Author Topic: Is music worth collecting to you?  (Read 1045 times)

Is music worth collecting to you?
« on: March 15, 2019, 08:19:40 pm »
I thought about it and music is my most consumed media between music, movies and games.

I listen to music on my commute back and forth from work daily as well as for background noise while gaming or sitting at home.

But is it worth collecting?

Well... it’s always at my finger tips - all of it - and for free. Ignoring all the services dedicated to it, if you have an internet connection you can just search whatever you’re looking for on YouTube.

I’m not into vinyl, that wasn’t a thing I was exposed to growing up.

I have CDs but they have just sat in a cupboard gathering dust literally for years. I have Good Charlotte, Evanesence, Fallout Boy etc. literally from when they came out and the CDs haven’t crossed my mind at all.

I own them I guess, they’re backs ups I guess, I can rip the mp3 whenever I suppose. But PCs are getting made without disc drives now and any physical music collection I make is cheaply available via a streaming service.

Moreover those streaming services give access to millions of songs any song I could ever think of more or less so are much more cost effective than individual album purchases.

Public sentiment has shifted away from CDs - “who still buys CDs?” The man on the street would ask.

Why then would I want to acquire music?

I love music, a lot of it. But I can love it on my phone with a streaming app.

You’re left with the pride of ownership I suppose. But with that, while I fondly read off the band names on the spines of the pile of CDs I do have, I know that owning more would just take up more space on things I’m never going to touch.

If I bought / collected music I’d be getting clutter and something that I either have access to already either free on the internet or included in a streaming app subscription

Re: Is music worth collecting to you?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 10:49:50 pm »
One question, Have you ever listened to or heard of Seether the rock band? I'm serious, there really is a band by the name of Seether, I always wondered ever since I first saw you on here, do you/have listen to them? I think their a pretty good band from the songs I remember listening too and yes music is worth collecting for me.

As far as desktop PC's go I don't think that CD/DVD/Blu Ray drives are going away anytime soon, just on laptops I think it is a problem but not on desktops
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:00:09 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 12:13:12 am »
Of course it is.

Music is such an important art form. You don't need to buy albums simply to access a particular song you heard, or like. You buy them because you are into the particular artist / group and want to have ALL of their music, including the artwork and liner notes. You want to show your support to that artist through buying their albums either from them or through their suppliers. You buy a CD, or a vinyl because you presumably have a good stereo system that can do justice the sound of it. Music collections are fun in that they're all very unique to the specific tastes of the individual. You only need buy what's most compelling to you, and you don't have to worry about value or rarity in most cases. You can find most albums under $12 and if you don't like them, you can get rid of them easily and the value will always be more or less about the same.

The last place I want to listen to a song is through an Internet stream on the tiny built-in speakers, or ear buds of my cell phone. The best place however, is popping a CD into my car's stereo and cranking up the volume. There is a world of difference in the sound quality and immersion of it. Compression of any sort robs the sound of fine details that you'd only notice in the playback of a CD or vinyl on a good system. If you've ever listened to something on a good stereo system, you won't want to settle again. Streaming has that "waterfall" effect on the sound that you can't un-hear and I absolutely hate it. Imagine listening to a speaker with your ear up against a long tube with the other end at the speaker. That's what compression often does to music.

Anyways, yes I believe it's absolutely worth collecting. Maybe even more-so than video games. It's also easier to collect, and a lot of fun as well.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 12:50:21 am »
One question, Have you ever listened to or heard of Seether the rock band? I'm serious, there really is a band by the name of Seether, I always wondered ever since I first saw you on here, do you/have listen to them? I think their a pretty good band from the songs I remember listening too and yes music is worth collecting for me.

As far as desktop PC's go I don't think that CD/DVD/Blu Ray drives are going away anytime soon, just on laptops I think it is a problem but not on desktops

There is also a song called seether- Veruca Salt, early 90's

To answer the OP- yes

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 03:20:18 am »
Not anymore. Streaming services have everything I want to hear and it's free.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 12:25:42 pm »
I listen mostly to Japanese music so buying cds is the only way to get some music. A lot actually. Many songs aren't available to stream or even buy digitally. I don't have a record player though so my only vinyl was a VIP gift for a concert.