Author Topic: MegaDrive / Genesis Mini - Available on Sep 19 Worldwide  (Read 10598 times)

mark1982

MegaDrive / Genesis Mini - Available on Sep 19 Worldwide
« on: April 02, 2019, 04:18:26 am »

Announced a few days ago, didn't see a thread about it here on VGCollect.

- US will get a Genesis branded console.
- 40 games in total
- Releasing on September 19 worldwide.
- Controllers will be USB based. 6 buttons on the Japanese version and 3 buttons on the western version.
- Save state support.
- Developed by M2
- Yuzo Koshiro will be making new music for the menus of the console.
- America and Europe will only get the 2 controllers version for $79.99 / 79.99€ / £69.99

List of games announced for the Japanese version:

Castlevania Bloodlines
    Comix Zone
    Gunstar Heroes
    Madō Monogatari
    Puyo Puyo Tsu
    Rent a Hero
    Shining Force
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Space Harrier 2
    Wrestleball

List of games announced for the Western version:

Altered Beast
    Castlevania Bloodlines
    Comix Zone
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Gunstar Heroes
    Shining Force
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Space Harrier 2
    Toejam & Earl

Official Sites

https://sega.jp/mdmini/ - Japan
http://genesismini.sega.com/ - American
http://megadrivemini.sega.com/ - Europe

So VGCollect, excited about this? I'm a bit on the fence about these Classic mini consoles - For one I have majority of the games already so I'll probably get one only if it's a good deal for a collectors item. Other than that I think it's cool for newer players, or non collectors to have access to these games (legally). The Mega Drive has always been one of my favorite consoles and Castlevania Bloodlines / Vampire Killer is the real deal! Overall, glad it's coming out.
  l    l 

aliensstudios

Re: MegaDrive / Genesis Mini - Available on Sep 19 Worldwide
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 12:18:02 pm »
Do you know if AtGames is the one behind this? I have their Sega Genesis FlashBack and while the features are neat like being able to use real carts and controllers with 720p HDMI output, the emulation is something awful.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 01:49:55 pm »
Do you know if AtGames is the one behind this? I have their Sega Genesis FlashBack and while the features are neat like being able to use real carts and controllers with 720p HDMI output, the emulation is something awful.

I am not sure either, but as far as AtGames go, I have to say most of their Flashback consoles are decent, I got a Sega Genesis mini but I've never used it, I do hear that the Genesis Flashback is not a good one to buy, but their Atari Flashback's are great except for some of the games that come with it.

however their ColecoVision flashback has lousy controllers that mine both broke due to the joystick being held together with some sort of rubbery plastic instead of steal
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 01:55:46 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 02:30:53 pm »
It is not AtGames.  SEGA’s decision to back away from them is what caused the delay in release.

But the bigger question is: Why does the US only get 3-button controllers?!

mark1982

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 03:25:55 pm »

As Cartagia mentioned it's not AtGames, this time around it's M2, definitely a better choice for emulation quality.

"This isn’t Sega’s first attempt in the retro gaming market. It’s licensed its name out to emulator console before to companies like AtGames, although it has had a mixed track record with quality. The company originally announced the Mega Drive Mini a year ago to coincide with the original device’s 30th anniversary. But late in 2018, the company announced that it was delaying that release, seemingly over the quality issues that plagued the earlier consoles. At Sega Fes, the company revealed that developer M2 will replace AtGames to produce the games for the device."

From theverge.com
source - https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/30/18288193/sega-genesis-mega-drive-mini-retro-console-september-19-2019

l    l 

telly

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 03:55:33 pm »
Interesting that Japan is getting Sonic 2 while we're getting Sonic 1
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

Warmsignal

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 07:53:11 pm »
I don't think all the games have been announced yet. I'd be shocked if no Sonic 2. It's about time Sega does something potentially right for the first time in a good 25 years.

mark1982

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 09:02:32 am »
10 More Mega Drive Mini titles announced - this is getting an impressive lineup of games.

Revealed on a Famitsu Stream:

Thunder Force III
    Super Fantasy Zone
    M.U.S.H.A.
    World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck
    Bare Knuckle II/Streets of Rage 2
    The Hybrid Front
    Landstalker
    Contra Hard Corps
    Dyna Brothers 2: Sega Channel Special
    Game no Kanzume Otokuyou

Some of the titles in the list are Japan MegaDrive exclusives so probably those will be for the Japan edition. (The Hybrid Front, Dyna Brothers 2, and Game no Kanzume Otokuyou)
  l    l 

ferraroso

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 09:35:25 am »
These 10 other games were also confirmed for the Western release of the system.

Earthworm Jim
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Contra: Hard Corps
Streets of Rage 2
Thunder Force III
Super Fantasy Zone
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Landstalker

As always, I will maybe stick (or be stuck) with the Japanese version, but as a Sega fan, I must say that it already looks tastier than any mini console released by that other company...

kashell

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 09:52:47 am »
Shining Force and Castlevania are the only two games I'd like to play. The rest are kind of a *shrug*.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 10:30:59 am »

World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck...
As always, I will maybe stick (or be stuck) with the Japanese version, but as a Sega fan, I must say that it already looks tastier than any mini console released by that other company...

I genuinely may have to consider this now... World of Illusion is one of the finest Co-op experiences there is!

mark1982

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 10:43:49 am »
These 10 other games were also confirmed for the Western release of the system.

Earthworm Jim
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Contra: Hard Corps
Streets of Rage 2
Thunder Force III
Super Fantasy Zone
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Landstalker

Nice Find!

Shinobi III is a fantastic game, the lineup is definitely solid. I wonder if it will make the Japanese version. (Super Shinobi II)
  l    l 

mark1982

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 12:10:46 pm »
Next batch of Sega games announced a while back for NA and JP.

Nice to see Story of Thor and Ghouls n Ghosts. Wily Wars is interesting as well too.

l    l 

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 12:30:52 pm »
If the fourth and final batch of games they announce for this are as impressive as the previous three I will probably be picking this up. Common Musha, Lightening Force and Moonwalker!!!

megasilverx1

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 08:46:49 pm »
The line up looks pretty good! I'm happy to see that Wily Wars will be included. Even though it doesn't run as smoothly as the NES originals, the Wily Tower bonus game included after completing all three Mega Man games is a blast. I can see myself getting a Genesis Mini even though I already have the Genesis Classics collection for Switch.