Author Topic: In'Game Music May Take A Toll On A Laser Drive /CD/DVD/Blu Ray Theory  (Read 3857 times)

When I was a child I would play a lot of PC video games that would play both game and music off the CD-ROM laser.  I also scratched a lot of my CD's and was playing them while scratched. Most of these games would run like a console (off the laser), I went through a lot of CD ROM drives back then. :-\

I believe that the constant running of background music, was part of the cause of this. On some older late 1990's PC games. In which played and ran music while the game played.

But it also probably had something to do with playing them when scratched.

I think PC games no longer use the CD-ROM for in-game music. Ever since hard-drives were able to play the music. Therefore saving a lot of lasers work. Unfortunately consoles don't have this option I don't think as of this post.

What do you think? I am leaving a lot of space for discussion about my theory, of preserving the laser.

I did mention this before on a different post today (in a previous edit), but I figured I start a thread about this topic alone.

(Edit) I will admit that games like Gran Turismo I still probably keep the music playing because a game is pretty much dull without music :(
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 10:59:32 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

So the music damages the drive, but the games themselves don't....If I play the game with music turned off my drive will last longer? I don't even know how to truly respond to this....

So the music damages the drive, but the games themselves don't....If I play the game with music turned off my drive will last longer? I don't even know how to truly respond to this....

I am not sure if this is correct either that is why I said it was a theory, just ignore what I said, It might just be an older PC thing that happened to me. The music in old PC games would take a toll on the drive because I used my CDROM excessively back in the day. PC Games used to constantly spin for both music, file reading, and gameplay and sound like a fright train on older PC games that I played years ago.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 03:37:28 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

oldgamerz it is called wear and tear

obviously if you use something allot it might break at some point you cannot be serious  ::)

playing a game with or withouth music will not make a difference if you use it allot results will be the same.

Only differences are if your pc was durable since there are obviously some differences in quality along pc's

also scratches on disc. obviously scratches come from use so imo this topic is getting kinda dumb.

as far as scratches goes a disc drive has to work harder to read something correctly when a disc has scratches wich is the only thing why a disc might spin harder. but your music theory is kinda   :o

some games push the limits of a pc more than others as another explanation for a pc to work harder to play a game but the music is kinda small stuff in comparison.

Your getting a Seether minus grade I'd say I have to stop myself from reading these topics :o
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 04:38:49 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

I abandoned this topic pretty much after the first reply it does not need to exist. it probably should be deleted I don't even know why I started it,

NO APPS NEEDED