Author Topic: How much longer do you think the 3DS has?  (Read 3468 times)

jeffmandm

How much longer do you think the 3DS has?
« on: February 27, 2019, 12:50:14 pm »
Since Pokémon Sword and Shield were announced for Switch during the Pokémon direct this morning, I personally think that at this point, once they come out late this year the 3DS will be nothing short of dead.

Now, there's a couple reasons why I think this is the case.

• Mario Kart 7, while a good game in its own right, is now dwarfed by Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Need I say any more about this one?
  • Pokemon Sword and Shield - Mind you, I know it's too early to tell, but I feel like interest in the system might wane because of this.
  • Super Mario Party.

Granted, I know some people used to think the same thing for the GameCube, Wii and Wii U but, Melee aside (which itself has been dethroned from Evo this year), the emulation and homebrew scene are probably keeping the system slightly alive. To be fair, I'm also a bit pessimistic sometimes so I always jump to the worst possible outcomes. Regardless, what about you guys? What do you think? Does the 3DS stand much of a chance anymore now that the Switch has a lot of games on it worth playing? How much longer (in terms of years) does the 3DS have?

Re: How much longer do you think the 3DS has?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 01:26:32 pm »
3DS is obviously on the way out, has been for abit.  Losing Pokemon is probably the biggest death knell for it, but I imagine it'll still keep going for another year or two with a small handful of releases.

kypherion

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 01:55:38 pm »
hopefully not much longer, that way switch support goes up and so does the amount of exploits on a 3ds
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

rayne315

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 02:20:23 pm »
it has been on its death bed for a while now but saying that its still profitable to make and still has a semi decent market that can easily make it one of the console outliers like ps2 being produced up until the ps4 was announced. interestingly enough according to vgchartz it still globally sells between 40k and 50k new systems a week which is still a few million a year and 300k to 500k new physical games a week.

I can easily see it continue for the next 2+ years.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 02:20:52 pm »
First party support will likely end before the end of the year. Games will probably release into 2020, but who can say.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 02:45:23 pm »
Tomorrow lol.   ;D

3DS isn't dead yet?  I really do think it'll be another 5 years like Vita because Nintendo will refuse to let it die to keep the sales it does get which is still quite a bit.  Pokemon Sword and Shield should be the dagger in it's neck in terms of relevance though.  I love 3DS very much but I sold mine along with all the games the moment Switch was released.  It defeated it for me unfortunately :)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:47:11 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

necrosexual

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 03:41:29 pm »
it's already dead except some third parties. it was dead when switch dropped. nintendo always says they'll support an old system when the new comes out and they never do lol.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

pzeke

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 05:10:50 pm »
I reckon that the new Pokémon games will definitely give the Switch a big boost, especially with people that have yet to get one, me for example, but I think the 3DS still has some fight left in it. I'm thinking by late 2020, but would venture to guess by early to mid 2021 we'll see the handheld fade away.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Flashback2012

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 05:14:27 pm »
First party support will likely end before the end of the year. Games will probably release into 2020, but who can say.

By 2022, there will still be Just Dance and FIFA releases on 3DS.  ;)

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 05:26:32 pm »
It sort of is already. Luigi's Mansion, which was just a port, was the last first party Nintendo game I remember coming out for it. I'm sure there will be a handful of decent third party games on it over the next year, but I can't see this being the case past 2020.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 05:35:26 pm »
Reggie will last longer than the 3DS

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 09:55:33 pm »
The switch still hasn't the support of xbox or playstation, {ie install base} so here's hoping that the awesome handheld that is 3Ds can go on receiving titles that true portable/handheld lovers can continue to play. DS brand still is infinitely more portable than even switch, and has a long and massive following. I just can't believe in a world without a true portable game system. And no mobile phones do not count
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:03:18 am by motopants »

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 03:44:01 am »
Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn may finally be the last release published by Nintendo. I believe this since they didn't even mention that game or the 3DS in the latest Nintendo Direct.

I think Target recently started clearing out their supply of 3DS games to make room for more Switch games so I could see by late next year stores no longer selling new 3DS product aside from GameStop.

Well, Walmart will probably have some titles kicking around since some still have PS2 and Wii games...

aliensstudios

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 09:54:29 am »

By 2022, there will still be Just Dance and FIFA releases on 3DS.  ;)
Haha! I'm still curious if Just Dance 2020 will be on Wii and Wii U.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 04:20:06 pm »
I'd say Pokemon Sword & Shield being on the Switch really hit the Nail on the Coffin. .. Has it got any big releases on the way?