Author Topic: If you could only own one out of either the next xbox or the next playstation...  (Read 3746 times)

Based on the nothing you currently know about them, which one would you pick?

Playstation in a heartbeat and I say that as someone that was all over the Xbox 360 during that gen.  Backwards compatibility is cool, but I don't buy a brand new console to play old games I've already played, and if the rumor for the PS5 is true, they might also be doing some backwards compatibility too.  Sony showed that they could get the games and that is what it is important.

PS5 no questions. Sony systems have been more reliable overall and have more exclusives.

If this gen and the previous gen have been anything to go off of, PS5 without a doubt. XBOX has mostly been a Halo/Forza/Gears exclusive box, with a few other decent exclusives thrown in here and there. In all seriousness I sometimes wonder why Microsoft even stays in the console business. I plan on getting an XBONE someday, but I can't see myself paying for than $50 for one since there are only a dozen games maybe I want for it that I can't play anywhere else. I'm guessing the next XBOX will be no different.

If I had to pick right now? Neither- becuase I don't trust either company to not consider some digital-only BS, and I'm not interested in such a thing.

And if that locks me out of the next console generation, so be it- I've got enough to play as it is.

I prefer Xbox's controller so I usually buy games on it (I do have ps4 tho) but Playstation has way better exclusives so PS5

kypherion

PS5, xbox isn't worth it for me.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

I prefer Xbox's controller so I usually buy games on it (I do have ps4 tho) but Playstation has way better exclusives so PS5

The only big plus of the Xbox was this.  I can use the PS controller fine, but I genuinely like the Xbox controller more, particularly 360 controller.  I am still using the same wired Xbox 360 controller I've had for many years on my PC.  I can't say much about the Xbone controller, I've only used it a few times, but I like the layout more.  The analog stick layout is just more comfortable along with the shape.

dreama1

The xbox has been a dead brand since the early 10s.

dashv

PRO Supporter

I’m gonna break ranks here and say Xbox.

I own both a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X and have been playing them on a 4K HDR tv.

Microsoft really listened to gamer and developer feedback before delivering the XBox One X. It’s amazing. They’ve also stated repeatedly that they are committed long term to backward compatibility. Sony is filing patents and making vague statements but honestly will drop the feature completely if it can save them a few dollars (like they did with PS3). Sony has had some good exclusives and will continue to have some. Detroit Become Human and Horizon Zero dawn are fine examples and the only games that have managed to tear me away from my x1x.

All multi plats I’m now playing on Xbox One. They generally look better and play faster (framerate). All my 4K blu rays can only be used in my Xbox One. All my streaming I’m doing with my Xbox One becuase unlimited cloud save space makes it easy for me to use a second console setup and dedicated to streaming.

Microsoft’s platform has grown the most this generation. Game Pass was a genius idea. Meanwhile PS Plus just dropped PS3 and Vita support one year after raising prices and wants me to pay more to upload the rest of my saves.

That said, I will do what I did this generation. Get both. Only buying one is not an option if you really love games because both will have good games.

I’m gonna break ranks here and say Xbox.

I own both a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X and have been playing them on a 4K HDR tv.

Microsoft really listened to gamer and developer feedback before delivering the XBox One X. It’s amazing. They’ve also stated repeatedly that they are committed long term to backward compatibility. Sony is filing patents and making vague statements but honestly will drop the feature completely if it can save them a few dollars (like they did with PS3). Sony has had some good exclusives and will continue to have some. Detroit Become Human and Horizon Zero dawn are fine examples and the only games that have managed to tear me away from my x1x.

All multi plats I’m now playing on Xbox One. They generally look better and play faster (framerate). All my 4K blu rays can only be used in my Xbox One. All my streaming I’m doing with my Xbox One becuase unlimited cloud save space makes it easy for me to use a second console setup and dedicated to streaming.

Microsoft’s platform has grown the most this generation. Game Pass was a genius idea. Meanwhile PS Plus just dropped PS3 and Vita support one year after raising prices and wants me to pay more to upload the rest of my saves.

That said, I will do what I did this generation. Get both. Only buying one is not an option if you really love games because both will have good games.

Those are some good differences to set apart the Xbox One X.  I personally have no interest in 4k, even though I technically own a 4k tv (It was just more affordable to buy when I was looking for a new TV), and won't get into it for probably years to come, but if people do like that, the Xbox One X is certainly more enticing.  For me, it's more about the games and the PS's exclusives overwhelm the Xbox ones while still having the multi-platform ones, so it wins out pretty easily.

ferraroso

Based on what was offered by the Xbox One, I would rather stick with my PS4 than getting an Xbox XX (or whatever terrible name they will choose for their next platform).

soera

What is either going to offer to the general public to make them want to buy it? PlayStation - games. Xbox - specifications. Which one is more appealing?

I know everyone says PlayStation is better but the battery life of the controller has drove me up the wall this gen. It dies before I can conclude a single gaming session.

Agozer

I know everyone says PlayStation is better but the battery life of the controller has drove me up the wall this gen. It dies before I can conclude a single gaming session.
Sounds like you really need to get a new controller then.

Anyway, PlayStation it is.