Author Topic: So... What about Death Stranding?  (Read 4784 times)

ferraroso

So... What about Death Stranding?
« on: May 30, 2019, 11:16:31 am »
I first played the demo of Metal Gear Solid in the original PlayStation's Interactive Sampler Disc CD Vol. 8 back in 1998.
Since then, Metal Gear has become my favorite video game series ever and, to this day, Metal Gear Solid is still my favorite game (I try playing it from start to finish at least once a year) and I regard Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (and Subsistence) as being, hands-down, the greatest video game of all time, period.
After learning Japanese, I've played most of Kojima Hideo's games like Snatcher and Policenauts and I can easily say that he has been my favorite game designer for over 20 years now.

And now that we've had an awesome (and still very mysterious) trailer and we finally have a release date (I really wasn't expecting it to be released for this generation anymore) for his first game outside of Konami, Death Stranding, I was wondering what is everyone expectations regarding the master's next game.

As for me, I've already preordered the Collector's Edition (something that I very rarely do) and I'm looking forward to the 8th of November.

So, what are everyone's feelings towards Death Stranding?

The trailer:

https://youtu.be/sBaTJ8KntOM
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:32:53 am by ferraroso »

Re: So... What about Death Stranding?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 12:49:18 pm »
This might be an unpopular opinion (maybe not...), but it looks like the most ultra pretentious AAA game ever released. The information on the plot and what I've seen in the trailers looks weird for the sake of being weird. I feel like everything is secondary to an artistic vision that Kojima had in his head, and everything else was randomly shoehorned in. This is a clear case of putting the buggy before the horse and it rarely works out. Needless to say I have zero interest in this game and wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a major disappointment.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 02:06:28 pm »
For all the issues there were with Metal Gear Solid V (and there were many), it still remains one of the greatest games I've ever played and some of the most fun I've ever had with a game.  Until Kojima truly lets me down, I'm convinced that anything he releases will be at the very least, playable and I think Death Stranding will be good.  Even if the plot and story end up being a mess, and the MGS narratives have definitely had their share of problems, the gameplay has always been solid.  I guess we'll just have to see in November. 

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 02:17:09 pm »
I'm not a Kojima fanboy at all, though MGSV was great and I wish he was able to fully create the game he had in mind before Konami shut him down, but I'm into Death Stranding.  Not like full bore "OMG THIS GAME", mostly because I'm not 100% on the actual game part.  The story looks crazy and weird and I love that, but the gameplay seems to be a lot of just wandering and I'm wondering how they'll keep that engaging.  I don't mind that idea, but it's supposed to be open world to some degree, I'm assuming kinda like MGSV, so maybe more mission based within a large map, allowing freedom to tackle things how you want, but I don't know.

That's the only part I don't know for sure, but seeing that MGSV was one of my favorite games of that year, I'm expecting to be pretty into this game.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 03:20:01 pm »
This might be an unpopular opinion (maybe not...), but it looks like the most ultra pretentious AAA game ever released.
Not unpopular here.  I think Kojima may be the most overrated developer in gaming and that the MGS games are fine at best.  Their juxtaposition of humor and seriousness in groundbreaking, it’s annoying. 

That said, I do have some interest in Death Stranding and it is 97% due to the involvement of Mads Mikkelson.

afroyoshi

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 08:04:13 pm »
To me, I feel like the game's strongest moment would be just wondering around the world and stealthing around enemies. The combat to me just reminds me of Metal Gear Solid V (Which I thought the gunplay wasn't the best). So yeah, I'm very excited to see what this weird-ass game is all about.

Flashback2012

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 06:49:34 pm »
I haven't been paying any attention to the game at all.

As for Metal Gear, this is probably the best use of sounds/graphics from that game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUmtJdFA8Fc

azure

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 12:49:35 pm »
I've played and loved every title Kojima has headed, sans Boktai, and I am ultra-excited for this one too. I can see where a lot of people are coming from though, and I have my reservations until I actually experience the game myself as well. The kind of games he and his team end up making aren't for everyone, and I don't think DS will be any different.

argyle

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 03:43:11 am »
I think the announcement of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare a few days after this latest Death Stranding trailer dropped perfectly illustrates why the industry NEEDS more people like Kojima. Like his games or not, I don't see how you can't at least respect the creativity and originality he brings to the industry.

Personally, I'm very excited about DS even tho I've yet to play MGSV (something I need to correct soon). It looks like a merging of the best parts of MGS with the best parts of Silent Hill, and I'm all about that.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Warmsignal

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 02:11:01 pm »
All I know is that I really can't stand the name. For that reason alone I'll probably never look into it.

pzeke

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 08:10:49 am »
Peeing mechanics, my dudes! Number one is the weapeeon!

All jokes aside, I'm very interested in this game since its announcement. I'm not a Kojima nut, but regardless of how weird his ideas are, I almost always end up gravitating toward his stuff.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 07:28:37 am »
Very on the fence, it seems that a lot of the game is traversing through open-world & considering how I felt the open world nature of Metal Gear Solid V broke the game for me, I think I will have to give this a miss for the time being - I did enjoy Ground Zeroes as that mission/area was much more focused than the overbearing generic missions which weren't even plot related in the Phantom Pain, easily the biggest disappointment of this generation for me.

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 04:30:13 pm »
I loved MGSV, even with some of the issues it had, and I'm good with open world stuff, so I'm actually pretty hopeful for Death Stranding.