Author Topic: Opinions on the February 2019 Nintendo Direct?  (Read 3268 times)

gf78

Opinions on the February 2019 Nintendo Direct?
« on: February 14, 2019, 08:49:15 am »
So for those that watched, what did you think?  I was pretty impressed, even without an announcement of Metroid Prime Trilogy. For those who missed it, here's what was announced/covered:

Super Mario Maker 2 for Switch...coming in June!

Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening is being remade for Switch and will be released this year!

Platinum Games has an all-new Switch exclusive coming called Astral Chain. Bayonetta 3 was mentioned as under steady development.

Dragon Quest XI is getting a definitive edition release on Switch with a retro-mode giving the game 16-bit graphics. Nice!

Square's retro studio Tokyo RPG Factory is making a new Switch titke called Oninaki.

Fire Emblem Three Houses has been bumped back to a summer release and will be available in a slick Collector's Edition.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is now being updated with a new co-op mode and has a DKC pack on the way.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate will be going to version 3.0 this summer.

New Amiibos were briefly shown, including Snake & Simon Belmont!

Tetris 99 is available now on the eShop for all Nintendo Online subscribers.

Box Boy and Box Girl will be making its Switch debut this year.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: Opinions on the February 2019 Nintendo Direct?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 09:31:58 am »
Opening with Mario Maker 2 actually throttled my enthusiasm for the rest of the Direct.  I don't think there was anything bad, per se, but MM2 has been one of my most wanted games for the system since launch.

But then that Link's Awakening reveal happened and my jaw dropped.  And the gameplay reveal happened and my jaw dropped again.  Talk about coming out of left field.  So now, coupled with FE: Three Houses, which I already have a pre-order on, I'll be getting at least 3 new Switch titles this year.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 10:58:09 am »
Disappointed no pokemanz

kypherion

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 11:58:42 am »
Just really Hyped about Bloodstained. Being a long time Castlevania and IGAvania fan I cannot wait for Bloodstained!
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 01:02:16 pm »
I used to go into Nintendo Directs with fairly high expectations, but after a lot of lackluster and just downright bad Nintendo Directs my outlook on them in definitely less optimistic. With that said, I felt like yesterday's Direct was above average, with games like Link's Awakening and Bloodstained really peaking my interest. I can see other people getting excited for a few other things they announced, but honestly those were really the only things that peaked my interest, however mild it was. I'm also fairly excited for the new Yoshi game, but that was hardly anything new. Did play the demo last night and really liked what I played.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 01:35:31 pm »
I'm still hoping for a physical release of Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Everybuddy.

spac316

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 01:44:14 pm »
I thought it was good. I'm so looking forward to Mario Maker 2 and Link's Awakening remake! The Smash Ultimate news was short but I'm sure they're saving it till later. At least we have an estimated release window for the Joker DLC pack.

Tetris 99 is really fun!

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 03:47:07 pm »
It was a pretty good direct. 

Super Mario Maker 2 will of course be cool.  I didn't get into it at the time on Wii U, but I may try again.

Link's Awakening is just gonna be a quality Zelda time, even if I don't really love the art style they chose.  Would've rather they pulled an Octopath Traveler, or just did more of a Link Between Worlds enhanced style than whatever the sorta toy/claymation feel they have going on here.

Astral Chain was a great surprise, even if we got no Bayonetta 3 news.  It of course looks like a fun time.

Release window for Bloodstained is great as a kickstarter backer.

Oninaki could be a fun little action adventure rpg.

And the demo and release date for Daemon x Machina is very welcome.  I'm not in love with the gameplay right now, it's good, but it's a little slower and more basic than I expected, but I liked that you can loot Arsenals for new parts, the art style is great, and the music is rocking.

hexen

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 05:32:11 pm »
Eh, I'd say it was mediocre to bad.

Mario Maker 2 is fun, though I really think all those features should have been in the first game to begin with.
Ports, meh. Not interesting.
Link's Awakening remake... super meh. Maybe a new 2D Zelda instead?
Fire Emblem... there is just too much Fire Emblem now, and the direction the series is going is not to my liking.
That new Platinum game seems interesting, but not the kind of game I personally care about. Same with Deamon Ex Machina.

No Pokemon, Smash, Animal Crossing, or Luigi's Mansion news... basically all the big things that are interesting. No interesting new Nintendo stuff, be it continuing series or new IP. The whole thing just failed to hype me up for Nintendo's first party stuff, but at least I am getting a slow but consistent stream of physically released indie games I want from place like LRG and SRG for the Switch.

Maybe it also didn't help for positivity watching the direct through Metokur's stream, but at least the man is honest about his opinions.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

wolfen

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 01:50:52 am »
Link's Awakening looks absolutely gorgeous. I have never played it and that trailer got me so excited.

I might have to finally pick up Captain Toad with the extra DLC that's coming.

Super Mario Maker 2 is a great announcement but, it doesn't personally excite me.

I'm not sure what to make of the new Fire Emblem game. It looks very different from the previous iterations and not in a great way but, I've never played an FE game so I can't really know.

mark1982

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 03:45:35 am »
Overall pretty good, some nice announcements to look forward to especially Link's Awakening (played it numerous times on long travels).

Waiting for Dragon Quest on the Switch and keeping a lookout for Astral Chain, can always count on Platinum Games.
  l    l 

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 04:43:31 am »
It was decent. I liked the announcement of Super Mario Maker 2 and I liked all the free stuff like Tetris 99, Daemon X Machina thing, Deltarune coming soon and the AMAZING Yoshi demo. I've played the one level like 6 times already. So excited for that game to release.

Dragon Quest XI content being exclusive is pretty wack. Dead by Daylight and AC III looked atrocious.

I wish it was Mario Party getting more DLC and not.. Captain Toad? Pretty random choice of game to support.

Super lame we didn't see anything Animal Crossing, I was also hoping the rumored Pikmin 3 port would show up.

Zelda was.. fine. It doesn't look worth $60 to me since there have been so many games like it from indie developers like Oceanhorn for example.

Everything else.. not super interested in.

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 08:20:22 am »
It was decent. I liked the announcement of Super Mario Maker 2 and I liked all the free stuff like Tetris 99, Daemon X Machina thing, Deltarune coming soon and the AMAZING Yoshi demo. I've played the one level like 6 times already. So excited for that game to release.

Dragon Quest XI content being exclusive is pretty wack. Dead by Daylight and AC III looked atrocious.

I wish it was Mario Party getting more DLC and not.. Captain Toad? Pretty random choice of game to support.

Super lame we didn't see anything Animal Crossing, I was also hoping the rumored Pikmin 3 port would show up.

Zelda was.. fine. It doesn't look worth $60 to me since there have been so many games like it from indie developers like Oceanhorn for example.

Everything else.. not super interested in.

oceanhorn looks pretty crappy and cheap but that's just my opinion

Zelda's awakening for switch looks interesting though but who knows it might just be 40$ as a brand new price we'll see.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 08:31:41 am »
Zelda's awakening for switch looks interesting though but who knows it might just be 40$ as a brand new price we'll see.

This will be my big sticking point for LA.  It's one of my absolute favorite Zelda games, but it's still going to be a remake of a Game Boy game.  If Captain Toad can retail at $40, this can too.

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 10:36:49 am »
I'm so stoked for Rune Factory 4 remastered and RF5!

Also both Dragon Quest 11 and Builders 2, FE, Yoshi, and Zelda are def on my acquisition list. I'm intrigued to see more on Oninaki in the future. Maybe this could convince me to get Captain Toad as well, I'm a sucker for couch co-op.

Also Tetris 99 ain't half bad.