Author Topic: Your Most Reliable Gaming Devices  (Read 2582 times)

Your Most Reliable Gaming Devices
« on: April 27, 2019, 11:56:53 am »
My first console gift was a PlayStation 1 and it lasted a vary long time. My first at home console was a beat up used GameCube It would sometimes get hot and freeze in summer because I didn't live in an air conditioned or cool room back then

Nintendo I can say that in my experience their older products like their "Nintendo 64, NES and SNES" seems like it is vary tough and hardy. It's game cartridges are hard to break as long as the game and console slot is clean. it usually works right away, the only real problem with the Nintendo 64 is the joystick on non Nintendo brand controllers.

I don't ever hear bad technological  stories about the Wii either, and many many people like the new Nintendo Switch :)

My PlayStation 3 super slim 250gig model was bought used and only needed repairs once, I haven't used my retron 2 or Xbox360 or Wii enough to judge it.

I don't want to keep this post long.

so what are some of you most reliable gaming devices in your experience?

Sega Genesis is good too
Sega Saturn was good to have while it lasted
Never Had A Sega Dreamcast

PlayStation 2 Slims sometimes would scratch the disc because they would not stop spinning even as in off mode but in attempt to grab the disc I would loop scratch the discs :(
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:08:14 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

aliensstudios

Re: Your Most Reliable Gaming Devices
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 12:14:19 pm »
Relatively every system I have has been dependable, even with extensive use overall. I still have the GameCube I received brand-new for Christmas in 2003 and I still have my original Wii from 2006 and it's still chugging along as well. I've used my PS2 slim extensively since I bought it new in 2010 and have had basically 0 issues, and my Wii U and Switch are functioning perfectly as of now. My SNES, N64, Genesis, Saturn, DreamCast all work every time I want to play something, and my more modern systems like my model 2 PS3 and my PS4 slim work as intended. The only system I own that is out of commission is my Xbox, which I'm guessing needs a new clock cap and some other repairs, it's hard to say as I find the system fairly unnecessary to collect for at this time. I know my NES could use a new 72 pin connector as well (I want to get a blinking light win) but since I own the AVS I haven't really played on my actual NES in a good while.

For handhelds, my PSP still works, my GBA system died long ago and my original DS still works but the hinges broke off. My 3DS works well enough still, but I do wish the battery life was better on it.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 12:22:17 pm »
I'd say most of my stuff has been very sturdy however, I burnt out three GameCubes (all new ones) before my fourth one finally survived. Also, broke 2 fatty DS hinges off. Everything else is pretty pristine though. Even notoriously easily broken things like my Wii U Gamepad and Joy-cons.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 04:18:34 pm »
My original N64 is still kicking since 1996.

My GF has her original Gameboy Color from 1999 and it still works great.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 05:07:26 pm »
I'm one of those Dads that constantly tells his kids how much better quality things were back in my day.  Except for capacitors from the 90's.  The number of working Game Gears drops radically every year due to capacitors failing.  Ive had to replace a few CD lasers and/or motors in some Sega CD model 2 and some Fat PS2 models.  Other than the 72pin connector in the NES toaster Nintendo's record is pretty good.  I have had to replace several Nintendo DS hinges and that's a HUGE pain.   I know I'm off track talking about the most unreliable but let me steer a bit further and bring up controllers...

One son of mine has a Xbox One controller less than a year old and the right analog stick drifts up.  Later that same week I'm playing Cuphead for the first time with my other son on his switch and his analog sticks drifts up too.  I get this a persistent issue since the days of the PS1 analog controller (I know they weren't the first, but it was first I had fail on me) but these modern controllers aren't cheap!  Then I look at these 35 year old controllers with crazy mileage on their odometers and still trucking without issue. 

I work in the automotive service industry and I tell my customers that nothing is immune to entropy.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 05:38:03 pm »
I still have my original nes,snes,genesis,saturn,n64,ps1,ps2,xbox,dreamcast,sega cd,32x,game boy,game boy pocket,game boy mini,game boy color, game gear,gba,ds light,ds,3ds and gamecube.So these would be my most reliable.My failed systems were two ps3's,psp and two xbox 360's
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:41:46 pm by wartoy »

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 06:31:48 pm »
My original Game Boy Advance that I got for Christmas I think in 2001 is still with me. It's in rough shape since I used to take it everywhere and as a kid I wasn't as careful. It still works though, never had a problem.

I never had a problem when I owned an original PlayStation or a slim PS2.

I have had problems with a Nintendo 3DS XL which shattered both screens the very first time it ever dropped (slipped out of my pocket) and the Joy-Con on Switch drifting. DualShock 4 that was bundled with my early 2014 PS4 has a bad R2 button.

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 09:43:21 am »
My cobalt blue DS Lite. It has survived 12 years of being played alot, and is my main system for GBA games and Pokemon Gen 4.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 10:22:59 am »
As a general rule, Nintendo stuff seems to hold up best. I'm lucky in that, so far, I haven't had any serious console failures (knock all the wood), but I've had a few issues here & there. I may be up against my first serious failure though- my OG Xbox is showing signs of trace corrosion, so I need to find a repair guy ASAP before it's too late.

Anybody know anyone, by chance?

telly

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 02:28:39 pm »
I think in general disc based consoles are more prone to breaking since they have more moving parts. I haven't had a single console fail on me, except my PS3. Which I recently just brought back from the dead >:) It just needed a replacement laser deck.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 03:31:51 pm »
For cart based, Turbo Grafx and Super Nintendo seam to be the most reliable. Both power buttons on these were actual switches and the reset button on the TG-16 was a controller function. I never had to clean the contacts on the systems or carts to keep them working properly.
For the disc based systems, I haven’t had any issues with my GameCube, Xbox, XBox One or PS4. The XB1 and PS4 are still pretty new though.

NES- replaced pin connector, games freeze or don’t boot up
Genesis- power button, controller ports and head phone jack failed
Jaguar- cartridge connection failed
PS1- disc drive failed
PS2- disc drive failed
Xbox 360- RROD (launch and elite)
PS3- YLOD with disc stuck inside

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 07:52:45 pm »
I think in general disc based consoles are more prone to breaking since they have more moving parts. I haven't had a single console fail on me, except my PS3. Which I recently just brought back from the dead >:) It just needed a replacement laser deck.

Mine almost needed that repair when I took it in, but first I discovered a little switch that broke off, by breaking it off I think with my fat fingers. I realized that on the PS3 super slim their is a little switch under the front cover on the PS3 super slims that controls the entire laser deck. and it is suppose cause the PS3's laser deck to spin when the sliding door is closed.

This little piece I told the repair man was all I needed, so that is all the repair man did besides clean the system for free and my PS3 super slim still works to this day

It was a vary hard part to replace
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 07:55:25 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 08:36:33 pm »
My Slim PS2 SCPH-79001, I've used it extensively since 2007, very often while it was super cold and wet after constantly being outside (I live in Canada) while moving it in my backpack to school every week when I was a kid, but despite this it never ever broke, it reads every discs, including CDs and double-layer DVDs just fine. It's been dropped, frozen, heated, wet, it even survived a hurricane in 2014 (when I was in a trip, worst place worst moment). I never opened it, and as I said, I've used it (and still use it) extensively, like 24 hours without stop.

I also have a korean FAT PS2 and this one is starting to die. The disc tray opens super slow and it automatically closes itself when it reaches 3/4 of its open distance. It only boots up discs if the disc is already inserted at the console boot-up and even there it doesn't always work. I have lots of other PS2s but I almost never used them so I don't really have anything to say about them.

I have 2 PSPs 3000 (both Assassin's Creed Limited Edition) and the first one has a super noisy UMD drive that sort of reels and clicks intensely for a good 15 seconds every time I boot up the system, but after that it's still able to read UMDs. That problem started appearing when the console was about 3-4 years old. My other PSP runs fine, but literally 1 month after getting it I noticed a small crack on the screen and over time that crack made it's way to the entirety of the screen and now I can't see nothing on it because it messes up the display and makes a sort of red leak all over the image.

I have 2 PS1, the first one is a SCPH-5501 that I got used of course and the lens is very fatigued, it makes grinding noises all the time and it's really difficult to make it boot some games, but it was already like this when I acquired it. But my other PS1 instead is an original SCPH-1001 and the console is ULTRA clean and the CD drive works so well I've never ever had problems with it and even never experienced FMV skipping on this one. Yes, it's an actual pristine condition 100% working SCPH-1001.

My 3 PS3s (Slim 3000, jailbroken Slim 2500 and FAT K model) all work flawlessly, none of the Blu-ray drives have shown any sign of fatigue over the years but that's harder to know for sure for my jailbroken one as I only used a blu-ray disc a few times on this one. But my friend's PS3 Slim 3000 blu-ray drive just broke last week and his console was newer than mine. But it's ok I gave him my 4th PS3 and used his old console to put my cousin's jailbroken PS3 2500 motherboard in his 3000 case to create some sort of frankenstein PS3 that shares both 2500 parts and 3000 parts. It was pretty fun.

Nothing to say about my Xbox, Xbox 360 S and Nintendo 64. They work fine but not to the point where I have used them extensively.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

ferraroso

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 09:39:14 pm »
As far as I know, my Tectoy Master System III Compact (the equivalent to the Master System II in other parts of the world) has been working without the need for any repairs since December 1992. However, since it now belongs to a cousin, I cannot confirm this information with 100% certainty.

As for the things that have been with me uninterruptedly, my Tectoy Pense Bem (a kind of a computer for kids based on the VTech Smart Start from Hong Kong) has been around and working without any maintenance since March 1993.

BinaryMessiah

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 02:18:29 am »
Everything I own is reliable. It's newer system that tend not to be. My Xbox 360 died twice on me back when they first came out and I just had a slim PS2 not make it in a move. I had a fat PS2 die on me as a kid as it stopped reading discs. Everything else works perfectly fine and has for years and years. As long as you keep the dust out and handle them with care they will last as long as you want.