Author Topic: Ever Bought A Game From A Store You Didn't Expect To Find There  (Read 1758 times)

Ever Bought A Game From A Store You Didn't Expect To Find There
« on: February 28, 2019, 05:09:35 pm »
To me, my most interesting video game findings stories is:

I was riding a community bus, and I got off. Then went into a CVS Pharmacy. then found a brand new copy of a NHL 08 For $8 USD a PlayStation 2 game. With some other games, that they were trying to get rid of,

around the time summer of 2012 or 2013.

Another interesting find, was at a re-sale shop. They had a Sega Saturn with, "Daytona USA", and
"Virtua Fighter 2". I got by trading in some things.

Do you ever find a game unexpectedly in some, kind of  shop or store? That you stumbled on by accident?

and?, What did you do? Did you pass? or buy or traded in something? for game or item you were not using?

I later traded in the Sega Saturn lot for another working PlayStation 2 later

(Edit) Just last year I stumbled upon "Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 Triple Thrill Pack" (sealed for the PC) at Walmart pysical store not online store

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 05:27:18 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Ever Bought A Game From A Store You Didn't Expect To Find There
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 08:55:49 pm »
To this day, the greatest gaming find I got at a non gaming store was when I found a sealed copy of Conker's Bad Fur Day at a National Wholesale Liquidators. This was about 12 or so years ago before the retro market on N64 games (hell, even NES games) picked up traction. I was shopping for Christmas gifts with my cousin, and while we were checking out, I noticed it casually in a pile of bargain bin crap. I snagged it up in a heartbeat, rung it up, and to my surprise it was only $10. In hindsight i should have left it sealed so I could resell in down the line for a hefty profit, but in my mind, games are meant to be played. I still have the box and manual, as it was the very last brand new game I ever bought for my N64. But i don't think I'll ever get rid of it, and it's i nice story to tell my gaming buddies.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 09:47:10 pm »
All the time. I've found most of my best deals at retail stores that I went into and found some amazing deal on a game I had no idea they'd have. I do most of my deal hunting in plain sight at retail stores while a lot of collectors search in vain at greedy thrift stores and garage sales. Not saying you can't find anything there anymore, but I find way more stuff then they do mostly since retail stores get that sort of stuff in regularly and can easily get caught slippin.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 10:00:10 pm »
There used to be this chain of Japanese value stores around called Zakka. When they went out of business, I stopped in one to pick up cheap Japanese treats & such. In one corner, the owners had set up a bunch of their own stuff, like a yard sale within the closeout- and they had Sega CD games! I bought Flink CIB for a couple of bucks. I kind of wish I hadn't passed on Make my Video: Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch, since the ridiculousness appeal to current me very much. I also found a Genesis at an army surplus store around the same time (no idea what year anymore, but after 2001.) I passed on that becuase I had one. I did buy a copy of Pokemon Conquest from a Pokemon Center kiosk at a local mall, just for the novelty of getting a game from what was effectively a vending machine.

But, nothing will top the craft store. I work in one, and I hate that I've lost the pictures- but this was Black Friday, deep into the 7th generation of consoles... and we got in High School Musical: Senior Year Dance. On the ps2. I'm pretty damn sure we didn't sell a single copy the entire time it was in the store.

topspot123

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 10:29:20 pm »
I didn't actually pick any up, but in the early 2000's I found a handful of sealed copies of Dreamcast games in a Deal$ dollar store.  They were all the same sports title, probably one of the NBA 2k games.  It was just so unusual to find sealed video games at a dollar store.

A few years later Dollar Tree bought the company they changed the format for the Deal$ stores.  Instead of everything's a $1, everything in the store was less than $10 (or maybe $5?  Not sure).  Anyway, they had some games there again and I bought a couple of GBA and Xbox games new for $5 each.   

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 11:51:38 pm »
When Kmart was still around and the Wii was still at the height of popularity, I found a copy of Twilight Princess for the Gamecube stacked away in the back of a bunch of budget PS2 games that were bundled. It had a price sticker of $50 and I wanted check if this was still the price and to my surprise, they were only charging $5 for the game so I bought it. Still sealed and with price sticker to this day. I want to say I got this either 2010 or 2011.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 12:25:23 am »
 I found a bunch of Wii games at Big Lots once
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 01:19:38 am »

Big Lots is the place to find a lot of surprises, my mom picked up 4 volumes of vary rare rock music compilations with mostly off the wall bands almost never heard on the radio still to this day, and are just as good as the more common and familiar rock bands out there. those rock compilations called "The Finest Of Hard Rock vol 1-4" 8 CD's of master peices that the radio never bothered to play until a couple of years ago. each volume contains 2 CD's with 15 songs on each CD and 30 songs on one volume each of the 4 volumes only cost her $10 USD new
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 11:21:03 am »
When Kmart was still around and the Wii was still at the height of popularity, I found a copy of Twilight Princess for the Gamecube stacked away in the back of a bunch of budget PS2 games that were bundled. It had a price sticker of $50 and I wanted check if this was still the price and to my surprise, they were only charging $5 for the game so I bought it. Still sealed and with price sticker to this day. I want to say I got this either 2010 or 2011.

Aww, you beat me- my still-sealed-with-price-sticker from Kmart copy of Twilight Princess on the Gamecube was $15!

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 02:39:13 pm »
There is still a Kmart in my city

topspot123

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 11:44:48 pm »

Big Lots is the place to find a lot of surprises, my mom picked up 4 volumes of vary rare rock music compilations with mostly off the wall bands almost never heard on the radio still to this day, and are just as good as the more common and familiar rock bands out there. those rock compilations called "The Finest Of Hard Rock vol 1-4" 8 CD's of master peices that the radio never bothered to play until a couple of years ago. each volume contains 2 CD's with 15 songs on each CD and 30 songs on one volume each of the 4 volumes only cost her $10 USD new

Items in my collection that came from Big Lots:

Bunco! The Interactive DVD Game with Real 3D Dice (DVD)
Deal or No Deal - The Interactive DVD Game Show (DVD)
Fact or Crap: Beat da Bomb (DVD)
Sudoku (DVD)
Who Wants to be a Millionaire (DVD)
Would you Rather? (DVD)
Power Gig: Rise of the SixString - Band Kit

I grabbed one of the DJ Hero's for my brother-in-law (I already had it).  For sure, you just never know what you'll find there.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:07:49 am by topspot123 »

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 01:34:09 am »
There is still a Kmart in my city

I made an error. The Kmart where I bought this from is still open despite a few closing however I havent gone there in years ever since they got rid of their gaming section.

Aww, you beat me- my still-sealed-with-price-sticker from Kmart copy of Twilight Princess on the Gamecube was $15!

Well shit. Talk about luck of the draw.

kashell

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 02:19:21 pm »
I found the Chrono Cross strategy guide at a Books A Million. The franchise sells strategy guides, but only for major AAA-roadside assistance releases. So, when I found a CC guide for a few bucks tucked among them about a month or so ago, I was surprised.

Warmsignal

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 10:40:24 pm »

Kmart used to be a haven for fantastically marked down gems. The folks over at CAG used to keep an updated list of what to watch out for. Was a great way to get brand new copies of games for usually cheaper than the used price at the time. I found the very same Twilight Princess for $5, the year sounds about right too. Mine remains sealed as well.

aliensstudios

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 05:56:24 pm »

Kmart used to be a haven for fantastically marked down gems. The folks over at CAG used to keep an updated list of what to watch out for. Was a great way to get brand new copies of games for usually cheaper than the used price at the time. I found the very same Twilight Princess for $5, the year sounds about right too. Mine remains sealed as well.
My big brother worked at Kmart in his early twenties and he'd get a bunch of ridiculously marked down games all the time. My twelve year old self went to his apartment and found a stack of like thirty clearances games for maybe 5 bucks each. It's a damn shame my older bros got mixed up with the wrong crowd and ended up selling all of those games for next to nothing for drugs or what have you.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."