Author Topic: Suggestion: Hybrid Games  (Read 1155 times)

Suggestion: Hybrid Games
« on: January 29, 2019, 11:31:09 pm »
Can games that were made to work on multiple platforms be given their own category?  I noticed this with Xbox Magazine demos that work with the Xbox and Xbox 360, that people added the game twice both for the original Xbox and then again for the 360, and I think it really clutters the site and makes inaccurate portrayal of the collector count.

I think giving a special category titled "Xbox/Xbox360 Hybrid Demo" for the demo discs and "Xbox/Xbox 360 Hybrid" for official release games (like Sneak King and the other Burger King games) would help a great deal in cleaning this up and making games easier to view within a user's collection.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:50:45 pm by seberhusky »

pzeke

Re: Suggestion: Hybrid Games
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 06:56:06 am »
I don't think that needs its own category - the description, I believe, is enough to state games like those working on multiple platforms. In fact, all three Burger King games state this in their description.

I get where you're coming from, but we can't control what people do with their collections. It's their choice if they want to add those games twice because they work on both the Xbox and Xbox 360. As far as I know, the database has no check that prevents stuff like that from happening.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 09:41:24 am »
Your/our best way to deal with this is simply using the duplicate listing thread to report the situation. When I picked up my copies of the Burger King trilogy, I posted the links to both listings & asked which system should keep the listing. Since the games are packaged with 360 colors, they kept the 360 listings and just made a notation in them that the games are dual-system. Currently those are, in fact, the only listings for those games.

Quite simply, there really aren't enough multi-system games like this to really warrant separate categories- especially given that the vast majority of titles would be demo discs for Xbox anyway. At best, I think a separate Xbox demo category might be worthwhile... but I think sorting them based on packaging is also just fine. Basically, if it looks like a 360 demo, then it's a 360 demo, even if it works on OG, and vice-versa.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 12:20:18 pm »
There would be too many categories and it would get confusing. Especially when it came to PC games.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 08:54:16 pm »
I've always wondered how I should add this sometime, I got this over the summer and both games are there physically. Dead or Alive 5+ (Vita) came out after Dead or Alive 5 (PS3).
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00AZVKYU0
https://twitter.com/BigOnAnime/status/1001621010226040833

Really wish there were more releases like this, was never a fan of how crossbuy worked in regards to physical copies, especially also with PS Vita memory cards being expensive.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 11:40:43 pm »
I've always wondered how I should add this sometime, I got this over the summer and both games are there physically. Dead or Alive 5+ (Vita) came out after Dead or Alive 5 (PS3).
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00AZVKYU0
https://twitter.com/BigOnAnime/status/1001621010226040833

Really wish there were more releases like this, was never a fan of how crossbuy worked in regards to physical copies, especially also with PS Vita memory cards being expensive.

I'd list it under PS3, given it's in a PS3-sized box with PS3 grey coloring as opposed to vita blue... but this bundle apparently released the same day as the standalone vita title. That suggests it was targeting the vita owners (one would assume the ps3 owners would have bought it already). So if you'd prefer it be under vita, there's justification for it.

Up to you, really.

pzeke

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 06:16:30 am »
As hoshichiri stated, you can list it under either PS3 or PSVita, although I also agree with her in that listing it under PSVita seems like the better choice. If you want to, you can list them separately for each category, too, using the description box to specify where they come from. However, given you own the whole package, the first option works best.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!