Author Topic: What Style Or Type Of Graphics Do You Prefer In Video Gaming?  (Read 2205 times)

Games vary differently graphically and some games play different (like for example there is both 2D and 3D fighting games) but out of your best and or favorite video games. how do you like have your video games visually? in general?

(here in this link is a similar topic I am giving credit to it's author)

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,9381.msg158812.html#msg158812

Do you prefer sprites? cartoon? or early polygons? 2D? or 3D? computerized graphics? or movie real life like graphics? For me it don't matter. As long as the game is playable and fun.

I sometimes play Atari 2600/VCS games on newer equipment like the PS2 or Flashback consoles.

Computerized graphics are what I am calling mainly games with semi realistic graphics like Final Fantasy X for PlayStation 2. Or,

movie like graphics are what I call a game that is so realistic it's like watching a movie or it is an actual movie game like "Star Trek Borg" for PC in any case scenario what is your favorite graphic style?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 02:20:31 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: What Style Or Type Of Graphics Do You Prefer In Video Gaming?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 08:39:23 am »
I don't really know if i have a preference per say, I do know that I struggle with games that are prior 16-bit & even 16-Bit if I am being honest. I tend to judge games graphically upon the time they're made . This is why I cannot stand games that cover their lack of budget/ability to being a homage - Like that recent Horror title 'Back in 1995'... which arguably looks worse than most games on the PS1 anyway.

For me the bigger issue is output, I can't stand bad output settings onto TV's i cannot play my PS2 library because I don't have a good method to actually play the games - A PS2 on a component cable looks abysmal unless the games run on Progress Scan, which is few and far between. I even bought that PS2 Pound cable recently to be seriously disappointed by the results. If upscaled well, I can enjoy most PS1 games onwards, it's just finding a decent way to boost the resolution - I'm a real sucker for Up-ressed ports for this reason, I can happily play the PS3 version of Shadow of the Colossus still even after experiencing the PS4 Remake/Remaster.

If I had to choose... I guess PS4 :P I will say that I do really dislike some features though, particularly Motion Blur. I like to see a crisp image and motion blur just ruins it for me, seeing background swirl like a whirlwind just makes it hard to focus on anything. I really appreicate how the Spyro Trilogy lets you turn it off in the Options!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:14:36 am by vivigamer »

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 09:12:53 am »
For lack of a better term, I like 'artsy' games. Stuff that's designed to have a distinct visual style. It doesn't have to be super high-def modern about it... I think Thomas Was Alone is a pretty game, and that's literally about blocks. I get more out of a title designed to convey a specific mood or aesthetic in its visuals that something that simply goes for whatever that generation considers high-end graphics.

One notable exception: the glut of pretty sprite-art indie games out there right now has put me off that particular style. It's become less aesthetic & more shorthand for 'I want to be the next Shovel Knight/Undertale/Celeste', and as a result I've lost interest.

Aside from Thomas Was Alone, games I remember digging the art of are Katamari Damacy, El-Shaddai, Shadow of the Colossus, Astal, Cosmic Ark, Cuphead, Gris- you get the idea.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 11:32:34 am »
I'll hover to anime style games usually or some other highly stylized games. I dislike realistic graphical designs. I usually can't see anything on the screen in these games because everything gets so close in color. Modern pixel art is usually a miss for me compared to classic pixel art. It's never lives up. I swear we just need a service to connect indie game makers with artists.

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 02:08:06 pm »
I'm pretty open to visual styles.  I love pixel art style games, anime games can be great, I love super realistic stuff and I like stylistic stuff.  Really just depends more on the game experience itself and how it works with the style.  Probably the only types of visuals I don't like are like pre-8 bit, art styles that are very minimal (Like off the top of my head, Superhot), and polygonal stuff.  Unless it's very cartoonish for the polygons, I don't particularly like games trying to emulate old PS1 games like Resident Evil because then the games just look like garbage.  Sure there's nostalgia there, but I was glad when we moved into the 2000's and models and textures started to be so much better.

stealthrush

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 12:14:33 am »
2D video-games overall. Not necessarily 8-bit pixel but anything 2D from 16, 32-bit onward. Second prefer Japanese developed games (preferably arcade genres) since majority are colorful, quirky, and original.

I dislike majority of realistic games, cinematic type especially seen on PS3 onward. with the exception of PS1 & PS2 horror-survival games. Some early polygon games are decent since I grew up playing them as long as the gameplay holds up.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 11:27:16 am »
Whatever makes the most sense for the game I’m playing.  8-bit Mega Man?  Great!  Hand drawn Hollow Knight?  Perfect!  Photorealistic RE2?  Damn skippy.

The only thing I’m a bit wary of nowadays are the N64 / PS1 games that shouldn’t have been 3D using terrible 3D models.

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 05:25:50 pm »
I don't have a preference, but I one odd thing about my preferences is that I actually like the way early 3D looks. Sure, the polygons are huge and they in no way could be regarded as realistic, but I think it was growing up with games like Virtua Fighter, Tekken, and Final Fantasy VII that really define my love for graphics from that era.

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 05:36:01 pm »
I don't have a preference, but I one odd thing about my preferences is that I actually like the way early 3D looks. Sure, the polygons are huge and they in no way could be regarded as realistic, but I think it was growing up with games like Virtua Fighter, Tekken, and Final Fantasy VII that really define my love for graphics from that era.

I feel the same way. It's nostalgia for me even though I was a PC gamer growing up. :)

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

ferraroso

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 12:07:21 am »
From the first I've seen it in Jet Set Radio, I've always loved cel-shaded graphics.
I don't think they go well with every kind of game, but, for me, when well executed, they are perfect for emulating 2D in platformers and fighting games, for example.

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 02:35:13 am »
Modern 3d

soera

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 07:39:28 am »
The newer the better. While I dont "hate" old/retro style graphics, I most definitely prefer a more realistic looking option.

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 12:55:00 am »
I'd be fine with new games having 6th gen graphics at best (with modern resolutions) if it meant games were sold physical only again and all the positives that come with that such as no DLC or micro transactions, entire game is on the physical copy, no paying for a download, no patches or updates because the game has to be on the physical copy because they have no way to patch or update it, no early access, etc.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 01:22:58 am »
I'd be fine with new games having 6th gen graphics at best (with modern resolutions) if it meant games were sold physical only again and all the positives that come with that such as no DLC or micro transactions, entire game is on the physical copy, no paying for a download, no patches or updates because the game has to be on the physical copy because they have no way to patch or update it, no early access, etc.

(OFF TOPIC PHILOSOPHY) (exactly why I am pissed and not a modern gamer)

Digital downloads in the developers eye ensure that they are in control of the game and when they can take it away from us at any given time. Developers hope to ensure in the future that you can't make profit off their project by selling it second hand. And most of all, force us to either stop playing the game 10-15 years from now when the patch servers go offline for the Old generation of consoles, or devices. Or pay them more money for a cheap and easy to make port or re-release. That way both console developers and game developers can benefit from future sales.

Personally I believe that if things do not change. we won't even be able to legally own any future generation gaming devices. And companies might rent us devices and charge us fees to rent their gaming devices like cable or satellite television or Internet service providers do now
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 04:36:31 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 03:00:33 am »
My eyes are attracted to colorful stuff and flashy lights.  Some purists hate my TV because I have backlight all the way.  I think monitors and TVs should be as bright as they can get, like Las Vegas :)

Although graphically I love realism and true to life stuff like Call of Duty or Last of Us.  I think artistically I like Nintendo's art directions the best.  I seem to gravitate towards water color art like Okami or Windwaker HD.  Things that have a beautiful contrast of color :).  Very beautiful.

I also love 16 bit SNES visuals, especially from Super Mario World, very colorful, and nostalgic :)

But I think the best graphics in modern day gaming goes to the Forza games.  They are designed to utilize the powerhouse Xbox One X's full potential.  A lot of people don't like racing sims or Xbox but it's no denying how beautiful the One X renders.

The HDR makes the puddles come to life.

I am really excited for PS5, Xbox ? ect....   They are pushing for better aliasing to really make water realistic.  Current gen has trouble with water at times especially when compared to high end PCs.  It's the usual noticable difference.  :)