Author Topic: What Gaming Console Is The Least Attractive To Look At On It's Exterior Design  (Read 2268 times)

What Is your lease favorite gaming device or console to look at, on the outside? For many it's the PlayStation 2 Phat models. For myself it doesn't matter to me how a console looks as long as it don't have a lot of stickers and doesn't  only appear in hot pink color. I would be a little embarrassed to have something like a pink Xbox or something. Although nothing wrong with pink consoles. ::)

But I will admit it would be actually cool to own a pink Xbox on second thought. 8) This discussion is meant for console design opinions not controllers again since we already recently described many times our least favorite controllers
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

My least favorite, only going by NES and on, I'd probably say the original Playstation 3.  It's a behemoth of a system and I hate the design of it.  I still remember the PS3 grill memes.  I think the only comparable system size wise would be like the original Xbox, but I like that one.

The original ps3 is on my list too- not for its size, but for its gloss. It's so hard to keep that thing clean, especially given the power "button" means you can accidentally turn it on while trying to dust/wipe it down. I have similar issues with the original Xbox- I'm glad mine is located in such a way I don't have to clean between all those ridges all the time.

For pure aesthetics, I'd go with the Master System. The original is overly big, with a weird asymmetrical design & that bizarre graphic showing how the system connects to the TV/its various parts. Which is still leagues better than the master system 2, which looks like a cheap Chinese knockoff of itself.

I'm assuming here that we're going with systems that were at least moderately successful- if we dig into the obscura, then the View-Master Interactive Vision takes the cake.

kashell

The original Xbox and the original Game Boy.

tripredacus

I never cared for Nintendo 64. The controllers look dumb too.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

I think the original Xbox looks great. It actually has a design element in mind. Yet the PS2 that generation was seriously an ugly, shapeless lump of black plastic and it somehow gets a pass. :o

Yeah, if you can't tell, PS2 gets my vote. Fantastic game library, ugly console.

Not a fan of the look of the Atari 2600 Jr., either. It's the rainbow logo, and the silver that always looks a bit tarnished by this point in time.

Oh, and the TurboGrafx-16. While it's library is damn underrated, the console itself looks like a shapeless, ugly black lump of plastic like the PS2.

Gotta say, I've always thought the Saturn looked quite handsome on a shelf, though.

PS2
Original model Xbox 360
Super slim PS3

tripredacus

PSOne wasn't too great either.

Not a fan of how the NES Top Loader looks, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's ugly.

Virtual Boy, it was even supposed to be a portable system. Awkward and ugly.

Flashback2012

I think the original Xbox looks great. It actually has a design element in mind. Yet the PS2 that generation was seriously an ugly, shapeless lump of black plastic and it somehow gets a pass. :o

Yeah, if you can't tell, PS2 gets my vote. Fantastic game library, ugly console.

Not a fan of the look of the Atari 2600 Jr., either. It's the rainbow logo, and the silver that always looks a bit tarnished by this point in time.

Oh, and the TurboGrafx-16. While it's library is damn underrated, the console itself looks like a shapeless, ugly black lump of plastic like the PS2.

Gotta say, I've always thought the Saturn looked quite handsome on a shelf, though.

I'd agree that the PS2 looks boring but I've always liked it. One thing that Sony continues to do is push for standing their consoles on their side. I've NEVER been fond of that and think they look dumb like that.

The original Xbox design was simple enough though I thought it looked silly when paired with a Duke controller. The Controller S was a HUGE step in the right direction. I think the original model XB360 looks worse than the OG Xbox, especially with the detachable HD on top. The redesign wasn't much better though I almost got in when they put out that Star Wars R2-D2 version.

For me, the least attractive systems would be the Intellivision and the wood-grained Atari 2600. The Colecovision with the controllers popped out isn't anything to look at either. Its "competition" the Atari 5200 is a hideous looking thing as well.

The reason we got that lump of plastic that is the TG-16 and not the super sexy looking PC Engine was because of FCC regulations at the time or so I'm led to believe. It didn't look nearly as bad once it was hooked up to the CD-Rom + Interface Unit though but it could never be as sexy as the PCE+CD-ROM+IFU.  :P

As far as the Saturn goes, I prefer the solid black (with round, not oval, buttons) to the white w/colors or the grey. The original US controller is an abomination though. The only console that Sega made that I didn't much care for the look of was the original Master System. It wasn't the worst but didn't seem as well put together as the NES. They made up for that though with the Power Base Converter which looked awesome when hooked up to the Genesis. A Model 1 Gen + Model 1 Sega CD + PBC is a beautiful sight.  ;)

Not sure which handheld/portable I'd give the "award" of least attractive to. Probably the Virtual Boy though it wasn't really a portable.  :P

aliensstudios

"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

stealthrush

Pico, 3DO, Jaguar, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, PlayStation 3, Xbox, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 2

I know of consoles so ugly, mortals don't even mention their names of fear or summoning the ancient spirit of their legacy that lays dormant for many moons.  A cult of the forbidden ones in which have been burried by Jesus before the second coming.  The prophecy forspoke of this day.  The page ripped from the bible.  But I have come to unleash the evil spirit of what lies within the musty plastic realm. The grandmother's closet realm. Where no sounds exist outside of the evil incessant screech of AOL dial up and the infamous beep boop of primitive gaming. 

Please block your eyes. You have been forewarned as we are now trapped in the matrix. You can already smell the yellowed bromine plastic. You can hear the static of a TV endlessly searching it's stations for a signal it will never find. Never ending white and black specs.  If you stare long enough you begin to see Ronald Reagan and the secrets the lizard members want to hide but by then you are too far gone to do anything about it. 

They are here.  The crypt has been opened and we can never turn back.  Farewell VG collect. Farewell.

tripredacus

They all look really nice in their original boxes tho.