Author Topic: Do You Feel Comfortable With All The Free To Play Games Online?  (Read 1544 times)

I am a little too skeptical when it comes to free to play games online today, I don't really play too many free games anymore because I don't want to mess my computer up yet again. Because for some reason when I download a lot of  games online they somehow get corrupt once I leave them alone for usually a couple of months. and most of them turned into a Trojan Horse on my computer that needs to be deleted

I don't know why that is the case, when I first installed game engines like "Eduke32" or "Open RCT2" they were fine no virus

The files shortcut of Open RCT2  turns into an unidentifiable program or in "Eduke32's" case a Trojan horse detected on my Norton virus detector many times on Windows 7

below is an earlier topic I created about free abandon ware if anyone wants to read it,

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,9813.msg160928.html#msg160928

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 08:35:58 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Do You Feel Comfortable With All The Free To Play Games Online?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 03:27:11 am »
I think you maybe just need to pick free to play games that are more reliable? Like I don't know what the things you are talking about are.  According to the previous thread, just play old games that you can only get on a platform that is known to be reliable like GOG or Steam and you won't have to worry about random virus's.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 08:35:05 am »
I think you maybe just need to pick free to play games that are more reliable? Like I don't know what the things you are talking about are.  According to the previous thread, just play old games that you can only get on a platform that is known to be reliable like GOG or Steam and you won't have to worry about random virus's.

This.  It should generally only be a problem if you are doing something outside of the normal commercial channels, and based on your general reluctance and paranoia about such things, I'm surprised that you are going outside of those outlets.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 12:32:14 pm »

This.  It should generally only be a problem if you are doing something outside of the normal commercial channels, and based on your general reluctance and paranoia about such things, I'm surprised that you are going outside of those outlets.

The thing is I actually haven't done abandonware in a few years and that was not my problem. for instance Eduke32 and OpenRCT2 are actually ports of older games that let you run Duke Nukem 3D, and Roller Coaster Tycoon on newer windows operating systems. For example without OpenRCT2 roller coaster tycoon simply just will not run on either Windows 7 and most definitely not Windows 10, without crashing at startup

The vanilla versions of a lot older PC games (even with steam) will not run. again once you play them for a while I read the steam forums too. People complained that when they first played it it worked fine. but like me if you try to get into (on a different day or night) RCT2 either by disc or steam the game starts crashing at startup at random times

turns out I did some research and found that OpenRCT2 and Eduke32 are both malware programs, and pardon my language OpenRCT2 is the only way to run properly roller coaster tycoon both 1 or 2 on Windows 10 and someone fucked it up leaving me and everybody else screwed >:(

this malware that comes with these programs and changes the default icon and does unnoticeable damage to anyone computer. eventually locking you out of the game

(edit) as for eduke32 it works fine but eventually turns itself into malware after a few months of having it on your harddrive, according to most every anti-virus program
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 12:59:17 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 01:19:34 pm »
Hmm, on the subject of old games. I run them on a virtual box with XP. Pretty safe and if anything were to happen to your virtual box you can hopefully wipe it without much losses. That usually solves any compatibility problems. ScummVM and VtMB unofficial patch are the only exceptions I can think of that I use. I do try to check reviews though, usually anything shady will have already been called out for it.

That has little with online FtP though, huh? When I hear that I think of free MMOs and such. Which I've never had issues with.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 02:31:48 pm »
Hmm, on the subject of old games. I run them on a virtual box with XP. Pretty safe and if anything were to happen to your virtual box you can hopefully wipe it without much losses. That usually solves any compatibility problems. ScummVM and VtMB unofficial patch are the only exceptions I can think of that I use. I do try to check reviews though, usually anything shady will have already been called out for it.

That has little with online FtP though, huh? When I hear that I think of free MMOs and such. Which I've never had issues with.

I can agree it does might have something to do with hidden FTP, (File Transfer Protocol) in which is a command prompt thing. That just anyone with the advance knowledge of computers. Can use to connect to your computer online and run a background task, upon their victims installing game glitches, and malware unto someones computer usually through an online game in which OpenRCT2 does actually have a online multiplayer feature.

MMO's can be dangerous I feel even though through the years I didn't have much noticeable trouble with Zandronum and Skulltag, most bug trolls I think are unemployed and have nothing better to do with their time except for to mess with people, that they have no clue who their messing with

(edit) I know what you mean when your said FtP, meaning(^%$* the population) yea I think that is also a common gesture among the online community.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:01:23 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 08:19:26 am »
I may be speaking out of turn, but I think baileykun may actually mean "Free to Play" when they say FtP, based on the reference to MMOs.

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 07:35:00 pm »
I may be speaking out of turn, but I think baileykun may actually mean "Free to Play" when they say FtP, based on the reference to MMOs.

agreed sorry for the mess lately, I seem to be burying myself on here lately :(

NO APPS NEEDED

telly

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 08:08:45 pm »
Haha, I feel like we use way too many acronyms sometimes, no need to feel bad!
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 09:02:06 pm »

agreed sorry for the mess lately, I seem to be burying myself on here lately :(
No worries!  Like I said, I could be wrong.

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 12:26:22 pm »
I did mean free to play lol. No worries though. I don't know. Either way I find virus protection is pretty good at blocking anything shady. At least for me. In fact it even tends to block totally benign games sometimes. Just go install Avast and research anything before you install and you'll be protected pretty well right? That's how I see it.

Thinking of shady games stuff though I remember that shady as heck tool that was made to allow ps3 controllers. I forget the name though. DS3 tool? It was so weird cause apparently you had to stay connected to a server for it to function. Some people swore it had malware and others swore it didn't. I never did find out the truth.