Author Topic: Best component cables for PS2?  (Read 3798 times)

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

Best component cables for PS2?
« on: March 01, 2019, 09:12:58 am »
I’ve been using my third-party PS2 component cables (that I’ve had for years) to hook it up to my HDTV, but apparently the cables must not be very good, because the picture has a lot of static and distortion. I’ve determined it’s not the TV itself because I hook up my original Xbox the same way and it looks fine.

So, I’m trying to find some good PS2 component cables without breaking the bank. I’m aware that the higher priced ones tend to be better quality, but I really can’t afford to pay $50 for some cables. On the other hand, I’m afraid buying some cheapo $10 cables won’t improve the picture at all. Any recommendations?

aliensstudios

Re: Best component cables for PS2?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 10:03:10 am »
I use Sony's official cables. We got them back in 2010 for the PS3 but now since I use hdmi for PS3, I use them for PS2. The quality is about as good as you could expect, especially on a crt. A new set is sort of expensive, but you can find a used set on eBay for twenty to thirty bucks.
I haven't tried them but HD Retrovision also sells PS2 component cables on amazon for $30. I use their SNES / Genesis cables and have been really happy so I imagine they are really high quality.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 05:52:47 pm »
I recently picked up the HD Retrovision component cables for my PS2 and noticed quite the improvement over the previous generic cable I had. They go for $30 on Amazon and around that on eBay. The build quality is solid and I believe signal wise they're on par with the original Sony component cables that came out for PS2 and 3. I think they're your best choice along with the original Sony cables if your care about quality, otherwise it's a bit of a crap shoot.

mastodon

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 06:22:20 pm »
I’ve been using my third-party PS2 component cables (that I’ve had for years) to hook it up to my HDTV, but apparently the cables must not be very good, because the picture has a lot of static and distortion. I’ve determined it’s not the TV itself because I hook up my original Xbox the same way and it looks fine.

So, I’m trying to find some good PS2 component cables without breaking the bank. I’m aware that the higher priced ones tend to be better quality, but I really can’t afford to pay $50 for some cables. On the other hand, I’m afraid buying some cheapo $10 cables won’t improve the picture at all. Any recommendations?

Im just using Monster brand S-Video cable at the moment. He is a link. Im sure they make other cables too. https://vgcollect.com/item/156357

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 08:41:07 am »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I had stopped checking HD Retrovision’s website after they closed down their store so I didn’t realize they had PS2 cables available on Amazon. I already ordered and received one :D
Definitely noticing less noise on the picture, and the colors don’t bleed as much.