Author Topic: Would you buy a next gen console without a disc drive?  (Read 1951 times)

pzeke

Re: Would you buy a next gen console without a disc drive?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 12:27:05 pm »
Seether along with pretty much everyone else who reacted on this topic are lying pretty hard

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

sworddude

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 02:32:59 pm »
Seether along with pretty much everyone else who reacted on this topic are lying pretty hard

i got a switch so I'm pretty sure i will buy the next generation of consoles even if discs will dissapear as long as the franchises that I like will still release games. even in worst case scenario download only I would still get it for certain games.

Also if we purely would look at the exact title of this topic

Everyone who owns a switch will buy the next generation of consoles even if they would be withouth a disc drive to play discs. Not to mention a pretty popular system in general so even in that regard not that big of a deal for many even if we would ignore the fact that many people are ok with a download only for full retail price.

edit

Also I admit a bit of a rough comment on my part

But it was just a joke since the title is kinda dumb in my opinion considering that even the Topic starter has a current gen console withouth a disc drive.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:24:43 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 04:37:18 pm »
I understand where you're coming from, but whether the Switch has a disc drive or not, it still supports physical releases. Although I reckon OP didn't title the topic the best way possible, I'd venture to guess that's what he meant with it: if you would support a console that doesn't rely/support physical media.

I personally want a Switch, more so now that Pokémon Sword & Shield were announced; but I can with utmost sincerity tell you that I will not support a new console without a disc drive or anything that supports physical media, whether it's made by Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. I've plenty of games in my backlog, so I'll take that as my cue to go through it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 03:02:42 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Warmsignal

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 05:38:41 pm »
No. Why would you buy that? Just buy a Walmart special gaming computer, and go on Steam. Don't buy a $400 hunk of plastic that can't do anything particularly well, and that's including the performance of modern gaming, just so you can download stuff to play and with little to no interesting exlusive content. It's making less and less sense nowdays to ignore how cheap and readily available competent gaming PCs are, and they are a much better product and value than a game console.

When consoles are designed as online only machines, is the day that I hope Steam stomps them right out of business. No one needs a glorified set-top box to play the same shit that PC has better versions of. The only edge modern consoles have right now is physical media, and re-sellability. Nintendo has moderately interesting exclusives, but they'd do better to bow out and go on Steam as a software publisher only because they'll never again design a piece of hardware that's worth a damn technically speaking, no matter how novel and unique it is.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 05:53:11 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 07:13:35 pm »
No. Why would you buy that? Just buy a Walmart special gaming computer, and go on Steam. Don't buy a $400 hunk of plastic that can't do anything particularly well, and that's including the performance of modern gaming, just so you can download stuff to play and with little to no interesting exlusive content. It's making less and less sense nowdays to ignore how cheap and readily available competent gaming PCs are, and they are a much better product and value than a game console.

When consoles are designed as online only machines, is the day that I hope Steam stomps them right out of business. No one needs a glorified set-top box to play the same shit that PC has better versions of. The only edge modern consoles have right now is physical media, and re-sellability. Nintendo has moderately interesting exclusives, but they'd do better to bow out and go on Steam as a software publisher only because they'll never again design a piece of hardware that's worth a damn technically speaking, no matter how novel and unique it is.

I agree with @Warmsignal  newer Consoles are starting to get crappy and a waste of money, a Good PC is all you really need and if I mean good maybe a PC for $200 or more, or posibbly even less than that even
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Warmsignal

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 07:35:17 pm »

I agree with @Warmsignal  newer Consoles are starting to get crappy and a waste of money, a Good PC is all you really need and if I mean good maybe a PC for $200 or more, or posibbly even less than that even

I'm talking about something like this - https://www.walmart.com/ip/iBUYPOWER-WA563GT2-Gaming-Desktop-PC-With-AMD-FX-6300-GT1030-2GB-1TB-HDD-8GB-DDR3-and-Window-10-Home-Monitor-Not-Included/164694268

Instead of spending $400 - $500 on a "new console" with already outdated hardware and no optical or media drives of any sort or way to install one, buy a PC like that, pair it with your HDTV and game away. Plus the added benefit of it being a PC capable of many things, with Windows 10. Windows 10 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any device that runs a crappy Google-based proprietary OS.

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 10:55:03 pm »
I still think we are another generation from discless, fully digital consoles, meaning next gen will be the last generation to embrace physical media. With that said I can see them encouraging digital sales and distribution, maybe with some incentive behind it in order to get people warmed up to the idea before completely jumping ship into digital.

With that said, there's a chance I may still game on consoles, but depending on what the exclusives landscape looks like I may essentially become a PC gamer only once this transition is complete. And even then I doubt I'll ever buy a digital release for over $30, meaning a lot of new titles will be put on the backburner until they've dropped in price quite a bit.

Too be honest though, once modern gaming goes 100% digital, I'll probably end up just playing retro games only for the remainder of my days. I've never been a fan of digital distribution for movies, music, and certainly not games either. I know it is more efficient, more environmental, but the complete lack of ownership is what doesn't sit right with me. i'm okay sacrificing ownership if the game I'm buying is only $5, but it becomes harder and harder to justify it the more expensive a digital title is. Luckily I have more games than I could ever hope to play in my lifetime and it sounds like they'll be put to good use the longer time goes by.

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2019, 11:20:18 am »

I can't remember a switch having a disc drive or using discs period and pretty much everyone bought one. So i guess people can live withouth them discs in the next generation.

Ok, fair enough then. Take my original reply and swap 'disc drive' for 'physical media'.