Author Topic: Just got an email about a digital platform I used closing down (UltraViolet UV)  (Read 2684 times)

We are writing to inform you that the UltraViolet service is planning to shut down on July 31, 2019. You are receiving this message because you signed up for an UltraViolet Library or for a service that created an UltraViolet Library for you.

What does this mean for you?

Between January 31 and July 31, 2019

You can continue to access your UltraViolet movies and TV shows through the retailer(s) linked to your UltraViolet Library.
You can also continue to purchase new movies and TV shows and redeem digital codes by following the redemption instructions. Depending on the retailer, these new purchases and redemptions may or may not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
Linking your UltraViolet Library to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption.

After the shutdown date

Your UltraViolet Library will automatically close and, in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers.
You can continue to make online purchases and redeem codes, but these may only be available through that retailer, and will not be added to your UltraViolet Library.

What should you do now?

As soon as possible, login at
myuv.com and choose
Retailer Services to verify the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library. If your Library is not currently linked to a retailer or if you would like to link to additional participating retailers, select one or more retailers to link to your UltraViolet
Library.
Don't unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows.

Look for further communications from UltraViolet and your retailers over the coming months, as some retailers may disconnect from UltraViolet before July 31.

Some details may be updated, so visit
myuv.com/faq often for the most current information and answers to frequently asked questions.

Thank you for making UltraViolet part of how you enjoy digital entertainment. Please do not hesitate to contact customer support at customercare@uvvu.com if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

The UltraViolet Team

Digital isn't so great now is it?  ;)  I own over 400+ DVD's and VHS, so I can watch a movie any time I want no matter if 5 days or 10 years later, never used or cared about digital in the slightest. I seen their flyers all the time in every DVD I buy and threw the codes out. I always laugh when people get mad when Netflix raises the prices or removes their shows they paid for because the studio lost the rights to it.  ;D

aliensstudios

Hey, I got that e-mail too. I guess my digital copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 won't last forever. I actually forgot I had the account until that e-mail showed up. More reason to stay with physical copies as long as possible.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

pzeke

Sucks for sure. But hey, services like this don't last forever, so hopefully you enjoyed the ride while it lasted.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

it sucks, but for me personally i got all my vudu digital copies for free with buying the physical copys.

All the movies I had on there were digital codes contained in physical blu ray copies of movies.

I had like Man of Steel, Men & Black 3 and Despicable Me.

Never used it but still kind of a bummer.

You used to be able to sell your blu ray copy and still have this digital library.

It sounds like you can link your UV to something else and keep access to your library but I can’t be bothered.

aliensstudios

All the movies I had on there were digital codes contained in physical blu ray copies of movies.

You used to be able to sell your blu ray copy and still have this digital library.

It sounds like you can link your UV to something else and keep access to your library but I can’t be bothered.
I just rip all of my physical movies on Blu-Ray and DVD using handbrake, that way I can put them on my iPod touch or my SD card / USB media player. I know vudu is supposed to offer that but I find it easier to just rip the file most of the time.

Do you ever have issues with discs just not reading to be ripped?  Like they play fine, but you can’t get Handbrake (or MakeMKV) to generate a file?

kypherion

Use movies anywhere. People may act like physical media is the shit but Movies anywhere is linked with Itunes, UV etc... Digital > VHS, DVD etc...
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

aliensstudios

Do you ever have issues with discs just not reading to be ripped?  Like they play fine, but you can’t get Handbrake (or MakeMKV) to generate a file?
It happens from time to time, sometimes rips will fail too. I don't really ever have issues with DVD but various Blu-ray discs have given me some trouble. Also, newer discs generate all of these dummy files that look like the feature film and usually Handbrake can tell which file is the actual file but sometimes it'll rip the null dummy file. I always just click preview to make sure it's ripping the actual movie.

This is why I try to ensure all of my movies are physical, whether it's 16mm, 35mm, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, UMD, Blu-Ray or 4K. However, my sister prefers watching on her iPod, thus she likes digital copies. I try to get Physical/Digital combos for her.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 05:21:51 pm by courtlyhades296 »

I knew somebody who would keep the hard copy and sell the digital code for $3.

I never used the digital codes. I felt it was BS to put an expiration date on them as well.

It happens from time to time, sometimes rips will fail too. I don't really ever have issues with DVD but various Blu-ray discs have given me some trouble. Also, newer discs generate all of these dummy files that look like the feature film and usually Handbrake can tell which file is the actual file but sometimes it'll rip the null dummy file. I always just click preview to make sure it's ripping the actual movie.

Interesting.  I've had no issues with the Blus and it has only been with DVDs.

aliensstudios

Interesting.  I've had no issues with the Blus and it has only been with DVDs.
You use a Mac or PC? I got a Mac mini about a year ago and now all of my files write directly to an 2TB USB drive and sometimes they fail just because the drive only is powered by a single 3.0 USB, I also have an external disc drive too.

PC with an internal disc drive writing to an 8tb external.