Author Topic: If Were To Sell Your Video Games How Much Would You Charge Per Game  (Read 2429 times)

ferraroso

Re: If Were To Sell Your Video Games How Much Would You Charge Per Game
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 08:34:18 am »
I think it really depends on the country where I'd sell these games...

Most of my games and consoles were either bought in Japan or in Brazil and I see things that can be found for the equivalent to nickles in these countries being sold for a pretty good money on Ebay auctions.

Two examples:
(1) I didn't pay more than US$30.00 in any of my Tectoy exclusive Master System games in Brazil, but most of them often go for over US$100.00 on Ebay...
(2) I got my copy of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the Saturn (spine card included) for around US$50.00 two weeks ago, but I've never seen it being sold for less than US$140.00 in Western websites...

Flashback2012

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 08:43:21 am »
I don't own the actuall hardware, I added some them from my PS2 arcade  compilations. so sue me you have no reason to call me out on anything because I am not calling you out on anything

Oof. Okay my apologies on that. You weren't lying through your teeth, you just have an oddly peculiar way of listing what you have.  :o It's not something I would do and I might be wrong but I doubt anyone else on here does that either. I certainly can't stop you from listing whatever/however you want but surely you have to realize how weird it seems to list something you don't own physically when the items in question are physical. I own the SNK Arcade Classics V1 on PS2 like you apparently do but I list it as that since it's what I physically own. I could certainly understand if they were digital versions such as PSN/XBOX Live or Steam.

I wanted to see how many games I really had but I no longer add compilation disc to my collection.

Okay so I KINDA get what you're trying to say even though it strikes me as weird. It's not so much an apples/oranges thing but more like apples/potatoes. To me, regardless of how many titles they pack on the disc, it's just ONE item to me. You're counting per game, not per item. In regards to the nature of the thread's title, that doesn't help you at all because even though you're listing them all as separate games, you still only have the one item. That's part of where some confusion arose because not knowing prior hand that you listed per game instead of per item, it appeared you had more than you actually do.  :P

So to prove I am not a troll If you want those games for cheap I highly recommend you pick out those various PS2 compilation while most of them are under $20 a piece
(edit) keep notice the "Taito Legends 1" and Intellivision Lives" are both Blue PS2 games some PlayStation 2's  don't  read the Blue Coated shiny side discs.
but you can also buy the OG Xbox or PC version of Taito Legends 1

https://www.retrogamerrandomness.com/2016/09/game-compilations-for-ps2.html

You're preaching to the choir about compilation discs and compilation "Classic" hardware like the NES/SNES Classic and Neo Geo Mini. I'm pretty sure I have every iteration of Namco Museum aside from the Encore ones that came out in Japan. Waiting on price drops to get the latest Sega one on PS4 and SNK one on Switch. About the only compilation brand I don't chase after is Intellivision only because growing up I was more of a fan of the Colecovision and considered the Intellivision inferior to it (mostly due to my disdain for how the controllers looked with that dial).   :P

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 10:43:00 am »
I don't own any rare games

Let's amend that to, 'I don't THINK I own any rare games'. I see all stuff about listing titles from your PS2 compilations separately- but if any of your 3 master system games are real copies, then yeah- you've got rare stuff.

I remember years & years ago, I bought a Genesis game at a thrift store for $2 based on the title & the sword on the cart art. Got it home, played it- turned out to be the this Zelda-style RPG. I was very excited, I had no Genesis RPGs & I was really into them at the time.

Fast-forward to about 2 years ago, and I'm watching a video on overly expensive rare games. The guy pulls out my thrift store game, and proceeds to talk about how Crusader of Centy was a super late Genesis release & is worth a couple hundred bucks. My jaw hit the floor- I had no idea. Game prices change all the time, you might find you've got something that's gone up quite a bit since you bought it.

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 01:15:23 pm »
In other words I don't really know because first off I didn't contribute toward any development of any of my games so what gives me the God given right to make a small fortune off the hard work of someone else.  But that is just my religion I am sorry and I am not trying to make anyone feel bad :-[
That’s not really how the secondary market works, though.  Aside from *maybe* the currently produced modern games you aren’t preventing the developers from making money.  If a game is on the secondary market that means it has already been purchased through retail and the publishers and developers have already made their money.

Look at it this way: If you bought a house 10 years ago, and now you have to move, you would want to sell your house, and if it had actually increased in value - would that stop you from selling?  You didn’t build the house, so according to your stance you should sell it for what you originally paid - otherwise you are taking money from the “developers” who built it.

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 09:10:32 am »
In other words I don't really know because first off I didn't contribute toward any development of any of my games so what gives me the God given right to make a small fortune off the hard work of someone else.  But that is just my religion I am sorry and I am not trying to make anyone feel bad :-[
That’s not really how the secondary market works, though.  Aside from *maybe* the currently produced modern games you aren’t preventing the developers from making money.  If a game is on the secondary market that means it has already been purchased through retail and the publishers and developers have already made their money.

Look at it this way: If you bought a house 10 years ago, and now you have to move, you would want to sell your house, and if it had actually increased in value - would that stop you from selling?  You didn’t build the house, so according to your stance you should sell it for what you originally paid - otherwise you are taking money from the “developers” who built it.

To add to this: who does get to profit from a game, then? The guy who was paid to program it, the guy who was paid to make the board, the guy who was paid to assemble the cart, the game store that bought & sold the game when it was new, the owner who never sold it till years later despite likely not even using it, or the secondhand picker who dug through the stacks, found it, and cleaned it up for resale? Our modern commerce system is so convoluted it's hard to pick out who's the person who 'made something' anymore. Plus, I personally think object value is one of the ways God (or your higher power of choice) helps those in need. Like the family who fell on hard times & was facing foreclosure on their home, that had been in the family for generations. While packing up to leave, they found a box of old comic books... which included Action Comics #1. They didn't have to move after all. (Here's a link! https://abcnews.go.com/Business/superman-comic-saves-familys-home/story?id=11306997

Don't undersell something out of an obligation to be 'fair' to the original creator- you'll likely just end up selling to someone who will flip for profit. (And in the case of things with clear creators, like paintings, you hurt said creator in the long run by de-valuing their work & making it harder for them to sell new pieces at a higher price.)

pzeke

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2019, 07:54:22 pm »
Depending on the game, of course; I’ll search for whatever game I’m trying to sell and check the listings that sold most recently and go from there. Games worth less than $5 I don’t bother listing separately, so I’ll make a lot with a set amount and price it accordingly.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!