Author Topic: The worst people on Ebay are the ones who buy video games  (Read 2458 times)

The worst people on Ebay are the ones who buy video games
« on: March 06, 2019, 10:16:15 pm »
No matter what I sell on there, I always cringe when I list a video game. The people who bid on them are by far the most immature and annoying people I have ever dealt with. Not all of them are, but on the whole I know that I'm about to deal with some real a$$ clowns every time I list a video game.

I always want to reply to them with "Are you 14 years old or do you just act like it?" Music, movies, electronics, baseball cards...all of them are better to deal with than the video game buyers. And many of them try to rip you off but they always go away quietly when you provide the tracking number with delivery confirmation for the game they "didn't receive."

I'm sure none of you fall into this category, but as a seller I always know I'm about to deal with a bunch of garbage every time I list a video game.

Re: The worst people on Ebay are the ones who buy video games
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 10:28:26 pm »
I don't trust or use Ebay I don't even use Ebay as buyer and by the way welcome to the forum @gonif :)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 10:38:42 pm »
Thanks, buddy! I've read your posts here for awhile. My post has nothing to do with the members of this site, it is just an observation of an Ebay buyer/seller for close to 20 years. I can sell ten thousand dollar sports card listings without a care but that $50 video game sale is going to be a true PITA!

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 11:29:54 pm »
No matter what I sell on there, I always cringe when I list a video game. The people who bid on them are by far the most immature and annoying people I have ever dealt with. Not all of them are, but on the whole I know that I'm about to deal with some real a$$ clowns every time I list a video game.

I always want to reply to them with "Are you 14 years old or do you just act like it?" Music, movies, electronics, baseball cards...all of them are better to deal with than the video game buyers. And many of them try to rip you off but they always go away quietly when you provide the tracking number with delivery confirmation for the game they "didn't receive."

I'm sure none of you fall into this category, but as a seller I always know I'm about to deal with a bunch of garbage every time I list a video game.

I agree, being a seller can be such a heartache. I have luckily only had one major annoying customer. Who blatantly ripped me off by doing the old switcheroo.  I sold him a perfect NES, it was stunning and than he lied and said he recieved a dirty yellow one.  I had no way of proving him wrong so I had to take back his yellow one and lose 70 bucks.  :(

I also always laugh at the offensively low offers, or when people message you saying "has my item shipped yet, what's taking so long?" when it's a sunday or a federal holiday lol.   ;D

I do agree video game market in general is very toxic compared to comics or toys.  A lot of backdoorings, throat cutting, low balling and aggressive remarks to people.  Locally in my city is worst.  My city has a lot of crime.  I'll never try to buy or sell in my city again.  I have been stood up so many times by both sellers and buyers.  Just leaving me holding the bag. 

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 12:58:19 am »
All eBay buyers are like that. Especially now when kids can steal their parents credit card and go on a shopping spree. I remember one year I had a buyer leave me negative feedback because I wouldn't tell him how to use the item he bought. Like wtf?

Also you find a lot of kids that are trying to sell stuff on eBay, they don't know you actually have to SHIP THE ITEM YOU SELL.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 02:29:51 am »
I've had many cases of this sadly, to the point where I cannot simply (insert Mordor meme...) post an item 1st Class - Which pee's me off that I have to pay more for tracking, i.e making sure they do their job. I'm currently already making a claim for an item that apparently didn't arrive.

Now, I always send my items through work, it may be a 2-3 day delivery but I can still have tracking on it. But I only have 2 days per week to do so, which is annoying if a buyer buys the item the day after my workshift.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 02:43:58 am »
I find sellers pretty annoying when they have the Best Offer option available and it automatically denies at just $1.00 off.

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 05:16:27 am »
Let's see

Video game buyers hate videogame sellers and videogame sellers hate videogame buyers, the circle of life is complete  ::)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:20:20 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 08:01:28 am »

Welcome to the forums!

Personally, I've only had two negative experiences as a seller. It was enough to stop me from selling anymore on there. If there's something I want to get rid, I'll either post it on here or I'll donate it to charity.

pzeke

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 08:10:56 am »
My experience mirrors yours, but with comicbooks. My first experience was awful, then tried again a few years later and regretted it tenfold.

I find sellers pretty annoying when they have the Best Offer option available and it automatically denies at just $1.00 off.

This all the way. Mind you, Best Offer doesn't mean you'll get the item for basically nothing, but the least one would expect if a seller has this option available is that they'll haggle with you.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

oxymoronclaws

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 02:25:42 pm »
It's always quite disheartening to see this kind of behaviour on eBay. I buy most of my gaming items on eBay, and I can safely say that I would be absolutely mortified to ever do "the ol' switcheroo" or claim an item hadn't arrived. I very rarely actually sell on eBay so haven't had any negative selling experience, but I think this goes to show that there are certainly disingenuous buyers out there (but we're not all terrible, especially the fine folks on this forum!)  :)

kypherion

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 02:44:57 pm »
Man that's weird. I just see an item and if I want to I buy it at it's displayed price and that's that. No weird comments or any other crap.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

gf78

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 05:46:28 pm »
Welcome to the forums op!

I hate to sell just about anything on eBay now. More than even games, selling high-priced items makes me nervous. Say you sell a phone. Mint condition, gently used, complete in original box with matching serial numbers. Doesnt matter how many pictures you take or all the precautions to cover your ass. All it takes is some scumbag to say you shipped a broken phone or whatever. Doesn't matter if I have 2000+ 100% positive feedback and they have 4 with a dozen bid retractions. Ebay will take their side and you are screwed.

So many scammers & sheisters out there. Wasn't like that back in 2000 when I joined. It went from a Godsend for finding rare & htf items to a cesspool of jerkoffs. /end rant
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Warmsignal

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 06:02:49 pm »
Yeah, it's true. I should know, I can be a PITA too for sellers who won't take the time write out a description of a game's cosmetic condition and completeness. I try to make the complaint and subsequent return as painless as possible, but I'm not gonna just take it if a game is listed as "very good" when it has rips, creases, fading, scratches, etc, and I end up buying it on good faith of the condition they listed and the shoddy photos taken that obscured the issues.

It goes both ways, is what I'm saying. Sellers don't try hard enough, and buyers expect a lot. I expect sellers to know they're dealing with potential collectors who will be particular, and that it's not a good idea to dress up something as better than it actually is to boost the sale.

As a seller, I've had no complaints. I make sure the photos are representative of the item, and I describe anything noteworthy about their condition or completeness. I also list for lower than the other guys, especially if it's not that good. I've had nothing but happy customers there.

Also, it's entirely possible that people might not receive an item that was marked as delivered. It's happen to me before. My package was simply delivered to the wrong address, and so whoever that person was, they kept my package and I simply had to take a loss. That should be on the post-office, but they won't take responsibility for anything. Signature confirmation should be available on request, but no one uses it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:15:24 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 11:15:34 pm »
I've been buying and selling games on ebay for a long time and I can relate, at least from the point of view of being a seller. I've had some really POSes buy from me over the years who tried to extort money from me over claiming I didn't describe ultra small, insignificant imperfections and claim this justified a 50% refund or more. Most recently I sold my copy of Kingdom Hearts the Story Thus Far back when it was going for around $100 used. Just to be clear I bought the game well before it skyrocketed in price and decided to sell it mainly because I wasn't able to get into Kingdom Hearts like I was hoping and because I already own most of the Kingdom Hearts games on the original consoles they were released on. I ended up selling it for about $90 to someone, shipped it, and then they demanded a refund about a week after getting it citing "they found it for a better price" on account that Gamestop and various other retailers got shipments in to help meet demand, driving the price down. My return policy has always been "only if not as described" which this clearly was not the case, but guess what, ebay forced the return against my policy! This was over 3-weeks ago and I still have not got the item back, but luckily I was not forced to refund the buyer on the spot so I still have the money, but unfortunately no game yet and the return is still open despite ebay saying they'd close it several weeks ago after the buyer never updated the return info.

Ebay is pathologically on the side of the buyer and will bend over backwards to please them even at the expense of scamming the seller. I've read horror stories of buyers getting full refunds for items that were tracked and delivered, but the buyer claimed they still didn't get it. I understand that someone may have stolen the package, but as far as the tracking info is concerned the buyer got it and at that point it isn't ebay or the seller's problem. Not according the ebay though, it's your problem as the seller and they'll often side with the buyer in this instance and in many other situations when the buyer is in the wrong or at least lacks sufficient evidence to back a claim up. I've heard of sellers getting scammed out of hundreds of dollars from dishonest buyers who got to keep the item they bought, plus get all their money back, essentially getting it for free. At this point I only sell items on ebay that would be of minimal cost to me if I ended up getting screwed over for.

Sorry for the lengthy response. Ebay is currently, and frankly has been on my shit list for quite some time and I am one unfair decision from leaving, but I've stayed mostly because me selling on ebay has allowed me to grow my collection significantly more than if I didn't do it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 11:19:27 pm by bikingjahuty »