Author Topic: Going For Quantity Or Quality In Games  (Read 5016 times)

Re: Going For Quantity Or Quality In Games
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 04:48:27 pm »
Quantity... but I'm trying to right that by getting rid of games.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 09:31:18 pm »
For me its both im always looking for a good deal I find lots of games I'll give a shot at a $5.00 price tag mostly wii,ps2,ps1,xbox,xbox 360,ps3 I can find games at that price for these systems all the time.I've bought many games for 5 or less that now cost 20,30,or more if you only go after more expensive games your limiting yourself.Sometimes you can find really good games for cheep that aren't sought after yet. For example I bought Mary Skelter for the vita for 8 dollars a couple month's back now it going for about 70 dollars. Some time games stay cheep and abundant for years then become popular and rise in value. Better to get it for cheep and as long as it's a good game I get my money's worth either way. Now some games im probably never going to find cheep these games I've missed my opportunity to aquire without dropping some coin so you either put up or pass up these I won't aquire as often.

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 05:51:32 am »
I'm, pretty sure people also pick cheap games if they are good these days.

Look at ps3 xbox 360 for example almost the whole library is cheap and people love to collect for it above other systems simply because it is cheap.

Personally I don't ignore cheap games plenty of good ones such as tom & jerry war of whiskers jak & daxter, ratchet and clank etc etc

Not to mention personally I picked up titles such as tengai samurai western kingsley's adventure and countless more when they where dirt cheap couple $ simply because the gameplay was excellent. Everyone ignored them never tried them out. It's always a blast when you stumble on gold when you don't expect it.

them cheap hidden gems getting fewer by the day at least for the older systems, I could see ps3 ps4 having allot more hidden gems in the future since those lrg or super rare games tanking in price being available for other people aswell since demand is lower or massive reprints.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:54:42 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 11:24:57 am »
Quantity... but I'm trying to right that by getting rid of games.

Ditto

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 02:47:20 pm »
Mine switches depending on where I am with the collection. Last year I was closing in on 5000 games so I was buying for quantity as I wanted to hit 5000 by Xmas. Once I hit that # I immediately flipped back to quality and have been focusing on NES/SNES boxes, TG16 games(CIC) and a few major items I feel I should have already owned(Sonic Adventure 2 on DC, Contra III SNES and Final Fantasy on NES being some of my first post 5000 purchases). I'm probably going to continue to focus on boxes for loose games and adding more non-sports NES/SNES and Sega items until I get close to 7500, then I'm sure it'll be a quick transition into grabbing everything I don't own already mode.

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 05:36:29 pm »
A little of both for me. I still mainly shop at brick and mortar stores. It’s rare for me to keep track of new release dates these days, or even look at game reviews.
I’ve been purchasing stuff old school lately. I look at the back of the package and decide if it’s good LOL.
Some say collecting is glorified hoarding. If you enjoy collecting and you’re not sacrificing living a normal lifestyle, go for it.

tripredacus

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 09:40:17 am »
It took me some time but I had gotten myself to stop buying games for systems that I do not care about and would never play. I still have some of those in my collection, but basically I ended up having to slim down what I end up going for. This doesn't work out as well as you'd expect, since I still will buy PC games, or just software in general. A sucker for anything with a Microsoft logo on it.

But I do not extend that to Xbox or Xbox 360. When I had started to collect games, I would just get everything. Since I don't allot any space beyond 1 room, my collection can only be limited by that one room. The exception is Transformers related games, which are kept in a different room, and I would get games from that series even for consoles I do not own or would never play.

Warmsignal

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 10:03:57 am »
Have to say it was always a little of both for me. I always focused on quality, but I wanted there to be lots of it because of the collector in me. So I would research the heck out of different console libraries and find every title that seemed worthwhile to have. In retrospect, I over did it.

pzeke

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 08:51:36 pm »
I think I've answered this elsewhere, but quality over quantity always, no question about it.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2020, 08:58:56 pm »
To be honest I guess, I'm still more of a quantity person more than quality,  and I have not been disappointed. for example I'd rather pay $50 USD for an official NES Classic Mini with 30 classic games with an added bonus of save states for saving your progress. then try to obtain all those older games individually, because I save space, saved money and it's a win win for me.

I don't buy games that are for a younger audience, for example I'm a Nintendo 64 collector but I will not be getting something like "Elmo's Number Adventure" or Elmo's Letter Adventure.

Another example Most 2D and 3D platform video game. are often pricey and devilishly difficulty to play, I would never buy an original Mega Man game for the NES yet I bought both "Mega Man Anniversary Collection PS2"
(10 games in 1) and Mega Man X  (7 games in 1)collection on PS2.

and since I got the re-released PS2 versions, of all the NES  and SNES Mega Man games I can save my progress, and both turn down or raise the difficulty. and one of the games comes with an added bonus of 2 Mega Man games only released in Japan on the disc. on one of them
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:01:50 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2020, 09:11:13 pm »
To be honest I guess, I'm still more of a quantity person more than quality,  and I have not been disappointed. for example I'd rather pay $50 USD for an official NES Classic Mini with 30 classic games with an added bonus of save states for saving your progress. then try to obtain all those older games individually, because I save space, saved money and it's a win win for me.

To be fair if where talking nes mini

They picked the most popular overall considered best games on the system

You don't really get any filler all games are quality there so your not really going for quantity there.

these aren't 128 in 1 carts with tons of trash on them, all games are considered good some of the more popular titles at the time picked based on popularity.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2020, 11:48:06 am »

To be fair if where talking nes mini

They picked the most popular overall considered best games on the system

You don't really get any filler all games are quality there so your not really going for quantity there.

these aren't 128 in 1 carts with tons of trash on them, all games are considered good some of the more popular titles at the time picked based on popularity.

To be honest with everyone, I also own one 500 in 1 cartridge, and another console with 860 games on it, and they are vary responsive and playable games, I only bought them because they were cheap, I also own most of the official mini consoles as well.

All the games on both the 500 in 1 and 860 built in are fun 8-bit games.

I do agree that a some of these multi carts and consoles do have unplayable trash on them. or break easy. I have 1 as a gift and it does not even play any of the games without crashing, an old friend had another one that broke entirely after barley any usage.

and there are also some official video games that are trash as well. I would defiantly not want to play Superman 64 for the Nintendo 64 unless it was not the same.

But If you get some of these online i would read the reviews first. then make your decision. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 11:56:47 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 03:44:45 pm »
For me, it's a bit of both.
You wouldn't see me pick up sports games but I'm really after a lot of obscure whacky ps2 games only localised for Europe.
They are quality-wise not the best but they are fun for a quick 30-minute play.
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

byron

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2020, 03:52:32 pm »
I don't want to own a bunch of crap I'll never play. I think you're wasting your time and money if you go out and buy any game you can get your hands on just because it's a game. At that level, you might as well be collecting Funko Pops (no offense to those who do) because if the game itself doesn't matter, it's just a hunk of plastic to you.

Still... I have to admit that a shelf with 500 cartridges or boxes on it is an enviably nice thing to have...

I will not be getting something like "Elmo's Number Adventure" or Elmo's Letter Adventure.

Don't sell yourself short. Elmo's Letter Adventure is a pretty solid game. I mean, I see where the criticisms come from. The skill tree is a little confusing and the crafting system is total trash. And it does alienate hard core fans of the show by retconning canon (their whole characterization of Baby Bear is just off) But, for those who don't mind a little bit of grind, it has a really good storyline. Elmo's adventure isn't just about letters. It becomes clear early on that there is so much more going on. The theme of redemption is pervasive, particularly in Big Bird's phoenix-like rebirth in the third act. I won't be giving away any major spoilers, since you see it coming for a while, when I say that Grover's death is one of the most profound and moving moments in a video game. I don't know anyone who didn't cry.

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2020, 04:40:18 pm »
Another rule I follow is I don't try to pick up the same exact game more than once unless the one I have is somehow defective. However sometimes games with the same title are different games entirely on another device or console

Especially a handheld version like The Sims 2 Pets, for GameBoy Advance, that game is nothing like either the PC or the PlayStation 2 version, I don't have the GBA one anymore, it was not as good in my opinion.

(I know I said this a lot on here)
One example is The Tiger Woods Series for PS2 and PS3.   The 2007-2010 on PlayStation 2 is entirely different and even has some different golf courses and graphics than the 2007-2010 releases on the PlayStation 3 I got both because I love that series.

The story goes one day I bought Tiger Woods PGA tour 2002 for $2-3 USD, went home and played it than I was hooked than I eventually bought out the rest of them I could find at the same exact store. I bought one of each
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:43:51 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED