Author Topic: Preffering Old Games Vs Current Generation Games  (Read 1411 times)

Preffering Old Games Vs Current Generation Games
« on: March 15, 2019, 08:40:15 pm »
Most newer video games are said to be bigger/more depth and an easier difficulty, but what do you guys think about them fun wise compared to the older games.

Do you care what generation a video game is? or like me play or buy older video games, I am thinking that because there is more retro games than there are modern games most may say they like older games better. But there are a lot of people who prefer modern too I'm guessing.

Lets just pretend that the 7th generation is still considered modern, Because correct me if I'm wrong video games didn't really change gameplay or graphic wise much between the 7th & 8th and the Nintendo Switch
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Preffering Old Games Vs Current Generation Games
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 08:45:13 pm »
I prefer modern games.  There's old retro stuff I like for sure, but generally I'm looking for new experiences in gaming.

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 09:14:06 pm »
Old games are my preference, and the older I get, the stronger that preference becomes. Modern games are too over-involved in almost every aspect. I don't enjoy following cinematic storytelling, ultra realistic graphical styles, or complex learning curves and button combinations required just to play the game properly. Not to mention, music in modern gaming is so forgettable compared to the awesome and catchy tunes of the past.

The modern "retro style" gaming scene, is a bit of a different story. Most of my modern games from this gen, are indie or retro style games with a few exceptions.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 12:26:16 am »
I like newer games well enough, but I prefer older games by a small, but noticeable margin. With that said, I do have limits to my preference to older games, mainly that most of the older games I prefer are Gen 5 and Gen 6. I do like Gen 4 quite a bit, but not as much, and then Gen 3 I'm so so on. Anything older than that I just can't get into.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 04:29:43 am »
I prefer newer games.

Compare Rise of the Tomb Raider to Tomb Raider PS1 and tell me you prefer old games.

To be fair about this though old games are inherently dated by today’s standards. By the standards of back then everything was awesome, new, beautiful, fresh.

I enjoyed older games when they first came out way more than I enjoy most modern games releasing today.

Street Fighter II and Super Mario 64 blew my mind at the time Street Fighter V and Super Mario Odyssey are just good games to me now.

PaleManInBlack

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 08:51:42 am »
I'm not too fussed about what generation a game is from. Though, I do lean towards playing more modern games.

Also, I still consider seventh gen 'modern' and agree with you on games not changing much from seventh to eighth.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:53:55 am by purdon »

kashell

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 09:34:14 am »
Definitely older games. I'm more excited to play (or replay) something from a previous generation than check out something from this generation.

Still, there are always exceptions.

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 02:35:21 pm »
Long ago I made the decision not to move on to the current generation of consoles. Since I already have a great collection of good and unusual games, I didn’t see the point. For better graphics… so what? For better story telling… not really. Besides, it’ll take the rest of my life to play through my collection. However, if VR technology takes a big leap forward, that might pique my interest.

mastodon

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 03:33:00 am »
I do not buy/collect anything pass saturn/ps1/n64. I feel the same way Warmsignal does on the matter with some exception. I do have a nice pc and REALLY enjoyed the RE2 remake. There are so many fantastic rpg games on SNES alone. Its hard to beat shooters on a Japanese Saturn. With that said, I do want a Switch someday but just for a few games. I want the new Mario games, the new Mario Cart, Zelda stuff. Outside of those that Square Enix, Octotraveler (i think) rpg looks interesting. I can see a trend though. Im really just interested  in the newer stuff that looks interesting that is linked to the past (da puns).

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 11:59:58 am »
Each era of gaming has its own unique gameplay feel & quirks, and they're all worth playing if your in the mood for that generation's style.

What I call the 'vintage' and 'classic' eras of gaming (so from the Odyssey to 16-bit) excel in fast-paced, arcade like gameplay. Things where you're not really worried about story, but pushing up that score bar. The Vintage (pre-NES) stuff works best in concentrated bursts... you get your gameplay high almost immediately, but the simplistic nature of the games means tedium can set in faster too. The Classic (8 & 16 bit) games hold up better for longer play sessions, as the added processing power allows for more variety of environments & gameplay- plus, most games here now have endings, giving you an alternate goal over score.

The 'neo-classic' era (CD based consoles, plus the N64, up to last gen) is the era of exploration. This is when we see collect-a-thon platformers and open world games start to dominate, plus it's when PC style adventure/point and click titles really start migrating over. Playing in this era rewards those who want to take their time with a game, and look in very nook and cranny for content.

The 'Modern' era (last and current gen, the 'online' consoles, if you will) is the age of multiplayer, and gaming as an 'experience'. We've plateaued on graphical prowess- progress can still be made, of course, but it's slowed down enough to be difficult to notice. A lot of games, as a result, seek to make their mark in other means. Strong storytelling has become commonplace, online multiplayer allows for a new form of interactivity, and experiments in design have lead to some truly gorgeous titles. If you're one of the 'games are art' crowd, who wants to see the boundaries of what we call a 'game' get poked & expanded upon, then the current market is doing just what you like.

These are not mutually exclusive breakdowns... there's nostalgic throwbacks & titles before their time in every generation, and you can bounce around between gameplay styles as you see fit. But if you lean towards a specific type of game, you'll likely have a preference for one of these groups. I really enjoy the artsy-fartsy indie stuff of today, so I do play a lot of modern. But that doesn't mean I don't sometimes just want to sit down with an a pile of Atari carts, and throw dots around to get a high number once in awhile. Or maybe get an anthropomorphic animal to mosy around a green valley looking for shiny things. There's merit all around.

azotam

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 01:13:52 pm »
It depends on the game in question.
Still updating collection.

pzeke

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 09:26:12 pm »
Older games are for the most what I’m interested in, and by that I mean Generation 2 to 6. Of course, that doesn’t mean I ignore modern games, I just simply pay attention to what piques my interest – if it’s good, I’ll play it. I think that could be a common consensus with most people.

Personally, I don’t get distracted or influenced by the age of a game or its graphics, but do admit I find it a bit hard to get into games from the first two generations, even though I experienced the second one during my childhood.

Overall, some really good points brought forth.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 08:17:08 am »
In general I am still trying to keep up with all the PS4 backlog of games I have. After Kindgom Hearts III I've actually had the time to go back and play some of them - The next new game I am getting will be Sonic Team Racing.. but even that will be withheld for Fridays so I can play co-op. Also, I am trying out a classic for the first time in a while in Final Fantasy V - GBA, while I own the GBA version I am still using a PC Emulator, it just looks so good upscaled to 1080P & I can use my PS4 controller win-win!

I must admit, I do struggle to go back and play older games, sadly, it does come down to trophies, games without the are slightly less appealing and that does come into effect when choosing my next game - It just feels less authentic in some way, which I know is shallow to note. I do want to go back and play some PS1 classics like Grandia, Alundra, Legend of Dragoon & so on but newer releases tend to take priority and with boat-load for a backlog I just rarely get around to it.

Sometimes I can be a hardware barrier, all my PS2 games are still boxed up as I don't have a good method to play them - I bought the Pound PS2 HDMI cable and was very disappointed with it! I have loads of PS2 titles I'd love to try out like Blood Will Tell, but sadly just don't have the means to do so. But with my recent Emulator set up, which looks so much better than playing PS1 games on the PS3, I am hopeful to get around to more classics this year, I'm 12+ hours in Final Fantasy V so I'm doing just fine :)

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 09:31:04 am »
Compare Rise of the Tomb Raider to Tomb Raider PS1 and tell me you prefer old games.

To be fair about this though old games are inherently dated by today’s standards. By the standards of back then everything was awesome, new, beautiful, fresh.

While I don’t dispute this particular example, look at other franchises: None of the “New” Super Mario Games hold a candle to Mario World or Mario 3.

It’s always completely dependent on the type of game.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 05:41:55 pm by Cartagia »

ferraroso

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 04:15:55 pm »
I tend to prefer newer games much more than I usually enjoy contemporary music and movies.
Nevertheless, I still play older stuff a lot more than I play newer games...