Author Topic: What 10 games would you show to someone who had never played video games before?  (Read 2594 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

If “show” meant they watch while I play and try to convince them to give it a try...

Detroit: Become Human
Shadow of the Colossus Reremastered
Horizon Zero Dawn
Double Dragon Neon
Any Karaoke title
Wii Play
Tiger Woods the Masters on Wii
Trauma Center New Blood Wii
Risk Factions
Late Shift

Idea being these games can be fun experiences to watch.

I was always bored watching other people play shooters, platformers, etc. but I can get into a good story or social experience even if I’m not driving it.

wolfen

I feel like people mentioning old games like the original Super Mario Bros. are seeing through nostalgia goggles. A lot of those older games are pretty difficult to get anyone into, let alone a non gaming person, mostly because their mechanics haven't aged well or they were made specifically too difficult so you spent more time on them. The only games my family have ever been interested in watching me play were games with great stories or visually beautiful/colorful games, and the only games I ever saw my parents play were Wii sports and Mario Kart. So you want something simple and pretty, but fun and possibly something with a good story.

Horizon Zero Dawn: It's a beautiful game with a fantastic story plus it has a specific mode that lets you focus more on the story than combat.

Yoshi's Whooly World: A very colorful, cute, fun game which is very easy to play. Dying doesn't really matter and if it's too hard there is an easy mode as well.

Zelda Breath of the Wild: For some odd reason non gamers seem to really love this game even though it can get pretty difficult. It could be the absolute freedom to do whatever you want whenever you want or the fact that it's kind of just a sandbox game with a story slapped onto it.

Mario Kart Wii/Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Like I mentioned before, very easy to drop into and just play and have fun. Even if you get your ass kicked you have items to help with your skill gap.

Wii Play/Sports/Resort: Another thing I've noticed is that older people love playing games with motion controls rather than through a standard controller. Easy to get into and little to no buttons to learn.

Super Smash Bros: Any Smash Bros game is gonna be a fun time with both children and adults. Preferably the newest version because they're generally the easiest to play.

Mario Party: Another series that everyone can have fun with regardless of age or skill. Obviously there is some strategy with Mario Party but the luck/chaos involved is what makes it easy for newbies to get into.

The Last Guardian: This one could either be watched or played depending on the person. It has an incredibly emotional and unique story that is easy to keep up with and the gameplay is not very intense as it's mostly just you going through puzzles with a big dog bird thing, plus the visuals are incredibly stunning.

Tetris: This game is one of the most universally known games ever and if you don't know about it, it's so easy to get into. It's like the blocks that kids put together when in preschool or LEGO. No brainer ezpz for anyone.

That's all I can think of.

Red Dead Redemption
The Sims 2
Donkey Kong Country 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Hitman (Next Gen)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Heavy Rain
Jet Set Radio
Uncharted 4
Mass Effect

pzeke

Normally I would recommend games based on individual tastes, but throwing that aside for argument’s sake, and the topic, I’m going to assume the person I’m recommending games only has a PS2, therefore he/she is limited only to PS2 and PS1 games, as well as has a PC for the sake of emulation. In that scenario, I would try to keep it simple and recommend games I’ve played myself that aren’t overly complicated, but can in turn potentially open the floodgates for that person to go out and seek out more games to play.

I would recommend:

• Kirby's Adventure
• Super Mario World
• StarFox (SNES)
• Mega Man X
• Pokémon Yellow Version
• Twisted Metal 2
• Metal Gear Solid
• Ico / Shadow of the Colossus
• Capcom Classics Collection
• Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

The first game I listed was actually Tetris, but I personally would rather prefer a novice have a far more interactive and dynamic gaming experience, they can easily pick up a puzzle game at a later time; I feel most people have experienced puzzlers one way or another in their life, anyway. Overall, I believe these games are a good balance for a newcomer, especially with the diversity that Capcom Classics Collection offers. I actually chose Volume 2 instead, but decided against it; and was initially going to include Taito Legends 2 in the list, but one compilation title is enough, plus I feel Capcom Classics Collection is a bit more cohesive (if I’m even making sense by saying that). And yes, I reckon I’m kind of cheating by choosing a compilation game, but it has some truly worthwhile titles that I’m sure a newcomer would greatly enjoy. I also know I’m cheating by bundling Ico and Shadow of the Colossus together, but anyone that has played both knows where I’m going with that. In a way, you can’t have one without the other, and I’m sure a newbie will enjoy the experience of playing both, one after the other. I would’ve included Katamari Damacy and Ōkami in the list, as I feel they both would be a nice choice for a beginner, but I’ve yet to play them to feel comfortable enough to recommend them. I also think Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot are strong choices, but I already selected various platformers. Lastly, I refrained from including strenuous RPGs since I believe it would be better for a person experiencing video games for the very first time to be introduced to the genre as gingerly as possible, thus why I chose Pokémon Yellow.

And that's it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 04:31:40 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!