Author Topic: Neo Geo 2 and 3 with New Metal Slug  (Read 1565 times)

mastodon

mark1982

Re: Neo Geo 2 and 3 with New Metal Slug
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 04:36:24 am »
Interesting, however the article also mentioned "new Metal Slug title is in development for the new console, as well as other systems." so looks like the new metal slug is not exclusive, would be silly to do so anyway since mainstream consumers are not gonna go out of their way to invest in new Neo Geo hardware. A nice addition for collectors though.
  l    l 

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 12:05:29 pm »
It implies that the device is not a "new console" rather some device that runs packaged software.
I think the days of consoles as we had known them are basically over. Everything is just a computer now.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 05:26:19 pm »
It implies that the device is not a "new console" rather some device that runs packaged software.
I think the days of consoles as we had known them are basically over. Everything is just a computer now.

Only real difference between some newer consoles and computers is a lot of the time Computers are cheaper
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 06:35:25 pm »

Only real difference between some newer consoles and computers is a lot of the time Computers are cheaper

how is a computer cheaper than a 300 - 500 $ console

Computers are usually around 1K $ park withouth a screen and those are just the mediocre ones. The good stuff is a couple K if not far more

How is a computer cheaper than a brand new current gen console you can't be serious  :o And if were going 2nd hand consoles are also far cheaper 2nd hand.

yea sure low end pc's are in the 300 - 500 range but computers are usually way more expensive than consoles not to mention that you need a pretty solid pc for the same games that work on console since a pc usually uses stuff for normal software and such limiting the processing power to use on games unlike consoles wich can just go all out since they are designed just for gaming with some very small side processes unlike normal computers.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:40:37 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 09:49:14 pm »

Computers are usually around 1K $ park withouth a screen and those are just the mediocre ones. The good stuff is a couple K if not far more

How is a computer cheaper than a brand new current gen console you can't be serious  :o And if were going 2nd hand consoles are also far cheaper 2nd hand.

yea sure low end pc's are in the 300 - 500 range but computers are usually way more expensive than consoles not to mention that you need a pretty solid pc for the same games that work on console since a pc usually uses stuff for normal software and such limiting the processing power to use on games unlike consoles wich can just go all out since they are designed just for gaming with some very small side processes unlike normal computers.

It all depends on where you go shopping My sister recently found a new desktop PC for $80USD,online a few months ago. From what I heard from her it was not a gaming computer, but with newer technology you don't need a lot of specs for a retro game PC, I was not talking about a pre-buillt modern gaming PC @sworddude.

If you want a modern gaming PC yes it can be over $1000 USD and higher especially for something pre-build, My flat screen monitor only cost me about $100

also you can buy a do it yourself kit for $100 or plus from Microcenter

I just looked online and for the pre-built ones for brand name yes they can run $400USD and Up
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 09:58:20 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 06:45:28 am »

It all depends on where you go shopping My sister recently found a new desktop PC for $80USD,online a few months ago. From what I heard from her it was not a gaming computer, but with newer technology you don't need a lot of specs for a retro game PC, I was not talking about a pre-buillt modern gaming PC @sworddude.

If you want a modern gaming PC yes it can be over $1000 USD and higher especially for something pre-build, My flat screen monitor only cost me about $100

also you can buy a do it yourself kit for $100 or plus from Microcenter

I just looked online and for the pre-built ones for brand name yes they can run $400USD and Up

you will need high end pc's or at least above average pc's to run current gen console ps4 xbox one games. Consoles are way cheaper for current gen games pc's will never be cheaper than consoles in that regard.

Retro games sure but than again most retro consoles are very cheap aswell and there are limits since you actually need a pretty powerfull pc to run dreamcast or saturn games on an emulator. So only for 16 bit games and less are shitty pc's an option.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:14:26 am by sworddude »

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 09:57:00 am »

Computers are usually around 1K $ park withouth a screen

You don't buy a console without a screen, why is a computer any different? If you want to use display comparisons, then you could say that on average, a console setup is more expensive than a computer setup, as many people spend more for their television than the console.

Cost equivalents for consoles to computers are very close, on a price of manufacturing basis. Modern console price per unit is determined by the cost of the run and the projected royalty incentive from sales on their respective digital marketplace. This means that a console can be priced with a 10-20% markdown below cost if the royalty payments per unit are expected to say... add 30-40% per unit over the life of the unit. You do not see this type of pricing in computers with exception to the low end retail market, where computers by large manufacturers like Dell or HP are selling computers loaded with trial software and have their own storefront on the Windows Store. They can sell those computers at a very low cost because of the expected royalty return of bundled software and promoted apps in the online store.

This idea that you would need a high end computer to run current console games is simply not true. You can use a 5  year old mid-range computer or a current below mid-range computer to run any console game. This matches perfectly as console technology to software capabilities is slow, and consoles have historically matched to just below mid-range computers of their era. However, what you are saying had been true in the past, but is not true right now. There are three main factors in play here, but the end result is a shrinking in advancement of technology when it comes to computer games. The first is the shift away from desktop computing to the mobile market, the second is shifting gaming market from desktop computers to consoles (developing on lower-end systems) and then the fact that technology has not really progressed that much (in comparison to the past) for about 12 years now, which was when the Quad-Core CPUs hit the retail market.

The emulator comparison for old systems is not comparible in the way you put it either. The requirements are due to the emulator itself, rather than the software. It should be obvious that devkits for those systems were computers of that era and they had no problem running those games. They did not have devkits that were using technology 20 years into the future.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 11:41:47 am »

Computers are usually around 1K $ park withouth a screen

You don't buy a console without a screen, why is a computer any different? If you want to use display comparisons, then you could say that on average, a console setup is more expensive than a computer setup, as many people spend more for their television than the console.

Cost equivalents for consoles to computers are very close, on a price of manufacturing basis. Modern console price per unit is determined by the cost of the run and the projected royalty incentive from sales on their respective digital marketplace. This means that a console can be priced with a 10-20% markdown below cost if the royalty payments per unit are expected to say... add 30-40% per unit over the life of the unit. You do not see this type of pricing in computers with exception to the low end retail market, where computers by large manufacturers like Dell or HP are selling computers loaded with trial software and have their own storefront on the Windows Store. They can sell those computers at a very low cost because of the expected royalty return of bundled software and promoted apps in the online store.

This idea that you would need a high end computer to run current console games is simply not true. You can use a 5  year old mid-range computer or a current below mid-range computer to run any console game. This matches perfectly as console technology to software capabilities is slow, and consoles have historically matched to just below mid-range computers of their era. However, what you are saying had been true in the past, but is not true right now. There are three main factors in play here, but the end result is a shrinking in advancement of technology when it comes to computer games. The first is the shift away from desktop computing to the mobile market, the second is shifting gaming market from desktop computers to consoles (developing on lower-end systems) and then the fact that technology has not really progressed that much (in comparison to the past) for about 12 years now, which was when the Quad-Core CPUs hit the retail market.

The emulator comparison for old systems is not comparible in the way you put it either. The requirements are due to the emulator itself, rather than the software. It should be obvious that devkits for those systems were computers of that era and they had no problem running those games. They did not have devkits that were using technology 20 years into the future.

I did mention at the very least an above average pc. Max grapics on those games need an at least above average pc that's how it's always been. otherwise people need to upgrade stuff or buy a new pc that's how it works or accept to play the games on lesser grapics.

There is a reason that to this day people still either replace or upgrade their computer every few years since otherwise you will have a lesser gameplay experience this still is the case sadly.

Far less people have a an actual pc these days. replaced by mobile phones for allot of people so you need to buy everything from scratch unlike a tv.

A tv however is still something that pretty much everyone has so a couple hundred for a console far less expensive. Not to mention that you could use a pc screen to watch tv and that there are plenty of cheap tv's out there even some pretty new ones for only a couple 100. and were talking about cheap stuff if you read oldgamerz quote not high end stuff

Also while most pc's have more power than a consoles. A normal pc will use far more for other processes while using the rest for games wich is why pc's need to be far stronger to be able to play certain games wich a weaker console can play.. This problem does not occur with consoles way more space used to play games logical since it is a game console. also 5 year mid ranged pc's are still fairly expensive more expensive than a console If I would take my own pc for example. Still close to 800ish while it was 1200$ 5 years ago wich was an a bit above average pc at the time. excluding a screen wich are pretty much same price as a simular size tv screen to be fair.

Also keep in mind that dev kits at the time where superior than what common people could buy and that the dev kits where especially for those kinds of games. A pc needs to translate during gameplay at all times for a pc to be able to play the game at all since it wasn't originally for that system if where talking about more complicated cd based retro stuff.

Obviously snes nes etc is so ancient that a pc has no problems at all to read that but with disc based system you need a pretty solid pc.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:58:36 am by sworddude »