Author Topic: Nostalgic games  (Read 2679 times)

Nostalgic games
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:17:47 am »
Something I got asked by a co-worker recently: "what games are you nostalgic for?" It's an interesting question- doesn't matter if the game is new, old, good or bad- what conjures up the warm fuzzies of the past?

For me, Sonic the Hedgehog usually does it, being our first Genesis game & one of the very first games I really got into. A lot of my childhood Genesis library stirs the ol' memories up- Lightening Force, Cyborg Justice, even filler trash like Clue & Art Alive. Some of the early NES stuff can get to me too- Super Mario Bros of course, but also Tetris & memories of my mom wiping the floor with us, my brother & sister trading off bosses in Wizards & Warriors, waking up early on a Saturday & catching a bad guy for the first time in Carmen Sandiego, but no one was around so I couldn't prove it... not as much, but it's there.

Once the disc based games kick in, the nostalgia fades... I was in high school during the PS1 era & starting to collect, so it feels less like nostalgia & more like the beginning of my current gaming phase (at least right now.) I do, however, get a sort-of nostalgia for my Saturn... which is interesting becuase I only got one a couple years ago. I wanted one so badly when I was 12 and never got it, so turning it on and hearing those startup noises is always like a little victory for my inner child.

kashell

Re: Nostalgic games
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 10:31:02 am »
Breath of Fire III - the first game I got for the PlayStation. It was so neat hearing characters with voices and talking about it with a close friend who was also an RP-Gamer. We'd talk about other games in the genre, but it was Breath of Fire III that really brought us close.

Valkyrie Profile - a game that I played with my brother all the time. We compared and contrasted different characters, party set ups, and ways to get the A ending. Eventually, he got the strategy guide so we were able to get the A ending without much hassle. Speaking of family...

Smash 64 through Brawl - the series we grew up playing together. AMAZING memories of rushing home from school and getting in a few rounds before it was time for homework.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 10:39:07 am »
I have too many, what I find interesting though is because my older relatives(parents, uncles) played games I have a lot more consoles tangled up in my childhood memories compared to other's my age (24) that I've been friends, from the snes up to the gamecube/ps2. I had Sony and Nintendo, but I've never had a Sega. It's on my bucket-list, but I probably won't bother until I'm fairly good with Japanese since I'm mostly interested in exclusives. I also didn't really get into the Xbox.

A couple noteworthy ones I guess?

I played Earthbound when it came out digitally for the Wii U and I get so freaking nostalgic for that game already! It was just the best adventure.

I have mild motion-sound synesthesia and a bunch of my sounds are from playing too much Harvest Moon FoMT. I played that game morning to night some days. Still love to pick it up from time to time.

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 11:41:30 am »
I'm 24 and recently I started feeling nostalgic for the Wii and GameCube days, even though it doesn't feel like that long ago.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

mark1982

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 12:40:23 pm »
Definitely NES and early MegaDrive days make me get that nostalgic feeling, thinking back on my childhood, friends and the games we played most of the time, also hanging out with my brother.

Probably the top 3 games that I hold dear to me and I'm most nostalgic for are:

Castlevania

Rygar

Metroid

Even as I post this, all those feels start coming back, it's great ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:48:53 pm by mark1982 »
  l    l 

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 01:49:25 pm »
The games that give me that feeling are from my elementary school days. These were the days that all I could think about were games. No girlfriend, no job, no bills, didn’t care what kind of clothes I wore, didn’t care if my hair was combed...only cared about the games.
When I see an old game in movies, it truly brings a smile. Frog Bog in Grandmas Boy immediately comes to mind.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 02:35:21 pm »
I'm 24 and recently I started feeling nostalgic for the Wii and GameCube days, even though it doesn't feel like that long ago.

It's funny you mention feeling nostalgic for the Wii. I was at one of my local Gamestops earlier this week and two girls in their early 20s came in and were buying a bunch of AAA Wii titles. The cashier was talking to them and what happened is one of the girls found her old Wii in her parent's basement after she had come home from college for the summer. She got a huge nostalgic itch and wanted to play a bunch of games she played as a kid on it. I certainly don't think you or her are part of a huge movement of Wii collectors at the moment, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Wii goes through a similar boost in collectibility like just about every other Nintendo console before it. What really blows my mind is that I was 19 when the Wii came out, and that people your age and that girl's age were elementary school aged during that time. I guess it's no different than people who were in their late teens and early 20s when I was a 9-year old kid playing the N64 when that came out lol

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 02:48:44 pm »
There are so, so many games that make me feel nostalgic! While not every game on the system makes me feel sentimental, I'd say 75% of both the Dreamcast and N64 make me feel ultra nostalgic. The standouts for this system that hit me super hard in the nostalgia feels are Super Mario 64, Powerstone, Wave Race 64, Pilotwings 64, Cruisn' USA and World, Sonic Adventure, House of the Dead 2, and Ocarina of Time. I adore these systems and always have, hence why they are my 1st and 3rd favorite consoles of all time respectively.

There are also a lot of games for the Genesis like Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, and Jurassic Park that make me very sentimental. I have a lot of nostalgia for the PS2 as well, particularly Gran Turismo 3, GTA3, DDRMAX, and Tekken Tag Tournament. Finally there are many arcade games that came out during the 90s that hit me hard in the feels. Anything from early 90s tournament fighters to late 90s Sega rail shooters remind me of the better times :)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 09:17:08 am »
Lots of nostalgia for games like zelda,punch-out and pro wrestling for the nes.My freinds and i would stay up all night drinking and take turns playing pro wrestling trying to take down whoever held the belt.We also turned duck hunt into a drinking game good times.Then super mairo world,super metroid and zelda for the snes lots of nostalgia for those great games.The sega genesis also holds alot of great memories for me games like shinning force 1,2 and phantasy star II,III,IV and many more.

ferraroso

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 07:03:01 pm »
The Master System has the most nostalgic library for me. From Mônica no Castelo do Dragão and Turma da Mônica em O Resgate (the Brazilian versions of Wonder Boy In Monster Land and Wonder Boy III - The Dragon's Trap respectively) to my first RPG ever, Phantasy Star; from the game that has, the best after-credits message to the player, Enduro Racer to some of the worst games I've ever played such as The Flintstones and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, there are just so many memories related to the Master System for me.

But, if I had to choose only one game, it would easily be Alex Kidd in Miracle World! I remember writing the rock–scissors-paper sequence on the wall behind the living room's couch and how mad my mom got when she found it, or me and my dad arguing over who should play the second stage (the one you can ride the motorcycle). It is just a fun game that I used to play in a much simpler part of my life and one that I have sweetest and most fond memories of.

Long live Alex Kidd and the Sega Master System!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:14:30 pm by ferraroso »

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 07:09:38 pm »
I have most nostalgia for The Sims 1 for PC and the Sims 2. I been recently playing  The Sims 2 with expansions for PC. But also when I recently played through both story modes of "the Sims Life Stories" I got a great Nostalgic feel for the regular Sims 2 base game when It first came out in 2004 from the music in The Sims Life Stories

Sorry for the confusion in this post
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

dreama1

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 12:01:02 am »
I think some games can just have a nostalgic feeling to them even though you didn't play it when it came out.  Some games just snap you back to the era even if you didn't experience it first hand. Herzog zwei, phantasy star, gain ground. The N64 has some strong nostalgic appeal for some reason as well. Maybe its the cartridge format that makes it feel more nostalgic than the PS1 for me.

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 12:42:56 am »
Zero Tolerance, Truxton, Forgotten Worlds, Robocop VS The Terminator, Izzy's Quest For The Olympic Rings Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Movie all for genesis.

Final Fantasy VIII, Digimon Rumble Arena, Digimon World 1 2 and 3, Monster Rancher 1 and 2, Twisted Metal 3 and 4 for ps1.

Dragon Quest VIII, Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist Of The Roses, Final Fantasy X, Monster Rancher 3 Evo and 4 for ps2.

007 Agent Under Fire, 007 Nightfire, Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg for gamecube.

Maze and Frog Bog for 2600.

Power Stone, Power Stone 2, Mortal Kombat Gold, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 for dreamcast.

stealthrush

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 12:37:12 am »
The favorite games of my childhood;

Arcade: Die Hard Arcade, Top Skater, Power Stone, Bomber Man World, Virtual-On: Cyber Troopers, X-Men vs Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, World Heroes, Street Fighter II, The King of Fighters '97, Dance Dance Revolution, Last Bronx, Sega Ski Super G, Dead or Alive.

Computer: Dizzy, Rayman, Shogo, Starcraft, Warcraft III, The Journeyman Project, Worms Armageddon, Little Fighter 2, Graal.

NES: The Adventures of Lolo, Super Mario Bros. 3, Blaster Master, Mega Man 2, Little Nemo, Bubble Bobble, Little Ninja Brothers, Fester's Quest.

SNES: Mega Man 7, Kirby Dream Land 3, Killer Instinct, Metal Warriors, Chrono Trigger, Kirby Super Star.

Saturn: Die Hard Arcade, Guardian Heroes, Burning Rangers, NiGHTS into Dreams, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, Night Warriors.

Playstation: Poy Poy, Trap Gunner, Silhouette Mirage, Rakugaki Showtime, Galerians, Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22, Fox Kid's Micro Maniacs, Team Buddies, Destrega, Rival Schools, Team Buddies, Twisted Metal 2.

Dreamcast: Psychic Force 2012, Tech Romancer, Cannon Spike, Project Justice, Fur Fighters, Worms World Party, Power Stone 2, The King of Fighters 1999, Bangai-O!

telly

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 08:50:39 am »
I have a lot of nostalgia for all my old game boy color games that are no longer in my collection  :'(
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery