Author Topic: Nintendo Online: Opinions?  (Read 1160 times)

gf78

Nintendo Online: Opinions?
« on: February 10, 2019, 02:03:52 pm »
I'm not & never have been a big fan of online gaming. The Switch is Nintendo's first console to require a paid subscription for online play. Admittedly,  Nintendo is way behind the curve in features, perks and network stability. A year of the service costs $19.99, which boils down to $1.66 per month. I give more change out than that a week for a buddy that gets mandatoried for overtime to buy a bottle of soda. So what does that $1.66 per month - or 5 cents a day - get me?

• Online Play
    NES Games with online multiplayer
    Cloud game saves backup

I think Nintendo has some real work to do. They need to work on the network infrastructure to make gameplay smoother. They need to offer discounts on digital titles for members.  And they really need to get voice chat as a standard feature without using your cell phone. Adding SNES games would be a huge boost.

So while the service is definitely lacking, Im getting more than a nickels worth of entertainment a day from it, especially in the Special NES game selections. Thoughts?
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

aliensstudios

Re: Nintendo Online: Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:13:15 pm »
I've played the NES apps library of games for probably +20 hours so far, but in terms of online play, almost never. I thought I'd get a lot of use out of it for Smash Bros. but I feel like Smash Bros. Ultimate's online was a huge step back from Wii U and 3DS. I wish you could just buy the NES app outright instead of having to have the one year subscription for it. The online isn't worth it aside from that app for me.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:25:57 pm »
It's crap, but it's also cheap crap.  Because of that, it's hard to be incredibly upset about it, but I think it's one of Nintendo failings with the Switch.  I like the system, but the lack of regular good releases last year, the lack of good updates for the Switch itself, and the half-assed online service are definitely a big negative on the system.  All they had to do was make a service comparable to that of the Xbox 360, a 14 year old system at this point, and they couldn't even get close to it.  Once they add SNES or other systems to the list and the monthly releases don't look so pitiful, I probably won't mind it as much, but I'm worried that as they add more, they'll start looking at raising the cost.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 08:27:43 pm »
I'm splitting the subscription with 7 others- I think it comes out to $9 a year.  I guess the service is worth that, have not been too impressed with it so far.  But with it being so cheap, really hard to complain about it.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 09:01:15 pm »
I'm splitting the subscription with 7 others- I think it comes out to $9 a year.  I guess the service is worth that, have not been too impressed with it so far.  But with it being so cheap, really hard to complain about it.

Sounds like you may be getting ripped off.  It is $20 a year for a single account.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 03:51:24 pm »
I think people need to grow up. It would be nice to have snes, n64 and all the other systems that the wii u had. That's still not important because i know how to download an emulator and open a rom.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 03:53:17 pm »

Sounds like you may be getting ripped off.  It is $20 a year for a single account.

They might not be usd. also its $35 for multiple in us so.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 06:59:24 am »

They might not be usd. also its $35 for multiple in us so.

That's still almost half as much as $9 a month for 7 people ($63 a year).