Author Topic: In your opinion whats the best system to collect for and why  (Read 3103 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

1.Original Xbox
2.Xbox 360 (favorite to collect for)
3.Wii
4.Ps3
In my area these systems are easy to find and cheep to collect for and have alot of good games.Great place to start for new collectors.

5.WiiU
6.Game Cube (favorite to collect for)
These are not as cheep but reasonable and harder to find.

7.Dream Cast (favorite to collect for)
8.N64
9.Ps2 (favorite to collect for)
10.Ps1
11.Snes (favorite to collect for)
12.Genesis (favorite to collect for)
These are not impossible to find but finding select titles are extremely difficult to find and expensive.

13.Master system
14.3do
15.Jaguar
Really hard to find but most of the library is still reasonably priced.

16.Nes (favorite to collect for)
17.TurboGrafx 16
18.Saturn (favorite to collect for)
What the hell this stuff will drive you crazy to collect for and drain your wallet.

19.Neo Geo
Seriously? Impossible to find and expensive as hell.

Well this is my list in order of availability and reasonably.

sworddude

Re: In your opinion whats the best system to collect for and why
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 12:46:43 pm »
ps2 that hard to collector for?  :o

Harder than dreamcast gamecube and wii?

I mean I know some titles are pricy but imo you will have a way higher change to get grails or expensive titles on ps2 for cheap than anything that is hyped with nintendo especially gamecube with it's super small library in wich even new people immidiately could spot pricy titles. and even for wii, yea GL finding a radiant dawn or metroid prime trilogy for cheap these days. People will snag those up in seconds while with ps2 more pricy stuff could be avaialble for days while nobody is interested since it's allot less popular less people hunting for non nintendo stuff.

Personally I would have put ps2 at the very top of most easy to collect consoles. with xbox being 2nd purely because the library isnt's that great and pretty small.

ps2 wins in all departments, filler collections, cheap good games. All consoles have their grails and pricy items wich are hard to get but for ps2 you will have the highest change to score those for cheap imo.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 12:48:41 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 12:51:10 pm »
In terms of quality, quantity, availability and price, I feel like the PS2 is still king. There are literally hundreds of great games for the console and most are pretty cheap. I feel like for someone wanting to get into collecting, the PS2 is hard to beat in nearly every category. I would agree that the original XBOX is definitely the easiest and probably cheapest to collect for, but it doesn't have nearly the level of quality exclusives as the PS2, and at least in my area it hasn't been as easy to collect for it for a couple of years now, mostly because I've started seeing the games for it as often. Third place I'd actually give to the Wii, since it has hit that sweet spot of price and availability.

I'd say the worst to collect for beyond the obvious ones like the Neo Geo are the CD based Sega consoles; they're all hard as hell to find and often they are very expensive to collect for. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a Sega CD game in the wild that wasn't at a game store. Not too far off are weird, obscure retro consoles like the 3DO, CDi, and Jaguar, mostly because I see games for those maybe once every couple of years, and I almost never find the consoles. And then finally I'd say retro Nintendo, although the availability of them, especially the NES has dramatically improved over the last couple years in my area. I think burnout is finally starting to set in on that whole scene.

In terms of my favorite consoles to collect for at the moment I'd say:

1. Saturn (hard as balls, and expensive, but such a great library of games. It has a fantastic import library as well)
2. PS4 (realized how may amazing games are on it recently, but will be gradually building that collection up over many years)
3. PS1 (Another console with an insane amount of great games. Mostly price and availability keep this lower at the moment)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 12:56:28 pm by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 01:01:44 pm »
GBA. Very cheap, and it takes up a very small amount of space. Childhood memories of this and the DS help significantly.

stealthrush

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 03:23:18 pm »
Nintendo Wii. great time to collect for since the game prices are low. Worst besides Neo Geo would be Sega Saturn IMO.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 03:28:33 pm »
Yes I agree the ps2 has a lot of cheap games but I listed that system higher in my list because it does have a lot of pricey titles also.In my area games like Kuon,Rule of Rose, Blood Will tell,Rad and many more are very expensive.I do think it's a wonderful system to collect for but it can be expensive.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 03:36:14 pm by wartoy »

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 04:51:03 pm »
Yes I agree the ps2 has a lot of cheap games but I listed that system higher in my list because it does have a lot of pricey titles also.In my area games like Kuon,Rule of Rose, Blood Will tell,Rad and many more are very expensive.I do think it's a wonderful system to collect for but it can be expensive.

while the ps2 has allot of pricy titles, for all of them people from outside the hobby could mess up heck even inside the hobby from both collectors or proffesional resellers. bought a blood will tell for cheap quite recently in a store. nintendo stuff in stores most likely not happening, in the past yest, this day and age unlikely.

With nintendo it rarely happens even with the non pokemon mario titles.

the titles you mentioned could be had for cheap while for gamecube in this day and age and the hype involed and the small library very unlikely

Even if a fire emblem path of radiance has less value either way more competition or people just look up prices. and since the library of for example gamecube is so miniscule even a newbie will sell a cubivores for top dollar.

also as far as compeitition goes rare gamecube stuff for cheap vanishes within the hour. rare sony stuff including ps2 could be there for days weeks since way less people look for it. heck just try to get a zelda game for gamecube for cheap in this day and age. resellers or collectors everywhere huge difference.

that's just my opinion from my experience though everyone experiences the hobby differently ofcourse.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 05:17:21 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 04:52:30 pm »

But if you compare the ratio of those more expensive titles to something like the Gamecube, I'd be willing to bet that you'd find that GCN games are as a whole, far more expensive.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 04:53:55 pm »

But if you compare the ratio of those more expensive titles to something like the Gamecube, I'd be willing to bet that you'd find that GCN games are as a whole, far more expensive.

That's not true gamecube seems pricy but in comparison to ps2 it's nothing

most pricy game on gamecube is only worth around 200$ and few of them and the library is very small with mainly main titles having value. there are not that many non mario pokemon titles in the gamecube library that have value while the ps2 has tons of 50$ + value games

Thing is ps2 library is huge and for allot of people it's kinda an unknown market.

Ps2 has tons more games with value and them grails surpassing that 200$ mark by allot, tons of rarity in ps2. as a whole ps2 in value wins by a landslide ignoring the trash titles. a couple hundred ps2 games have nice value gamecube doesn't come close to those numbers.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 05:01:01 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 05:00:17 pm »

most pricy game on gamecube is only worth around 200$ and few of them and the library is very small with mainly main titles having value. Ps2 has tons more games with value and them grails surpassing that 200$ mark by allot, tons of rarity in ps2. as a whole ps2 in value wins by a landslide ignoring the trash titles. a couple hundred ps2 games have nice value ps2 by far does not have those numbers.
Which would be why I said "compare the ratio" and "GCN games are as a whole, far more expensive"  and not "Gamecube has more expensive titles".  You can't exactly do that by ignoring titles that you don't want to count.

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 05:01:41 pm »

most pricy game on gamecube is only worth around 200$ and few of them and the library is very small with mainly main titles having value. Ps2 has tons more games with value and them grails surpassing that 200$ mark by allot, tons of rarity in ps2. as a whole ps2 in value wins by a landslide ignoring the trash titles. a couple hundred ps2 games have nice value ps2 by far does not have those numbers.
Which would be why I said "compare the ratio" and "GCN games are as a whole, far more expensive"  and not "Gamecube has more expensive titles".  You can't exactly do that by ignoring titles that you don't want to count.

I read that part, wich is why I left that reaction.

gamecube has like maybe 75 titles with decent value probably 50 because 75 is pushing it to much, ps2 has 400 - 500 titles with nice value

that's a huge difference. and where not talking 10 - 15 $ games

75 titles of the gamecube library is like 10 20% of gamecube? again aside from mario and pokemon titles  not that many titles with decent value . and the gamecube library is 552 titles big. gamecube has tons of trash titles. It's a wii with a smaller library so even in ratio gamecube loses with 10 to 15% of the whole library.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 05:11:07 pm by sworddude »

ferraroso

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 06:12:35 pm »
I'd say that, at least here in Japan, the Saturn is maybe the best console to collect for.

Of course the PlayStation, the PlayStation 2, the Famicom and the Super Famicom also have lots of games that can be find for much cheaper than in other regions, but when taking into consideration the variety and quantity of Japanese exclusives and how much games for the Saturn cost around here when compared to other regions, it is easily my number one.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 06:54:29 pm »
Well I agree the GameCube has around 50 titles in between 50 to 80 dollar range and a few above the 100 to 300 dollar range. And I would say the ps2 has roughly 200 to 300 titles in the same 50 to 80 dollar range and about 15 or so titles in the 100 to 300 dollar range.But I wouldn't go as far as saying the ps2 has 400 to 500 titles at nice value at least not yet anyways.It is a little older than the GameCube so I would expect the games to be a little more valuable.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 06:59:51 pm »
I'd say that, at least here in Japan, the Saturn is maybe the best console to collect for.

Of course the PlayStation, the PlayStation 2, the Famicom and the Super Famicom also have lots of games that can be find for much cheaper than in other regions, but when taking into consideration the variety and quantity of Japanese exclusives and how much games for the Saturn cost around here when compared to other regions, it is easily my number one.
You live in a magical place indeed.I hope to somday visit Japan so much culture,food,and games to see.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 07:00:42 pm »

You live in a magical place indeed.I hope to somday visit Japan so much culture,food,and games to enjoy.