Author Topic: I actually don’t like waiting for price drops on games  (Read 2050 times)

I actually don’t like waiting for price drops on games
« on: February 24, 2019, 01:12:28 pm »
There’s only a certain number of AAA games released each year to pick from. Of those only a certain few appeal to me.

I’m very intentional with what I play so when I want to play something, I really want to play it. I don’t have that “I’m interested in this but only when it hits this price” mentality.

If I’m interested in a game it’s very valuable/enticing to me and when I’m not interested in a game it’s worthless to me.

There are many games that I could scoop up very cheaply at $10-15 but even at those prices I have no inclination to want to play them.

The scarcity of games I really want to play makes them a very easy sale to me even at $60. I could (and likely would) be waiting months until another new game rolls around that peaks my interest.

If a game doesn’t excite me enough to play on day one, I likely don’t care about playing it at all.

There was a time I wanted to budget to buy a new game every month but then I looked at the release date schedule and there wasn’t a game released every month that I cared enough about to play.

I can usually count the games I get really excited about in a year on one hand, at best they roll around once every 3 month, so why deprive myself to save a little money. If I didn’t buy the games I love day one I would go for months and months without a new game. I’m so selective that even being a willing day one buyer I do go for months and months without a new game anyway.

It just doesn’t make sense to pass up on games I want to play until they drop in price. There isn’t enough to play.

Re: I actually don’t like waiting for price drops on games
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 02:06:33 pm »
There’s nothing I want to get with a Jan, Feb or March release date in 2019. In late April I’ll probably pick up Days Gone and it will have taken 4 months into the year before a game came out I wanted to play.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 05:46:11 pm »
@Seether is not alone, in this regard. I know someone (in person) who feels the same way @Seether does. But I personally don't dive in first and I'm 1-2 generations behind on video games. I don't really have $200-400USD to spend on a new video game console and plus $30-$60USD to buy a brand new release. I personally never was a a modern gamer.

@Seether I do know for a fact that a lot of other people feel the same way as you.

But a lot have already said they don't mind waiting for price drops on this forum in other places on here
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 05:50:05 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 06:48:31 pm »
The sad truth of the matter for me is the last time I cared enough to buy a non-Nintendo first party game while it was still a full $60 game, was probably around 2004 or so. I don't think there's really anything that could entice me to buy at full price, or need to play it on release. Most games I've bought new were at reduced prices, and most remain sealed to this day because I just never felt like playing them. They're worth having because I'm vaguely interested, and I don't have to go track one down that's in acceptable condition among the used ones later on. New condition is always the best.

Although, these days I probably couldn't give a rat's behind about any new games. My interest in them has reached an all-time low, and all Nintendo is doing is re-releasing Wii U games I already have. This gen is so much less appealing than 7th gen, it's not even funny. Nothing truly interesting gets a physical retail release anymore, and if it does, it's by some small publisher and the quantities are so limited you probably won't find one without a hassle. So I just don't pay attention to what's coming out anymore.

kypherion

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 07:24:33 pm »
Same, I bought DMC5 hoping it's good. When it's time for DOOM Eternal you can be damn sure I'll be buying that game full price, too. Same goes for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 08:05:21 pm »
I got RE2 on release because this was something I wanted ever since it was revealed at E3. KH3 has been something I've waiting for since 2006 and just today i preordered MK11 because I love the franchise and cannot wait to play it. I like to wait for games that I want to get but on the fence about whereas if there something I really want, I have no issue going after it early on.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 09:44:22 pm »
I’ve not paid the full MSRP for a game in years.  This was aided by the good club deals from Best Buy and Amazon, but now that those are going away I don’t plan on buying any new releases without any kind of pre-release discount.

wolfen

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 09:59:48 pm »
I agree with this wholeheartedly, if I am truly interested in a game I am going to buy it regardless of the price because I usually am very selective of the games I buy and I know I'm going to love it. If I waited until every Nintendo game dropped in price to buy it, I would be waiting 10 years at least and for non Nintendo games I would probably lose my hype for a game If I waited too long. It just seems a bit soul sucking of an experience to wait to have fun just to save a couple of dollars.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 10:28:22 pm »
There are certain games that I simply cannot wait for and get them day 1 or at least shortly after they come out. However, many new games that come out I'm completely fine waiting for them until the price matches my desire to play them/own them.

mark1982

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 03:20:04 am »
There are certain games that I simply cannot wait for and get them day 1 or at least shortly after they come out. However, many new games that come out I'm completely fine waiting for them until the price matches my desire to play them/own them.

This is how I feel as well, certain titles that I get day one ( very rare ) include Resident Evil 2, Octopath and the upcoming Sekiro. Other than that I can wait a year or for sales since games these days are constantly going on sale after a couple of months.
  l    l 

pzeke

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 03:55:54 am »

Yeah, this pretty much. Currently I'm trying to be frugal, but I'm going to try and move some numbers around and see if I can get me a PS4 so that I can play Kingdom Hearts III. I waited long for the game to come out to just sit by and ignore my love for the franchise.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

kashell

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 09:49:10 am »
I only get a game for the full price if it's for a series I love. Otherwise, I'm fine waiting.

Sekiro looks cool, but it doesn't have that "something" that's screaming day one purchase. If history is anything to go by, it'll eventually go down in price. I didn't pay much for Bloodborne or Dark Souls, but still enjoyed them.

pzeke

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 10:26:41 am »
To this day I still don't know what came over me into buying Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 on release day - I still regret it to this day, just the same as when I bought Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for the SNES back in the day. I no longer own either...

On that note, though, I remember buying Drakengard during its week of release, and boy was I pleasantly surprised. The screenshots on the back were enticing, and the blurb quite inviting: "DEATH FROM ABOVE. CHAOS BELOW."

Dragons are awesome.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 11:36:28 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 11:29:49 am »
I usually go after games not with the mindset of 'would I pay $60 for this?' but 'would I pay $60 for this today?' Sometimes I'll see a game I'm interested in, but not hyped for- let's use Enslaved: Journey to the West as an example. The Journey to the West connection intrigued me, but I wasn't immediately drawn in by the gameplay footage. So I forgot about it. Years later, I'm browsing around Gamestop for something new and come across a $3 dollar copy of Enslaved. That one I bought, and I loved it. It's not so much that it dropped to some magical dollar amount that suddenly made it desirable, but more the timing of finding it- I was looking for something new that day, and I just happened across this last-gen game I was already curious about. It could have just as easily been the $5 copy of Heavenly Sword I bought on a similar day last year. (obviously, when I say 'new' I mean 'new to me'.)

I do notice though, that for the most part, I'm a lot more deliberate about games over $20 or $30. Basically, the higher price points are the games I decide I want at release, and it simply becomes a matter of when I actually get around to buying them that determines how much I pay. The lower prices are the ones I consider when I go in just to browse, to see if anything catches my eye that day. So I guess it's less buying specific games at specific prices, and more having a range I'm comfortable impulse buying in.

sworddude

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 07:30:10 am »
If you really want to play a game It's usually not worth it to wait the hype will die down and a few years is still quite a long time you live only once after all.

And for example smash bros on switch if i would wait for a couple of months I might get one for like 45 55 wich is like a slim 10 discount

Not to mention if you would wait for maybe a couple of years only than it might be like 30 35

If it's a game that will end up in your back log to not be played anytime soon wich is the reason why one would buy a game on release than yes by all means waiting in that case is not a bad thing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 11:02:09 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!