Author Topic: Have you ever noticed with blu rays on ebay ...  (Read 1180 times)

Have you ever noticed with blu rays on ebay ...
« on: March 13, 2019, 07:47:40 pm »
If you search 'blu ray' then go to auction only then sort by ending soonest, there are pages and pages of things that have no bids and just aren't selling, even at £0.99 (the lowest they can be on ebay)?

I'm really into watching collection videos, hoarding up videos, physical media debates and things of that nature on YouTube.

The passion is really cool to watch. It's a little sad to see that people can't give the stuff away.

I know it's not about the money, I'm just talking the general public perception of blu rays - anecdotally people who want them physically seem to be a tiny minority and the demand isn't there.

I also know old titles lose cultural significance and most everything depreciates in value, but when you look at PS4 games, even the old games sell.

Blu-ray Disc titles started to release in 2006 so maybe there's 13 years of shovelware there to obscure.

But I don't know man - I've watched and read a lot about this kinda stuff and DVD still outsells blu ray and Samsung aren't making more blu ray players. If DVD outsells that means there's more DVD players out there and people aren't interested in upgrading, people who want this physical media are probably older people who grew up with DVDs, and they're sticking to that format.

We're in the middle of a cultural shift where people don't want discs of stuff in their houses and don't want to go to the cinema, but just want to stream or download or watch Netflix.

Re: Have you ever noticed with blu rays on ebay ...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 08:00:58 pm »
I guess it just makes sense right. It's way more convenient to search the name of a movie in say iTunes like a search engine and then hit play than it is to wait for a disc to come in the mail, or to drive to a store like Target or Best Buy and browse for it.

Logistically an online storefront is much easier to have massive amounts of movies there for browsing than a physical retail space too. So it's also more convenient for the distributor of movies, especially when it comes to older movies. Plus there's no shipping, storage, packaging etc. etc.

Thinking it through it's really just an obvious and natural progression, for consumers and for studios. As much as I can understand romanticizing a physical library/collection of movies - why would the average person bother anymore.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:19:50 pm »

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 07:14:49 am »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:18:06 am »
I may not use Ebay, but as far as DVD's go not too many people switched to Blu-ray to my knowledge yet because people seem to be happy or just fine with DVDs I guess?

I am also not a movie person, but I know in my area and online even PS3 Blu-Ray games were cheaper than DVD PS2 games or at least for a long time in most places :-\

If I were into movies I would buy Blu-rays because they don't scratch as easy as DVD, and I guess Blu-rays suppose to last longer? But I even had my used PS3 Blu-rays come to disc rot but all I can say is, Blu-rays don't scratch as easy :-\
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:27:42 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 10:53:51 am »
I'm starting to see why people don't like your posts.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 01:12:07 pm »
There's plenty of one-cent auctions in the gaming category that are coming to an end with no bids as well- just not as easy to find since the price range there is bigger.

There's two things to keep in mind with movies versus games: they're notably more mainstream, and faster to consume. Think about it- you spend twoish hours watching a movie, and then it's over. It doesn't change if you watch it again, there's no secret scene that shows up if you press a button on the remote at 21:57 or anything like that. Unless you're a cinephile who likes to pour over every detail in a film, you're probably done after one or two viewings- why waste money & space on keeping around a physical object you're likely never use again?

Now, on the gaming side of things- you're a lot less likely to find a title you can 100% complete in two hours. A game can change when you play it again, there's secrets, there's collectibles, there's alternate story branches to be discovered- you can invest a lot more time into a game. Even if you do get 100% of everything, there's still an enjoyment in a game that isn't present for movies due to the interaction. You don't watch a game, you play a game- it's not passive. Look at all things we do- sports & cooking & crafts- all very repetitive by nature, but still loved becuase the action itself is rewarding. There is no action for movies, only observation- enough for some, but for most, once you've seen it, you're done.

What this means is, game media holds its value over movie media due to people interacting with it more. You're more likely to pay for the convenience of anytime access & to keep that access item around- which in turn lowers the amount on the secondhand market, resulting in higher prices for what's there. This added use also means games are more likely to get damaged, so over time there's less copies around to be sold.

While it is sad to see these things become so much trash, it's just the nature of the world- go ask some kids who Howdy Doody is & see who many know, and how many just laugh becuase you said hi to poop. Everything we cherish will be junk someday, best not to worry about it much.

Oh, and as far as Blu-ray vs. DVD? That's simple: it doesn't look better unless you pay for the right kind of TV. Most people didn't bother.

pzeke

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 06:42:03 pm »
Oh, and as far as Blu-ray vs. DVD? That's simple: it doesn't look better unless you pay for the right kind of TV. Most people didn't bother.

I'll say. Just recently I bought the first season of Castlevania on DVD at Walmart, and one of the employees was trying to sell me on the Blu-ray. The one they had included a shirt, and he was trying to make that the selling point, which to me I must admit would have had the shirt not been XL.

In all honesty, though, I could care less about Blu-ray.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!