Author Topic: If You Had To Downsize Your Collections What Would You Keep Longest?  (Read 2597 times)

Re: If You Had To Downsize Your Collections What Would You Keep Longest?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 07:32:30 pm »
I would get rid of toys, comics, movies then games. Atari/intellivision and NES would go first. TG-16, Playstaion and Xbox One would be the last to go.

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 12:12:46 pm »
The truth is anyone can clear his game collection, it's the circumstances and the will to actually begin a clear-out, which kept me from doing it (kept hoarding). Each and every person has his own reasons and his own selective way of justifying which games to sell/keep.

Excactly- I keep extra funds around for emergencies, so unless something extreme happens purges are the result of a desire for space. I sold the anime to make more room for games. I will likely purge some more manga in May to make room for games. Each time after the first you think "this is it, I'm down to the essentials"... but then a couple years go by and you realize you still haven't watched/read/played/used things since before the last purge. I imagine I'd do it more often if not for the effort of trying to sell on Ebay.

wolfen

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 02:06:49 am »
Pretty much everything else and then games. I don't like any other media nearly as much as I like games and most other media like anime/tv series/movies are readily available through various services. Plus reacquiring certain games would be much harder/expensive than those other media.

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 07:59:12 am »
The truth is anyone can clear his game collection, it's the circumstances and the will to actually begin a clear-out, which kept me from doing it (kept hoarding). Each and every person has his own reasons and his own selective way of justifying which games to sell/keep.

Excactly- I keep extra funds around for emergencies, so unless something extreme happens purges are the result of a desire for space. I sold the anime to make more room for games. I will likely purge some more manga in May to make room for games. Each time after the first you think "this is it, I'm down to the essentials"... but then a couple years go by and you realize you still haven't watched/read/played/used things since before the last purge. I imagine I'd do it more often if not for the effort of trying to sell on Ebay.

Same.  The odds of me needing to purge for cash are pretty low - but if that did happen I would probably get rid of some specific game stuff first (Virtual Boy, extra consoles, etc) as that would be the best way for me to get some cash in flow.  I did get rid of all of my Atari 2600 stuff about a year ago.  I was never going to play it, and cash is always good.  Then it would be my Magic: The Gathering decks.  I've not played in over a year at least and I've got some value there worth looking into (been meaning to sell my Masterwork Wurmcoil Engine as it is).

Now, if we are talking purging for space, that's been done on multiple occasions.  Toys and collectibles are down to pretty negligible amounts, with the only thing really taking up any space are my classic TMNT toys and some boxed McFarlane's that already stored away.  I've been in the process of a big DVD / movie clean-up over the last year and and half.  I'm probably down by 1/4, maybe a full third.  I've also gotten rid of a few books, mostly some pulpy fantasy stuff.  In fact, the only thing I've not considered getting rid to clear space is my game collection.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 08:01:38 am by Cartagia »

mike24rules

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 05:08:42 am »
if i was to downsize it would be saturn,nes and dreamcast i love all 3 but i play them the least. i cant ever get rid of my ps3 it means alot to me.