Author Topic: Is DLC for the Switch region locked?  (Read 1338 times)

Is DLC for the Switch region locked?
« on: February 05, 2019, 06:15:57 pm »
I'm new to the Switch and have searched the web for info on whether DLC for the Switch is region locked (as is the case for PS4 and XB1 DLC) or not. Everyone and their mother seem to have an opinion on the matter but I've yet to come across a somewhat straight answer.

I have a European Switch account and since I'll likely be importing quite a few North American releases I'm curious if I will be able to use DLC downloaded via my EU account with these.
I realize that localization could be an issue with some Asian releases.

I also realize that creating different accounts for different regions could be a workaround but I prefer having just one account if possible. Also, since matching credit cards for the different regions are required I believe the only payment alternative is store credit bought from Amazon, Play-Asia, etc, which I personally think is too much of a hassle.
Not that I will be buying much DLC anyway, but often some sort of DLC code is included with physical releases (even though we all know they should be on the cartridge to begin with), and those I want to be able to redeem if possible.

Any thoughts/facts/suggestions/etc.? :)

aliensstudios

Re: Is DLC for the Switch region locked?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 12:23:32 pm »
I think it all really depends on the game. I know for sure some DLC is locked to the eShop region of the game but thankfully you can change your eShop region by changing your Nintendo Account country. Just make sure to spend any stored funds in the eShop before you change regions because the amount won't be carried over to the new eShop region.

I'm curious, what games do we have in North America worth importing that you don't have in Europe?
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 01:16:04 pm »
The question? I am not sure

It may or may not be a good idea to change the country of account when you currently live somewhere else, I know the consequences I've had with making a European account, for my PlayStation 3 was the fact that the YouTube app was completely unavailable. But that was SONY

Also logically your currency would be incorrect and you may not be able to successfully buy anything from the switch store, and account wise you would (if your change or your account), may even need to name a valid street or location address from across the world. That does not have another switch account tied to it, in order to make an account change
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 01:24:05 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 01:31:56 pm »
The question? I am not sure

It may or may not be a good idea to change the country of account when you currently live somewhere else, I know the consequences I've had with making a European account, for my PlayStation 3 was the fact that the YouTube app was completely unavailable. But that was SONY

Also logically your currency would be incorrect and you may not be able to successfully buy anything from the switch store, and account wise you would (if your change or your account), may even need to name a valid street or location address from across the world. That does not have another switch account tied to it, in order to make an account change

I've switched eShop regions multiple time to buy games. You don't have to provide a street address, the biggest hassle is purchasing currency for that shop's region. It definitely isn't as restricted as PS3's PSN. Games from multiple regions even coexist in the Switch's dashboard.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 01:34:08 pm by aliensstudios »
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 06:51:54 pm »
Thanks for the inputs :)

Okay, so multiple accounts or region switches seems to be needed then. That's a shame, I prefer just using one account and simply paying with my Visa card regardless of currency, region, etc. I rarely buy DLC but I do like to buy collector's edition box sets, and once in a while they come with season passes and other DLC bonuses that I will want to redeem.

As for NA games I will be importing I will likely be getting some LRG releases and also games that have a packaging I prefer over EU releases (examples: Octopath Traveler Wayfarer's Edition and Super Mario Odyssey Starter Pack edition). I will also be getting different Asian releases, like Play-Asia exclusives for example.

Basically I prefer not having to worry about region at all, I prefer just getting the version I like the best, be it European, North American, Asian, or whatever. Same with movies but getting a region free player solves that, little harder with games and DLC :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:54:10 pm by medisto »