Author Topic: What are your thoughts on buying loose discs?  (Read 4765 times)

megasilverx1

Re: What are your thoughts on buying loose discs?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 12:57:05 am »
I prefer having the disc be complete or at least include the case. However, as long as the disc is in great to decent condition, I don't really care since I can just find an empty DVD or CD case and print out the game's cover.

azure

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 12:58:41 am »
Prefer games to be CIB, and they will be eventually once their added to my collection. That being said a good deal, is a good deal and I wouldn't pass up one that was a loose disc.

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 01:57:18 am »
While having CIB is ideal, sometimes you I cant pass up a good deal on a loose disc or in my case at times, I decide to get a disc only copy of a game I already have on another system

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 09:19:17 am »
Loose carts are fine. Loose discs are a big no-no. I don’t even buy games without cover art.
It’s a personal preference. I just don’t do it.

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 10:03:37 am »
Loose carts are fine. Loose discs are a big no-no. I don’t even buy games without cover art.
It’s a personal preference. I just don’t do it.

You & me both. While Retromangia does make a good point:

If I can find a $100 game that's disc only for $2, then why the hell not?  Don't let OCD get the best of you  ;)

Even then, I think I'd buy it to flip more than anything. See, I've done this in the past- I got lucky years ago and found a disc only Suikoden 2 for $5. However- becuase all my games are CIB, I decided to find the case & manual for it. It took YEARS to finally complete that set! I think when all was said & done, I spent $60 total, so it was still a deal- but also a lot of friggin' work. This is putting aside finding a case for my disc+manual copy of Lunar on Sega CD. That quite literally took a decade of hunting. I don't have that kind of time anymore. I'd rather just pay a lil' more to have a complete copy & be done with it.

sworddude

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2019, 07:31:17 pm »
If I find a spare discs of for example symphony of the night for dirt cheap raiden project or some other games that I really like I'll keep it as a spare copy just in case. I don't mind a lose disc in such cases. Plays just as well and a jewel case is not the hardest thing in the world to get if you dont have some spare ones laying around already.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2019, 08:07:34 am »
The only time I have ever bought loose discs is when HMV went into administration and they had stock without front covers on - I got some great deals like Xenoblade Chronicles, World Ends with You, Lightning Returns, Pikmin (Wii) and more for £2 a pop! All the discs were mint too - I did ask and check at the counter, something I always do when it comes to buying Pre-Owned content.

I must admit though, whenever I see loose discs on eBay I cringe, I wonder about the circumstance on how it managed to be separated and how it would have been looked after while loose and it puts me off the sale immediately. I'd never buy Loose disc online, it's hard enough dealing with dishonest sellers with complete sets as it is.

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 10:06:41 pm »
I must admit though, whenever I see loose discs on eBay I cringe, I wonder about the circumstance on how it managed to be separated...

From personal experience with friends:

1) Someone threw out their cases to keep the games in a binder as a space-saving measure
2) Someone was so ridiculously implusive they literally dropped the case on the floor walking from wherever the game was to the console, and it eventually got lost amongst similarly discarded cases.

pzeke

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2019, 10:29:11 pm »
1) Someone threw out their cases to keep the games in a binder as a space-saving measure

I used to do this with my music CDs, but thankfully kept the cases safely stored away. I actually had the tendency of changing cases between my music CDs and PS1 games trying to make the games look as spiffy as possible.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2019, 06:53:30 pm »
I’ll buy a lone disc if I don’t want to open a sealed game that’s years old.
Obviously, it’s gotta be priced much less than a complete copy though.

zappman

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2019, 02:27:53 am »
I must admit though, whenever I see loose discs on eBay I cringe, I wonder about the circumstance on how it managed to be separated...

From personal experience with friends:

2)......

Loose discs are OK with me. I just bought a bunch of games in a binder at a thrift store.

For my $10.99, I got the binder, 10 "PlayStation" games, 19 "PlayStation 2" games, 1 "PlayStation 2" magazine demo disc, and a "PlayStation 3" game. Also, included were a few movie DVDs. Most of the discs seem to be in "fair to good" condition or "better".

I will most likely place the"PlayStation 1" in brand new jewel cases (which I all ready have), I will use my ink-jet printer to print the titles on paper case inserts. This will allow me to insert these acquired games into the other "PlayStation 1" games in my collection.

I will most likely place the "PlayStation 2" games into a binder, but some may be put into a new "DVD case" or a used "PlayStation 2"case, with covers that I print, so that they can be displayed.

PaleManInBlack

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2019, 11:20:39 pm »
Nope, can't do it. I have to have the case and inserts. The only time I've ever bought disk only is when I'm replacing a disk, such as it being defective.