Author Topic: NWC cart going for sale soon  (Read 1102 times)

NWC cart going for sale soon
« on: March 07, 2019, 09:56:40 am »
Has anyone seen the post on r/gamecollecting about the Nintendo World Championships cart that was found while getting rid of a collection? Not sure if this interests anyone here, but I thought it was really cool. I used to be really into the NintendoAge forums (mostly lurking) so seeing this sparks something.

Is anyone interested in going for it once the OP starts the selling process? Or do you think this cart is generally overrated and this Reddit post isn't that interesting?

Link:https://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/ay8jfh/a_friend_of_mine_was_given_the_responsibility_of/

Re: NWC cart going for sale soon
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 01:19:33 am »
I get why it's so sought after as it's insanely rare and also it represents when Nintendo was on top of the world in the late 80 and early 90s, but I always knew if I ever came across one of these in the wild that I'd absolutely, without a doubt sell it. No game, however important or rare is worth 10k+ to me, but there are certainly a lot of other things that are, hence why I'd sell it and use the money for something far more important to me.

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 03:50:28 am »
I'm really not very impressed with this thing like so many collectors are. Nintendo held a competition and gave these out to the winners, big deal. It's not even a retail game, so you can't blame the rarity on people simply overlooking it, and I totally do not think it counts as part of a "complete collection". It's pretty lame for a crowning jewel of an entirely console's collection, and I'm not just saying that because I can't afford or justify the asinine value people put on it. It really is quite mundane and forgettable, IMO.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:53:01 am by Warmsignal »

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 07:31:05 am »
I get why people want it and it was a pretty big deal back in the day as far as the event goes when nintendo was on top and the rarity just makes it more special. but I'm not that much of a collector to really want that even if it wasn't to rare or expensive I would most likely not get it since i collect to play and it would not ad to much for me personally.

If I where the owner of nintendo however I would for sure get both the gold nwc and grey new carts since it is part of the history of Nintendo but in that case it would most defintely ad some value to me. Would not really be suprised if they already did that and have a spot for those in the nintendo head quarters of america or maybe japan.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:03:11 am »
It belongs in a video game museum to be shown to people.  not hiding among  just any persons collection in my opinion. As far as the games go I seen a video on YouTube of someone playing it

All this cartridge really is. Is a small compilation of more common NES games, such as "Rad Racer" and some other common otherwise cheap to obtain NES games on it
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 03:51:34 pm »
It belongs in a video game museum to be shown to people. 

In all seriousness: as a game, it's pretty pointless, just a couple minutes of score-based mini challenges. There's no win condition intrinsic to the cart, the play value requires multiple people competing for the best score.

As an artifact, it's pretty cool- a physical representation of a time when Nintendo was king of the gaming world & you could get away with a competition like this. I can't imagine a company making a special variant of their game just for a contest these days.

Personally, I think that makes this the perfect Overpriced Gaming Grail- something those with the money to burn on such tat can attempt to justify for its historic value, while simultaneously being completely unnecessary as a gaming experience- so those of us without infinite money to burn don't have to lose any sleep over this one. Couple that with most repros not even attempting to mimic the real thing, and you've got the perfect balance of bloated bragworthiness and gaming experience.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 08:34:56 am »
I guess I’m in the minority here. I’d stab each and every one of you to own an NWC. OK, that may be a little too extreme. I really would love to have one.

When I started collecting, I knew that I was going to find one out in the wild. Unfortunately, it never happened. I’ve come to grips that I’ll never own a grey or a gold.

If I found one, I’d keep it. That may sound dumb, but it’s an iconic piece for a collector.