Author Topic: The worst people on Ebay are the ones who buy video games  (Read 2459 times)

kashell

Re: The worst people on Ebay are the ones who buy video games
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 08:47:25 am »
e(vil)Bay

Flashback2012

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 09:15:03 am »
I'll buy on eBay but won't sell.

pzeke

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 09:22:09 am »
I hear you. I have stuff I'd like to sell, but I'm not going to put myself through the same ordeal I went through years ago. I also have heard/read others' horror stories, not only centered around eBay, but also PayPal, so I avoid both like the plague - like a vampire does sunlight, crucifixes, and garlic.

BTW, love that scene from Cop Out.  =P
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 09:23:55 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

sworddude

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 04:53:26 pm »
I'm pretty sure ebay itselves is not the problem

Paypal in or outside of ebay will have scammer buyers. On ebay your conflicts are done in paypal and once again not in ebay. Paypal will decide what will happen not ebay two different parties even though they are from the same owners.

Also If I am not mistaken bank transfer is kinda unheared of/ not safe in america thank god outside of ebay the standard and safe in europe.

Paypal might be the most used option to sell an item in america so as a seller withouth local pickup I can imagine it can be kinda annoying.

Insured shipping might be a must for the more hyped and expensive items in that case. and in the case of mobile phones and laptops where scamming gets pretty sneaky insured shipping might not work and you'll lose money without getting any insurance money since it has been delivered. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 07:21:02 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 05:25:01 pm »
I love ebay.  I use it all the time to import cheap japanese games.  I prefer buying used items on ebay, over Amazon any day. Ebay allows users to upload photos of the actual item you're buying, and not just a generic image! You almost never see that on Amazon. Every time I've bought used games or systems on Amazon I get screwed, and have to fight for reimbursement.  I've been using the site since 1999 and have never really had any issues.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 05:30:58 pm by badATchaos »

Warmsignal

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 05:41:37 pm »
I'm not gonna fault eBay for always siding with the buyer as someone who both buys and sells there. I think eBay's reputation as a marketplace hinges on whether or not customers have a satisfactory experience. If customers stop buying on eBay, then eBay doesn't get paid. Since they are not directly in control of the selling process, they have to assume the customer is being honest and they want that customer to come back and keep shopping. A seller doesn't have to accept repeat business from a dishonest customer.

Sellers aren't always the best either, as I keep insisting. Many of them are quite lazy and dishonest in the pursuit of making a sale. You can't arbitrarily pick a condition for the item, it has to be as per eBay's guidelines on video game condition. Many items that should be listed as "acceptable" are listed as "good" through "like new" condition to avoid filters, or outright deceive. Descriptions are often virtually non-existent, or generic. Perhaps worst of all, the lack of concern or effort put into packaging and mailing a fragile or expensive item is at times, frankly disgusting.

If someone ever did ask me for a refund, I would happily issue it upon the safe return of the item. Pretty sure they requiring return-tracking as proof, so at least some effort has to be made.

I love ebay.  I use it all the time to import cheap japanese games.  I prefer buying used items on ebay, over Amazon any day. Ebay allows users to upload photos of the actual item you're buying, and not just a generic image! You almost never see that on Amazon. Every time I've bought used games or systems on Amazon I get screwed, and have to fight for reimbursement.  I've been using the site since 1999 and have never really had any issues.

What irks me about Amazon is the condition and packaging of brand new games from their warehouse. Ridiculous.

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 11:31:43 am »
Paypal in or outside of ebay will have scammer buyers. On ebay your conflicts are done in paypal and once again not in ebay. Paypal will decide what will happen not ebay two different parties even though they are from the same owners.

Not nessecarily- I've been in a couple of scammy seller situations were Ebay was dragging their feet over dealing with it, so I contacted Paypal. If the transaction was done via Ebay, Paypal won't step in- you HAVE to go through Ebay. If you try going to the transaction detail page on Paypal, it even flat-out says that, and all the links to file a claim are missing.

Well, I did find one way to get paypal to open a claim on an Ebay case- my last run-through with this Ebay told me twice I'd 'been awarded a refund, it'll be there in a few days' without said refund showing up, I was getting the 'no ebay cases' spiel from Paypal… so I contacted my bank. Funny how quick paypal opened a case when they came a-knocking with a charge reversal.