Author Topic: Do you have a storage/display solution that isn't just a book shelf?  (Read 2216 times)

I really don't want a book shelf.

sworddude

Re: Do you have a storage/display solution that isn't just a book shelf?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 01:42:16 pm »
Well you could also go for a codex shelf that's a pretty great solution. Take my word for it It's one of the best options out there.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 01:45:22 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 02:51:21 pm »
I use media shelves that are made for CDs, DVDs, and Blurays meaning they are more shallow than the shelves of your typical bookcase. Atlantic makes cheaper, albeit lower quality media shelves. Prepac is more expensive, but the quality is definitely noticeable. Ikea also sells good shelves for video games.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 03:14:10 pm »
Linen closet.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 04:40:11 pm »
I saw this the other day: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6c/19/37/6c1937d697d1c1dc6d38205fd322dfbb.jpg

I like the idea of doing that and if you could maybe combine the drawers of this with the concept of in-wall shelving then you could get a lot of storage potential into a small space. You, of course, wouldn't be able to display your games with this setup but if you don't care about that then this could be the way to go.

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 06:42:49 pm »
Since your whole "collection" maybe takes up all of 16 inches horizontally, I imagine you could put them almost anywhere.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

jalien

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 08:05:17 pm »
Custom shelving, http://ptjudgmentday.tumblr.com/post/41353850360/diy-shelf-for-blu-raysdvds, used that website as a template, but used 1x5 instead of 1x4 so they don't stick out as far

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 08:42:51 pm »
I think the question is: how do you want to store your games if you don't want a bookshelf? I mean, there's a reason we default to the ubiquitous shelf- they're easy to build/assemble, infinitely customizable, and provide an accessible place for both storage and display.

If you like the drawer unit bfbeam found, I'm pretty sure that's a scrapbook paper tower- we sell one like that at the craft store I work in. I've also had good luck with drawer units at both Ikea and Target stores. Alternatively, you could look into a cabinet. I mean, it's basically a bookshelf with doors, but it does provide a different visual take for a room.

Considering your preferred collecting method keeps your collection on the small side, decorative shelving could really work for you- things meant to sit on an existing shelf/cabinet or hang on the wall, but don't cater to the typical box shape. Things like this, or this, or maybe this. Get one of those X-shaped deals perhaps- I can only find a wall sized version.

Basically just go start looking at stuff. ALL the stuff, no matter what it was meant to store- sometimes you'll be surprised. My N64 games are in a homemade tray that was built from Dixit expansion boxes. Be creative!

topspot123

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 11:39:30 am »
I use media shelves that are made for CDs, DVDs, and Blurays meaning they are more shallow than the shelves of your typical bookcase. Atlantic makes cheaper, albeit lower quality media shelves. Prepac is more expensive, but the quality is definitely noticeable. Ikea also sells good shelves for video games.

Agree wholeheartedly.  Fully adjustable shelves preferably. 

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 12:32:51 pm »
Since your whole "collection" maybe takes up all of 16 inches horizontally, I imagine you could put them almost anywhere.

I just leave them in a pile on the floor and it doesn’t make too much mess. Especially the switch cases.

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 05:20:11 pm »

I just leave them in a pile on the floor and it doesn’t make too much mess. Especially the switch cases.

I didn't know that game cases could potentially take a dump if they haven't been teached well.

How many times do you let them out per day or do you have a litter box to keep everything clean?

Aside from that It's Nice to hear that there is not to much of a maintenace as far as taking care of game cases go, especially them switch cases.

Learning new things every day :o
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 05:23:40 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 05:40:07 pm »

I didn't know that game cases could potentially take a dump if they haven't been teached well.

How many times do you let them out per day or do you have a litter box to keep everything clean?

Aside from that It's Nice to hear that there is not to much of a maintenace as far as taking care of game cases go, especially them switch cases.

Learning new things every day :o
Watch out guys we’re dealing with a badass over here

pzeke

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 04:27:48 pm »
If your collection is as small as your signature seems to indicate, anywhere would do.

You could use any of these, too...

Also, if you have some space in your dresser, you could fit your collection in there; I used to do this back in the day. Another option would be a tote, or even a shoe box if you have one laying around.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 05:42:03 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 07:25:58 pm »
Maybe just get a TV stand that has built-in Media storage

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 01:42:27 am »
Yeah I do. It's an official World of Nintendo retail display, but I use it like a bookshelf because I've got too many things in it.

I'd like to remove some of the things so that I could have more room to possible face some of the artwork outward, as I like that better than lining things up by the spine. Sometimes there are displays with tiered shelving so that you can better display things with the artwork forward. The problem is, it takes up much more room that way.