Author Topic: How do you feel about always online games?  (Read 2601 times)

How do you feel about always online games?
« on: February 01, 2019, 07:11:25 pm »
You know the ones that say 'requires internet' or similar on the box.

I know it shouldn't bother me but it kinda does.

I just jump to 'so if my internet drops out I can't play this' - my internet almost never goes out but still - it's the principle.

My mind also jumps to 'so I'm always gonna have to give money to MS/Sony for Gold or PS+ just to run this thing'.

It puts me off.

Games like Anthem and Division 2 I'd probably enjoy playing as a single player experience but there's just something wrong about always online even for single player.

It hasn't stopped me always from playing something I was really interested in, I played HITMAN and paid full price for instance despite it being always online. But I do routinely rule always online games out just cause it kinda irks me if I wanted the game for single player.

I waited a super long time for a good racing game on PS4 and when I heard GT Sport was always online even to play what little single player content it had I didn't even bother with it even to this day when it's probably 10 bucks.

Re: How do you feel about always online games?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 07:21:11 pm »
I only liked and played the free games that are for free online, if it's not free I haven't played any pay to play online video games
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 10:26:43 pm »
I'm not a fan of online gaming in any way, shape or form. Even if it's a single player game that requires a constant online connection, I don't see any benefit to me for it to be online always. In fact, if I can't go online then I can't play my game which obviously makes such a component a liability. And then there is online multiplayer which I have mostly never been a fan of save a few games that have minimal interaction with the people you are playing with.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 11:23:36 pm »
I hate it, and it's always a cop-out so the developers can push games out faster. In 5-6 years when the servers are killed off, then the game becomes as worthless as a Madden NFL game as it's not playable anymore.  I have anxiety over getting free time to play "The Crew" because of this issue. I don;t want the servers killed before I even get a chance to take it out of the wrapper.

pzeke

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 12:02:00 am »
Biggest POS scam ever as far as I'm concerned.

That's that.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 12:27:52 am »
there ok as long as the servers are online but its a waste after the servers go down

mark1982

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 06:54:22 am »
I stay away from them.. that’s the main reason why I have zero interest in Anthem. Disappointing to see BioWare follow this route. I just hope their upcoming Dragon Age game doesn’t follow the same always online style.
  l    l 

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 07:18:36 am »
Nothing wrong with them as long as the game makes sense.  Anthem, Division, Destiny, they are built primarily as multiplayer games, that can be generally played solo, so it's not a huge issue to me in particular.  I only have a problem with it if the online is unnecessary to the actual experience, but usually is just done as a means of DRM or some other bad reason.  I think it was a Ubisoft game a few years back, where the game had issues, so anyone that bought the game couldn't play, but those playing a ripped pirated copy could, because they didn't have to stick with the pointless online.  I just don't want to play a singleplayer game that if I lose internet, I can't play anymore.  Not an issue I come across much.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 08:39:26 am »
No offline mode(s)=No buy, no exceptions.

The moment I hear a game is always-online, I instantly lose any interest I may have had. Need for Speed 2015 was always-online, and despite how much I love the NFS games (have almost every game from Hot Pursuit 2 to Payback), I will never buy it unless an offline patch is released (looking incredibly unlikely). When the servers for these games are shut off, you can't play them anymore, and every copy in the world becomes a coaster (Ex: MAG for the PS3). I'd rather not have a timer attached to my games, I still go back and play games that were made ages ago, and seek them out, that would not be possible to really do if they were always-online. I also don't really bother with online multiplayer much, there's only a very small handful of games I really played a lot online back on the PS3.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 11:16:06 am »
Depends on whether it will still be playable when they take the servers down.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 06:46:45 pm »

also this in my opinion
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

kypherion

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 07:25:41 pm »
It sucks when a game you love gets older and then shuts down inevitably.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 08:24:17 pm »

This

ferraroso

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 08:50:21 pm »
I think the only exclusively online game I've ever played was Destiny.
At the time, I paid almost full retail price for it and, even though I know it will be unplayable in the future (actually, it is already barely playable now, haha), due to the hundreds of ours of fun I had with it, I don't regret on having bought it. However, I admit that enjoyment I had from Destiny came much more from the fact that I was able to chat with childhood friends while playing it them from the game itself.

Due to the current political situation in Brazil, I don't see myself having contact with most of those guys in the near future, so I don't think I'd be able to have fun with online only games anymore...
And I'd never buy a online only single player game. Heck, I don't even buy offline digital games! Haha!

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 01:48:52 am »
I'm not a fan of online gaming in any way, shape or form.
Right there with ya.
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)