Author Topic: What are your thoughts on buying loose discs?  (Read 4761 times)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Re: What are your thoughts on buying loose discs?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 03:08:08 pm »
If I can find a $100 game that's disc only for $2, then why the hell not?  Don't let OCD get the best of you  ;)

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 03:10:28 pm »
Nothing wrong with them as long as they aren't scratched to hell.

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 03:22:09 pm »
As someone already said you can always buy a whole pack of empty CD or DVD or even a Blu-ray cases to store your lose discs. yes I do buy loose discs if the price is decent and Blu-rays don't scratch, unless you do it on purpose. However it is annoying to get a Disc in the mail without a case or just inside a paper sleeve. JJ games website sometimes does this
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 03:43:43 pm »
As someone already said you can always buy a whole pack of empty CD or DVD or even a Blu-ray cases to store your lose discs. yes I do buy loose discs if the price is decent and Blu-rays don't scratch, unless you do it on purpose. However it is annoying to get a Disc in the mail without a case or just inside a paper sleeve. JJ games website sometimes does this
With JJGames what you see is what you get.

kam1kaz3nl77

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 04:03:41 pm »
Blasphemy.

I always get a full and complete game (with all the tidbits) even if it costs a bit more, but no loose sh***t. Period

Upcoming Pre-orders:

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 05:20:02 pm »
Nope, won't do it.  I am sometimes okay with no manual on boxed games, but for cd based games- i need disc, instruction, art, case- minimum

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 05:44:42 pm »
Not often, but I have a couple times to save money. I think way back when I was in school I wanted ff7 and loose was all I could afford lol. I can't think of too much I bought loose otherwise. Well, not a disc but I got p4 golden discounted cause the case was lost. I also have loose games from my childhood, who knows where those cases went. *shrugs* I'm not the hardest core collector for all series I guess is the thing. I just prefer physical media.

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 06:20:08 pm »
I don't have the map for Vay on Sega CD
May as well throw the whole collection out really then.

I SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES! *sob*

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 06:33:19 pm »

I have set up a humanitarian aid crisis GoFundMe campaign to get you the map for Vay on Sega CD.

Warmsignal

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 07:22:18 pm »
Usually, I'll pass. If it's a rare game, and it's cheap then I'll buy just to resell it. I found Silent Hill disc only for $1, no reason to pass that up.

It's funny that we look at disc only with such disdain, but loose cartridge is seen as okay. Cartridges don't really display much better than discs, and they're quite unpleasant to look at as well. I suppose they're more secure, and more rugged. Disc art though, can sometimes be bland, or difficult to read.

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2019, 09:24:09 pm »

I have set up a humanitarian aid crisis GoFundMe campaign to get you the map for Vay on Sega CD.

would love to see a screen shot or link to this go fund me page. I might even consider to donate a dollar or two  ::)
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2019, 12:30:57 am »
Unless it's a pretty rare and/or expensive game I never buy disc only games. I'd rather wait and find the game complete, even if I am getting a better deal on it because it's disc only.

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2019, 12:03:57 pm »
It's funny that we look at disc only with such disdain, but loose cartridge is seen as okay. Cartridges don't really display much better than discs, and they're quite unpleasant to look at as well. I suppose they're more secure, and more rugged. Disc art though, can sometimes be bland, or difficult to read.

I think there's a cost vs. benefit thing going on here. Discs are best kept in cases, regardless of if it's original or not. Carts typically hold up fine stored loose- I mean, could you imagine digging through a bin of loose discs to find a specific game? But I see Game Boy carts stored like that all the time. Plus, cases/boxes are expensive when bought separately- I've seen empty boxes (both for carts & discs) sell for more than a complete copy of a game before! Couple that with cart boxes usually being carboard, therefore requiring special consideration to prevent damage to them, & it just makes more sense to want disc cases. Better to put your money toward a rigid box that protects your game than a cardboard one that only looks nice & that you'll have to take special care of.

would love to see a screen shot or link to this go fund me page. I might even consider to donate a dollar or two  ::)

So would I- then I'd know if I need to work on one of those 'generosity of strangers' spiels if it raises more than $5. :P

spac316

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 12:32:07 am »
I prefer to have disc based games complete. However, if it's a really rare and expensive game that goes fore cheap loose, I may consider it. But otherwise, I can't see me buying loose discs.

pzeke

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2019, 09:29:08 pm »
I don’t like them. I avoid them, but if I come across one for a rare/expensive game for cheap then I’ll definitely get it...and then resell it. Unfortunately for me, my area is devoid of flea markets or Goodwill, so that’s not an option.

I once found a loose copy of Taito Legends 2 at a GameStop for $1 and some change. The disc was in great shape so I couldn’t pass that up. Years later I found a complete copy on eBay far cheap, so I kept the case and manual and completed my loose disc, and sold the other. I also got a “loose” copy of R-Type Delta, which I got in a lot from eBay years ago. I say “loose” because it has the manual but not the inlay (although the manual has seen better days). Had I known that it wasn’t complete AND was an ex-rental, I wouldn’t have bothered, but that’s what happens when you stumble with a listing that’s ending and has little to no traffic and spot a rare game among commons. To this day I’m still trying to remove the sticker residue off the disc’s face. Reselling it has crossed my mind once or thrice.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!