Author Topic: How Much Do Ads/Brochures Of Older Video Games Mean To You?  (Read 5669 times)

I was just looking inside my complete copy of The Sims Life Stories today and I found an advertisement of a Mobil phone sims game that was coming out in 2005. and it made me wounder if any of you find value in older sheets or brochures that were about upcoming ads for at the time for a new video game.

To me I find it memorable and nostalgic, also it's good to hear about a video game that I missed when it was first released. and the sims 2 Mobil did come out but (I'm Guessing) you probably can't find the app anymore for your cell phones.

And how much value do you have with advertisements or brochures   for video games that were never released or were cancelled?
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

mastodon

Re: How Much Do Ads/Brochures Of Older Video Games Mean To You?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 03:39:05 pm »
Seems cool enough. I do like odd collections. With that said, i'd prob put money towards games because I rarely have disposable income. Some ppl do have money though, so I could see this appeal to niche collectors looking for stuff other than hardware/software.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 05:25:26 pm »
Seems cool enough. I do like odd collections. With that said, i'd prob put money towards games because I rarely have disposable income. Some ppl do have money though, so I could see this appeal to niche collectors looking for stuff other than hardware/software.

I don't have that much disposable income either. I just picked up the game about a month or 2 ago for $5 USD and it was part of The Sims series on PC so I got it. And just so it happened to be in great condition and appeared to come with everything it did when it was new.  :-\

I don't think that the ads are worth anything but, it just something to look at. and it is one of my favorite series of all time
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:28:35 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 08:42:59 pm »
I have a ton of old gaming magazines from the 90s and early 2000s and one of my favorite things about them is seeing all the ads in them for video games and other products of the time; they really embody the feel and pop culture of that time period and give me a ton of nostalgia looking at them. Also, it's fun reading the reviews in these magazines since they aren't tainted by the nostalgic hype that many games have now which sometimes distort the actual quality of the game.

tpugmire

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 11:03:28 pm »
You should look into Famicom handbills if you want to see some cool advertisements. Some are worth quite a bit though, so it makes it hard to really collect them. I have the Metroid one that is in the database.

https://vgcollect.com/item/45170
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

kashell

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 08:19:20 am »
I love seeing ads on the backs of instruction manuals or in the inserts. It's a nice, quick trip down memory lane.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 02:18:14 pm »
They are my favorite part of looking through comic books.

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 01:27:30 am »
I think they are neat, especially in Nintendo Power magazines.  It's always fun looking at when games you cherish were in beta or alpha stage.  Like the Mario 64 ads.  It's crazy thinking of the people who seen it and it wasn't out yet and how in awe we all were.  They play a huge role in getting hype back then :).  But now it's more trailers.

I don't collect them per say, but I have wanted to try collecting Nintendo powers before for the ads and art.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 12:20:48 pm »
I love seeing ads on the backs of instruction manuals or in the inserts. It's a nice, quick trip down memory lane.

It’s the memory fast lane!

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 10:06:30 am »
I get nostalgic as well for old ad/brochures or older video games.

As the years go by they also become pieces of history of a bygone era.

pzeke

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 07:31:25 am »
Yeah, I used to collect advertisement/promotional flyers. As I mentioned elsewhere, I used to have around 5 binders filled with many of them for different games, including for arcades that I acquired from places like Babbage’s, Electronics Boutique/EB Games, GameStop, as well as Time Out, Stop N’ Play, and even Blockbuster and Video Ave., but due to unforeseen circumstances I lost them. I still have some that I cherish to this day, but it certainly doesn’t come close to what I used to have. They’re a great way to look back and reminisce and drown in nostalgia. As much as I love these type of memorabilia, I stopped collecting them a long time ago.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!