Author Topic: Your Top Ten Recommended Nintendo 64 Games (text)  (Read 2484 times)

Re: Your Top Ten Recommended Nintendo 64 Games (text)
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 10:18:44 am »
Right?  The 64 does not have a great library.  There are a few stand-out masterpieces, but as a whole it’s kind of bleh.  I was talking with someone about a potential N64 Classic and how it would be a huge disappointment, and they argued with me until I asked them to name 15-20 games they could put on it.

While I agree the N64 has a dismal game library, something worthwhile can still be put together that will undoubtedly put the PlayStation Classic to shame.

Yeah, I was being a tad hyperbolic, any 64 Classic would blow the PlayStation one out of the water - no small thanks to them choosing a pretty meh lineup  in general.

My 64 10 would probably be:

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Mario 64
3. Paper Mario
4. Mario Kart 64
5. Super Smash Bros.
6. GoldenEye (though it has aged particularly badly)
7. Resident Evil 2
8. F-Zero X
9. Pokémon Snap (still can’t believe we didn’t get a Wii U sequel)
10. StarFox 64

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 01:55:41 pm »
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario 64
3. Sin and Punishment
4. Banjo Kazooie
5. Goldeneye 007
6. Star Fox 64
7. Mariokart 64
8. Perfect Dark
9. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
10. Pokemon Snap

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 03:45:41 pm »
Probably my most played console (historically, but not at present). It was hot in middle school and high school and was in high demand basically until the Xbox, or Halo ousted Golden Eye. I feel like the N64, and by extension its games, can't be properly valued out of context. The N64 was a multiplayer console, and really the first one ever developed with this in mind. Some of the best games on the console and the ones with the fondest memories were the ones that were played with friends at sleep overs and parties. The rest were really just ground breaking 3D innovators.

My favorites, in no particular order:
Super Mario 64
DOOM 64
Mario Kart 64
Turok 1,2, and Rage Wars (my friend group really preferred this to Golden Eye; more violent and better weapons/characters)
Wayne Gretzkey's 3D Hockey (best hockey game, period...)
Gauntlet Legends (Probably one of my favorite co-op games of all time)
San Fransisco Rush
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Starfox 64
Worms Armaggedon (really wish I had kept my childhood copy...)

Runnerup special mentions: Mario Tennis (still the best Mario Tennis game IMO), Super Smash Bros., Starcraft 64, and Rampage World Tour (played the hell out of this game with friends)

sworddude

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 06:35:06 pm »
1- Goemons great adventure/ goemon 2
2 - starfox 64
3 - mario 64
4 - F zero x
5 - sin and punishment
6 - ocarina of time
7 - majora's mask
8 - paper mario
9 - smash bros
10- pokemon stadium 2

Konami had some quality castlevania games on ps1 with a 2d classic platfomer in chronicles and symphony of the night for metroidvania N64 castlevania was however very mediocre the beginning of an end for the castlevania series really with them ps2 games following the n64 footsteps of castlevania. at least the ds gave some metroidvania goodness back but that classic 2d experience was nowhere to be found after chronicles sadly unless where counting the shitty remake on psp in wich all honesty i only played it to unlock the original wich is way better. N64 really threw 2d out of the window. if only they accepted some 2d. Just look at ps1 it has tons of 2d. even a ton of their 3d games used 2d sprites in allot of cases. Nintendo lost capcom nintendo lost square what where they smoking really. discs cant be the only issue considering the lack of 2d at all. even gamecube era really barely any 2d stuff at all. and look at sony than with ps2 again ton of 2d stuff aswell. how many 2d fighters did gamecube get as a result? pretty much none. ps2? pretty much all 2d fighting games to name just one other example.

Konami's true mascot in N64 is goemon with a very nice mario 64 3d action game and part 2 being an excellent 2.5 D platformer not to mention with great music.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 07:04:51 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

ferraroso

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2020, 08:56:10 pm »
1- GoldenEye 007
2 - Star Wars Episode I: Racer
3 - F- Zero X
4 - Sin & Punishment
5 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6 - Neon Genesis Evangelion
7 - Resident Evil 2
8 - Mischief Makers
9 -  Yoshi's Story
10 - Turok: Dinosaur Hunter

I tired focusing more on exclusive games, but there are some like Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Star Wars Episode I: Racer that, although released on other platforms, for me represent the Nintendo 64 more than any other platform. And Resident Evil 2 is here because of how it impressed me back in 2000 seeing how they were able to squish the contents of two PlayStation CD-ROMs into a single cartridge (and also because I find it to be one of the greatest games of all time)!

astralsoul13

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 12:41:25 pm »
1. Super Mario 64
2. Conker's Bad Fur Day
3. Diddy Kong Racing
4. Banjo-Kazooie
5. Paper Mario
6. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7. Space Station: Silicon Valley
8. Wave Race 64
9. F-Zero X
10. Mischief Makers