Author Topic: That Thing You Miss  (Read 3332 times)

That Thing You Miss
« on: March 16, 2019, 04:14:32 am »
I'm gonna try to make this not sound too odd, but I'm sure everyone sorta has something they might miss, whether it's something they did in a different place, or it reminds them of their childhood, and it's just not around anymore for whatever reason.  Like this isn't the "Old Tech You'd Want Again" thread from before, this is more chill and general in concept.  I'll try and lay out mine as an example.

Rain.  I miss totally normal rain.  If you've never been to Florida, this won't make sense probably, but in Florida, at least in Southern Florida, rain doesn't work like it does in other places.  Growing up in the Pacific NW, rain could last for days, getting lighter or heavier, but was generally consistent.  That tended to be an issue at times, but we are ignoring that part.  In Florida, particularly during the summer, rain exists for like 10 to 20 minutes at most in the afternoon or at night, coming down so hard, your wipers can't get rid of it fast enough, and then it's gone.  You could get hit with a downpour while driving, and go through what feels like an overhang, and the rain is gone and you can see the line of rain behind you.  It's ridiculous and always unpleasant.

I miss just that gentle patter of rain outside a window, something light that can last for awhile and it's become this oddly soothing thing where I have some background scenery stuff I use for a wallpaper, that have rain in it, because even the visuals of rain can feel soothing.

The same is also for snow.  Of course no snow here, but back home, when you get that big fluffy snow, no wind, it's not a blizzard, just a gentle layering of snow that builds up, it's night time, there's a glow from the streelights, and it's quiet because I think literally the snow acts like this sound dampening feel.  That could be wrong, but that's what it always felt like to me, especially with people not driving around at night (I lived in a small town), and it's a feeling I haven't had in years.  I use to like just hanging out on the porch for abit when I was younger to kinda just take that in and I really miss it.

So yeah, hopefully that doesn't sound weird or confusing, just some odd late thoughts of mine as I was browsing for some new chill desktop backgrounds.

Re: That Thing You Miss
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 04:35:36 am »
I miss not feeling paranoid, I miss peace of mind, I just wish people would get off my back and let me live freely. when I was sixteen I got hacked and to my knowledge still am today and I'm 30 now. and my cyberbullies most of them are now in their 40's and late 30's.  they were in college and in their 20's when they started.

None of my consoles work right, because of it, I can't play a single game without feeling paranoid about how these guys used to freeze my consoles and destroy my computer files. and corrupt my game discs especially the PC, when I left the game in the CD-ROM too long, I didn't even need an internet connection to get hacked so they just did it through the power lines and my family didn't believe me.

I just assume that every single glitch is a hacker but I was right for the 1st ten years of it turns out
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 04:54:19 am »
I miss getting laid.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 12:12:49 pm »
I miss getting laid.

You can't miss something you've never experienced.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 12:27:11 pm »
I miss video rental stores. I know streaming and also Redbox are far more convenient, but going out to rent something was always an experience. It was fun browsing rows and rows of movies and video games, trying to find one that looked cool enough to rent. Sometimes this would result in a movie that totally sucked, but sometimes you'd be pleasantly surprised and find a new movie you really liked. Also, renting video games and movies often went hand in hand with ordering some sort of takeout. My two main video rental stores growing up were an independent place called Famous Video which was located right next to a really good Mexican food place we ate at all the time growing up, and the other was a Hollywood video located next to my favorite Chinese restaurant which recently went out of business after being there for over 30-years. I have so many fond memories of all these places.

Less politics in day to day life. Part of this was growing up a naive child who didn't have a care in the world, but part of it also was I didn't feel like politics were so imbedded in nearly every facet of my life. I am saying this not from a conservative or liberal perspective, but rather just in general. I feel like this has made out society a much more hostile place to live in, and no doubt platforms like social media have perpetuated this since it allows us to get an inside scoop on people we may not have known s much about before things like Facebook and Twitter became a thing. I guess that leads into another thing I miss; a world without social media.

Going on vacations more. As a kid my family didn't have a lot of money, in fact we went on only two vacations ever. However, I've been on way more vacations than that thanks to a very generous and well off aunt of mine that took it upon herself to take my siblings and I on many trips and vacations growing up. The last vacation I went on as a result of her generosity was to New York City back in 2006. Since then I have only been on 3 vacations, two to southern California and one to Wyoming (yeah, it was as lame as it sounds...). I miss going different places as much as I used to, but since I am now the one footing the bill it's become a unfortunate reality that vacations are very expensive. It's been a lifelong dream of mine to go to Japan, but the cost of getting to and from there plus hotels, food, and anything else I decided to do or buy would certainly mean a trip there would cost be around $5000 minimum. Obviously that's a ton of money and while I could have gone there by now if I really committed myself to going, I've decided that I'd rather spend the money on other things. Still I'd love to go there and many other places like I used to. 

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 03:19:42 pm »
I miss getting laid.

You can't miss something you've never experienced.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 07:49:45 pm »
I miss the world before the "smart" phone and social media. Social diseases were better than social media.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 08:25:44 pm »
I miss the world before the "smart" phone and social media. Social diseases were better than social media.
I don't like political Social Media. I liked it better when it was just pure cancer

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 09:19:00 pm »
I miss my childhood.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 09:02:41 am »
I miss time.
I wish there was another day in the week that no one knew about except me. I need a little time to myself; but with family and work, me time just isn’t an option.

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 12:17:47 pm »
Freedom of information on the internet.

kypherion

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 01:34:46 pm »
I miss going outside with friends and playing like a little kid, before social media. Now I'm either holed up inside playing games or on my phone in my spare time.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

pzeke

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 01:47:20 pm »
I miss going outside with friends and playing like a little kid, before social media. Now I'm either holed up inside playing games or on my phone in my spare time.

I don't know how old you are, and I certainly don't mean to be an a-hole, but make an effort to do so. Peel yourself off the screens and take a whiff of fresh air from time to time.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

mark1982

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 11:56:59 am »
Food!

When I was younger I did a lot of traveling because of my fathers profession, so we traveled the globe one place to the next and when I was a teenager we ended up in Thailand for about 2 years.

Man oh man the food there is an exquisite mix of exploding flavors all at once ;D. I know Thai food has become popular globally but nothing beats the real deal, the seafood is extremely fresh if you like that sort of thing. I missed it so much, that now I'm older I make it a point to travel there at least once a year.  :)
  l    l 

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 12:36:45 pm »
Video Stores is a great answer.  I worked in an indie shop from 2006-2009 right before the industry finally fell in on itself.  Best job I ever had.

I miss being able to stay up / out as long as I wanted with minimal effort.  Some nights it was a 6-8 hour WoW session.  Some nights was just binging some TV show or movie series.  Some nights was going out with friends to a bar, or a movie.  Generally not hitting the bed til 2 or 3 in the morning, getting up a 9 and doing it all again.  I’m usually out cold by 11 now.