Author Topic: UPCs  (Read 969 times)

psydswipe

UPCs
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:56:56 pm »
It looks like the game pages might be dropping the leading zero if a UPC has one. If you look at 007 here you'll see the UPC was submitted with the zero but it was dropped on the game's page: http://vgcollect.com/item/324/history. However, I did find one that didn't do that so I don't know: http://vgcollect.com/item/19054. Wasteland UPC was submitted last year whereas the 007 one was this year, so maybe something in the database coding changed?

I've also noticed a few odd UPCs that were entered without the first and last number, and had a space in the middle (##### #####). Most U.S. UPCs should be twelve digits, though I believe some old 80s products might not list those end digits. I've found Intellivision games tend to not have a UPC directly on the packaging so I'd guess they likely stuck a UPC sticker on the plastic wrap.

matt

Re: UPCs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 01:56:34 pm »
wow good find. I ran a few tests and notice that any leading zeros are removed during an update. Looking into this now. I've got big plans for the barcodes so this has moved to the top of my priority list.

Thanks!

atariboy

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:55:01 pm »
I've also noticed that when trying to edit them to put 0's back in bar code it won't be on the update list even though I tried to correct it.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

matt

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 08:27:02 pm »
and fixed. That one was a bitch to debug.

The only issue is that any games that have had edited barcodes may not have invalid data. :( I'll guess we'll have to sort this out over time.

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:05:40 pm »
and fixed. That one was a bitch to debug.

The only issue is that any games that have had edited barcodes may not have invalid data. :( I'll guess we'll have to sort this out over time.
Do you have a UPC / EAN validator installed, or are you accepting any random number people insert into it?

You could potentially track down the missing 0s by running a validation script individual UPC codes - if the code is 11 digits long, apply a 0 and run the validation. If it works, replace it with the leading 0. Or something.

matt

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 09:14:11 pm »
No validation as it wouldn't be consistent across regions and would have to be category specific. I'm going to see if I can generate a report and update those with 11 chars.

matt

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 09:31:02 pm »
There are 1,036  games that have 11 digit barcodes right now. Going to run a query to update these.

EDIT: Updated!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:33:33 pm by matt »