Author Topic: Do you like collector's/limited/special editions of things?  (Read 1420 times)

Do you like collector's/limited/special editions of things?
« on: February 03, 2019, 12:16:27 pm »
Isn't it kinda messed up that they are manufactured to be of appeal rather than organically being something desirable (i.e. old, out of print, rare, nostalgic with passage of time)?

aliensstudios

Re: Do you like collector's/limited/special editions of things?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 12:33:23 pm »
I'm going to say that since this is a video game collector's website, the answer for most people is probably going to be... yeah?
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 01:05:47 pm »
I'm going to say that since this is a video game collector's website, the answer for most people is probably going to be... yeah?

But the focus is retro video games not manufactured plastic tchotchkes or alternative slip cases etc.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 01:06:08 pm »
I'm actually very picky when it comes to buying Collector's/Limited Editions of games. At one point I used to buy them for any game I had interest in, but after a couple years of doing this I just found that they took up too much space and often the contents included didn't justify the money I spent or they space they occupied. Now I only buy collectors editions that have stuff in them that actually really appeals to me and it has to be for a game or franchise I really, really like. It almost becomes a big deal now when I buy a collectors edition since I almost never do anymore.

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 02:17:15 pm »

But the focus is retro video games not manufactured plastic tchotchkes or alternative slip cases etc.
Yeah I guess if it's 40 extra bucks for a plastic figure in a slightly bigger box like the garbage collector's edition for Marvel vs. Capcom Ultimate. Not all collector's editions are a bad value though. We have collector's editions, figures, steelbooks, alternate covers, modern games and whatnot in the database so I'm not sure where you're going with that not being the focus, but are you saying that current-gen special editions won't be desirable in the future like retro games are now just because there weren't special edition games in the 80s and 90s? By definition, won't collector's editions become old, out of print and rare with the passage of time?
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

ferraroso

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 06:28:31 pm »
Well, now that games are so expensive to produce, I think special editions are a valid strategy for the companies to make more money from their costumers. For me, it is much better than selling season passes and day 1 DLCs.
I very rarely buy them, though...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:59:35 am by ferraroso »

kypherion

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 11:51:03 pm »
 I love them, I don't have a lot of them I love the way limited/collectors/first day/WTF looks on a shelf. Granted some are easy to come by but it's so cool looking on a shelf and seeing them. I have a friend who has a lot of them and I'm always in awe whenever I hang out with him. Now don't get me wrong there's dumb ones, but like Halo Reach limited edition for example that's perfect for someone who loves the lore as it's included with Dr. Halsey's journal. Others come with other unique stuff like the Four Swords Adventures cable bundle which I'd love to own someday.

Another one i'm obsessed with is the steelbooks. I own the Halo 2 and 3 steelbooks and they're awesome. I just love them. I'd love to own the smash ultimate one someday too along with various other steelbooks.

In short, yes I like collector's/limited/special editions of things.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 12:09:55 am »

As far as I'm concerned, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head here.

I don't need figures, diorama displays, keychains, shot glasses, ill fitting t-shirts, or any of the other assorted tat most collector's editions come with. I don't particularly care about special DLC weapons or outfits either. The vast majority of the collector's bonuses come off as wastes of space, money, or both.

I will occasionally shell out for more notable added content, however- extra character DLC, soundtracks, artbooks, that kinda thing. Not often anymore, but when it's a game I enjoy/expect to enjoy & the extras don't take up too much space, it's nice.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 01:22:30 pm »
Really depends...I only have a couple myself. I only get them if I want something inside. I'm a sucker for some soundtrack CDs for instance. I've never gotten a collector's edition that cost more than $80 though I'm pretty sure.

pzeke

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 03:47:40 pm »
Usually the statues that some of these editions include is what tends to pique my interest, so I'd rather go on eBay and see if there are listings for just that in particular. These editions are often very pricey, so I can't never bring myself to justify purchasing them. In fact, the only special edition I own is for inFamous 2, and that's because I snagged it at a ridiculous price off of eBay a few years ago.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

kashell

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 09:02:25 am »
Like others have said, it depends. It has to be for a franchise I really like, and even that can have some exceptions. Look at the special edition for Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition. It looks ridiculous and costs far too much. So, hard pass on that.

Kudos to seether for using the word "tchotchkes." That's one of my favorite words because consonants.

shatterstar69

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 06:55:52 am »
I used to buy every Special or Collectors edition I could get my hands on.  I have 4 shelves in my game room devoted to them.  Now, I just don’t have the space to display the stuff and what good does it do sitting in a box somewhere?  Also, I collect comics and Magic cards as other hobbies and it’s getting very expensive supporting all this!  (I used to pride myself on being one of the few at GameStop midnight launches walking out with a huge box.  Some people were especially jealous of my Witcher 3 Collector’s Edition)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:57:47 am by shatterstar69 »
Time to make the donuts!