Author Topic: Have You Ever Bought PC Do It Yourself Kits  (Read 4770 times)

Have You Ever Bought PC Do It Yourself Kits
« on: April 17, 2019, 10:09:22 pm »
Sometimes when your shopping for a full new PC tower you can find a simple one for $80USD according to what both me and my sister saw online about 4 months ago.

How many PC gamers out there buy off brand PC Do it yourself kits? instead of brand name PC that will cost $400USD and more

My computer with all the parts probably cost my family $400USD but it is a semi-gaming/aka for older games. PC that was built by a relative of mine. and it Operating System came included in the package. but sometimes an OS will cost you over $100 alone if you don't get one with it

But I was actually serious that someone had a fairly decent spec PC with the pre built tower including windows OS and all the guts for $80USD new.

But today I checked the internet PC do it yourself kits are not showing up on google :(

We shop at Microcenter

https://www.microcenter.com/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:30:22 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Have You Ever Bought PC Do It Yourself Kits
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 10:32:29 pm »
You really aren't going to get much of a PC for 80 bucks, even off brand.  Like I've seen videos of people trying to do those under 100 dollar, chinese knock off brand systems, and they are not systems that would be considered legitimately functioning for doing anything even close to modern gaming.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 11:09:05 pm »
I built my last PC from scratch. I know enough about computers and what I wanted to do with it where I was able to piece it together. I used to work at a PC repair shop and we saw a lot of people bring in their diy PCs that they accidentally shorted out the MB, bent the CPU pins, or did something else where several parts or multiple parts had to be replaced. I don't recommend anyone just try and build their own unless they have a decent idea of what they're doing or unless they are willing to risk destroying their $300 i7 CPU by mistake. Getting a prebuilt machine is a much better option for these folks.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 11:15:03 pm »
You really aren't going to get much of a PC for 80 bucks, even off brand.  Like I've seen videos of people trying to do those under 100 dollar, chinese knock off brand systems, and they are not systems that would be considered legitimately functioning for doing anything even close to modern gaming.

Yes your right not at all with current modern gaming. But over my lifespan I've had luck with motherboard graphics, but better luck with a video card. In a lot of modern day PC integrated graphics sometimes work for a video game that is older.

According to a relative in my family he told me I don't need a video card because my old (video card)  is less powerful than my motherboard graphics my PC does not have a video card, but it has everything else

You need a video card for most modern video games, but I don't play any game 2014 and onward on my computer
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:52:53 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 11:18:21 pm »
I built my last PC from scratch. I know enough about computers and what I wanted to do with it where I was able to piece it together. I used to work at a PC repair shop and we saw a lot of people bring in their diy PCs that they accidentally shorted out the MB, bent the CPU pins, or did something else where several parts or multiple parts had to be replaced. I don't recommend anyone just try and build their own unless they have a decent idea of what they're doing or unless they are willing to risk destroying their $300 i7 CPU by mistake. Getting a prebuilt machine is a much better option for these folks.

I agree,

NO APPS NEEDED

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 10:11:50 am »
Never purchased a bare-bones kit, but I have always built my own computers. You can put together a decent system for quite a low price, since you can go used on just about everything. My current gaming computer I built I believe had a total initial cost of just under $500 (which included price of monitor) and that was a few years ago. I've since upgraded it over time and there really isn't any reason why it won't be able to handle anything that comes out in the forseeable future.

kypherion

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 02:34:45 pm »
No, I'll figure out what parts I want, order them with the best deals I can find, and put them together in a case.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 04:48:59 pm »
Never purchased a bare-bones kit, but I have always built my own computers. You can put together a decent system for quite a low price, since you can go used on just about everything. My current gaming computer I built I believe had a total initial cost of just under $500 (which included price of monitor) and that was a few years ago. I've since upgraded it over time and there really isn't any reason why it won't be able to handle anything that comes out in the forseeable future.

Sure but your also factoring in labor that way really depends how much you value your time so depending on that worth it or not also looking for 2nd hand parts can be time consuming but ofcourse mostly the skill and effort to get it up and running for a very small group I'd say.

obviously if your really good at it it might just take only 1 hour but for the less experienced people multiple hours or maybe breaking stuff in the process.

Also if I am not mistaken allot more maintenance is required overtime with these pc's build from scratch compared to pre build machines from what I have seen with friends.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:05:43 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 08:05:21 pm »
No, I'll figure out what parts I want, order them with the best deals I can find, and put them together in a case.

that was exactly how mine was built with a cheap motherboard, a case, a hard drive, a disc drive, a WIFI card and some decent amount of RAM. and 2 fans and power supply also

I installed a sound card myself, I agree that you need to know where everything goes inside the case to be successful at do it yourself kits.

the key word I guess for building would be. To be gentle and don't force or bend anything inside your computer

(edit) and don't forget an operating system like windows 10 for example without an operating system your PC would be worthless, it usually cost at least $150USD if you don't already get an OS with with your kit. or bare bones building one. and you will also need a monitor or a flat screen tv and speakers for sound

And a keyboard and mouse is required but they should be vary cheap to obtain new or even cheaper used
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 08:17:12 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 09:20:09 am »
Also if I am not mistaken allot more maintenance is required overtime with these pc's build from scratch compared to pre build machines from what I have seen with friends.

I don't think that is the case. Whatever your friends are doing, they probably would be doing it with a retail system as well.

But to your other point, yes I have some advantages when it comes to assembly and set up of a new computer. It may take me less than an hour to build and maybe about an hour for software.

The most time I put into my current system was getting the surround sound to work. The built-in Realtek audio did not work properly in 5.1, no matter what I tried. I resorted in putting an Audigy Gold into the system and used that instead. I had bought that sound card when I built my Windows XP computer.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 07:48:53 pm »
The most time I put into my current system was getting the surround sound to work. The built-in Realtek audio did not work properly in 5.1, no matter what I tried. I resorted in putting an Audigy Gold into the system and used that instead. I had bought that sound card when I built my Windows XP computer.

a multi-channel stereo  sound card with surround sound option is what I recommend. for better sound options. Even though most believe that motherboard audio is better but. It depends on how many channels a sound card has the ability to set. to be better then most modern day motherboard audio.

In other words if you listen to a lot of music or just want a more 3D sounding gaming experience buying or getting a sound card can be worth it.

But be warned their are a few sound cards that only support 2 channels of sound or mono. and I think that those sound cards a worthless in my opinion, if you already have a stereo sound chip on your motherboard.

Audigy Sound Blaster or Creative Sound Blaster cards/chips I had a great time owning them
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:52:59 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 07:52:11 pm »
I’ve always just built my own PC as well. Everything is plug and play these days. Sure beats all those IDE cables like the one I built in the mid 90’s.
My last one a few years back cost about $800 without the monitor, sound or video card.