as years ago, but I still find a lot of crazy deals in my area semi-regularly.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 02:45:25 pm »
Yep, not nearly as many as 4 or 5 years ago, but I still find a decent amount of good stuff in my area.
On May 26, 2018 I bought Sly Racoon on PS2 for £1 from a charity shop and I swear to god it was one of the best days of my life.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 02:49:41 pm »
On May 26, 2018 I bought Sly Racoon on PS2 for £1 from a charity shop and I swear to god it was one of the best days of my life.
It's a good game. I'd be happy to find it for that cheap too.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 06:18:36 pm »
I found Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door at a Thrift Store a few months back for three bucks which is probably my best Thrift Store find ever, but I also found Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Wally Bear and the No! Gang and SimEarth at the same thrift store various times in 2018. Not incredible by any means, but for far cheaper than the eBay price.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 06:29:54 pm »
Yes better than the last 2 years

topspot123

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 04:45:02 pm »
My best find was about 4 years ago.  I got two of the three CD-i Zelda games.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHF52f3Vxos  My problem then as now is that I'm not actively looking to add to my collection.  I don't go thrifting very often.  I feel that I have enough retro stuff, and the few things that I still want are so rare. 

If I was assured to find something every once in a while, I would make more time to go.  As my collection was growing I frequented pawn shops, thrift stores, video stores (remember those?), and yard/garage/rummage sales.   But anymore I mostly only find stuff that I already have, or don't want.  After several strike outs I don't feel incentivised to go. 

Even so, earlier this year I was able to pick up at my thrift store some obscure title for our own super collector, theflea (https://vgcollect.com/theflea), that he didn't already have.  So I guess you never know.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:49:16 pm by topspot123 »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 09:11:22 pm »
Not as much but last year I found a 50 dollar gba game and Tetris (tengen) also around 50 dollars for 2 and 8 dollars not to bad imo.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 11:31:26 pm »
I found a copy of Super Bowling for N64 for $9.99 in a retro store in Chicago last August. Last 'steal' that I can think of.

I got a Halo Edition OG Xbox for $40 today in great condition, not a steal but still a decent deal considering it works perfectly.

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

kypherion

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 11:57:55 pm »
Well, at like Portland Retro Gaming Expo which is annual. Retro game trader's prices are about as fair as Ghosts n' Goblins. So on Ebay sure, but not in real life.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 08:22:56 am »
It definitely still happens, just not with the regularity that it used to, and it requires more searching.

thrift shops and auctions that don't really know what they have been my bread and butter for the last couple of years.  Final Fantasy VII black label for $2 at a local thrift shop and a sealed Uncharted 4 at Goodwill have been my best finds recently.

rayne315

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 11:03:11 am »
well it depends entirely on what you are looking for. I generally try not to collect pc games but I have noticed this year that they are making up the bulk of garage sale games. so by that if you collect pc games you would be loving this year where I live. other than that I have been right up there with you for ps2. primarily sports. but I have also found gba/ds/GC/and even a single sega cd game which this is the first year I have ever seen one at a garage sale.

but I am picking up a bunch of ps2 sports games this year for under a buck that I haven't seen in stores around me. for the longest time now gaming stores have not been accepting sports titles other than those just left so the sports titles are becoming more and more sparse. even so I probably would not buy them from those stores as they are typically $2-4.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully