Author Topic: How Much Is One Hour of Video Game Time Worth?  (Read 1499 times)

How Much Is One Hour of Video Game Time Worth?
« on: March 04, 2019, 04:03:12 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZNT1FObxTo

In other words, what to you is worth it?

I think £2/$2 per hour is good. If I spent $60 on a game I'd like to get 30 hours out of it, but even at 20 hours at 3 bucks per hour that's pretty sound value.

Re: How Much Is One Hour of Video Game Time Worth?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 04:39:50 pm »
If I enjoy the game then it was worth it. Now that's not to say I'll shell out $100 for a 30hr game but regardless of how much I spend if I liked it then it was a good price to me.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 04:55:37 pm »
I don't quite understand the question the OP asked. Since an experienced player of any kind of video game. can finish just about any linear  game in an hour, especially the retro ones. It all depends on how good you are at a video game, Harder difficulty video games usually take the longest for someone to play through and even more time to master.

LOL I just thought of counting load times, in that case I really don't understand quite what @seether is asking

(edit)
maybe the question should be how much enjoyment someone can have with a video game in one hour? :-\
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 05:09:40 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 05:08:41 pm »
The costs of playing a game can be pretty high I mean the retail price is pretty much nothing.

Let's be honest 1 hour of videogame time has a negative worth depending on the person losing only a couple of $ to a couple 100 $ or ofcourse far more per hour

The more you play a game the higher the loss.

Now that is what one hour of playing videogames is worth It's reality.

your just losing your opportunities at the stock market when playing them games I'm just saying.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 05:11:32 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 05:27:20 pm »
OK, so i'm back with a straighter answer. If a video game is completely linear and short, has barley any options or only a couple of levels, or has a vary small world it's probably worth nothing (free) or slightly more in my opinion.

If it has more depth, a larger world, more options or levels, or un-lockables, (etc) it's would be worth more, if you want to sell a game @seether than research what I said in this post. To find out what something is worth is how big and how many different in-game options it has.

(my example)
In my opinion a fighting game with only 8 or less playable character and no un-lockables. or, not many choose able options. Would be worth less than a fighting game, that has multiple ways of playing, more characters, and more depth.

also something that is playable comes in key with all video games in my opinion also
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 06:40:38 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

soera

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 05:53:46 pm »
I like long games. For me $1 an hour is where I aim.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 06:24:45 pm »
You’ve made a thread with this basic premise before
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,9176.msg155081.html#msg155081

For games I’ve played and ignoring MMOs I’m probably averaging 0.50 / hr, maybe even lower.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 06:50:32 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 06:45:32 pm »
I don't really think about that kind of thing, if i enjoy playing it then it's priceless, if not i clearly wasted my time and money.

kypherion

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 07:13:14 pm »
I don't really think about that kind of thing, if i enjoy playing it then it's priceless, if not i clearly wasted my time and money.

Literally same

For games I’ve played and ignoring MMOs I’m probably averaging 0.50 / hr, maybe even lower.

Cartagia back at it again. You never cease to amaze me man.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:15:28 pm by kypherion »
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 07:20:51 pm »
I value an hour of gaming at roughly 60 minutes or so.

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 09:40:08 pm »
As always, depends on the game- I wouldn't put much value into an hour of a sports title, becuase I'm not a fan of those- but I love rhythm games, so a good one is worth a fair bit more. Plus, sometimes special circumstances affect value- there's an arcade near me with a lot of Japanese imports. One of these is Super Table Flip- it costs about a dollar (hard to say becuase you get higher value for credits if you buy more), takes 60 seconds maximum to play, and consists entirely of flipping a plastic mini-table once. I play it every time we go- not becuase the value for money is just that good, but becuase we rarely make the trip to the arcade & I like to splurge on the unique experience. Not surprisingly, there's no home version for this title- the novelty would wear out pretty fast.

I value an hour of gaming at roughly 60 minutes or so.

*slow clap of approval*

dreama1

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 10:34:57 pm »
You're playing/buying for the experience. You're not buying a used car, asking how much mileage you can get out of it.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 11:46:42 pm »

Cartagia back at it again. You never cease to amaze me man.

This was an easy one.  That “value per money” thing stuck out as the first time I remembered taking notice of them.

And it’s not even a completely unreasonable topic.  They’ve just posted it before when they went on their crusade to poison everyone against them.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:50:28 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 11:01:16 am »
IDK but I feel like I'm going to be the one here who will say I'm totally okay spending $60 on a good game as short as ~10 hours. I can probably think of a few that I have. That'd place me as high as $6 an hour. I've also put good money into my small rhythm games collections even if they don't have the most content per dollar spent.

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 12:43:29 pm »
We all know that Seether is the next Warren Buffet. Surely a minute of his time is worth easy $5000 if not more! You should see the guy's portfolio!