Author Topic: How many of you use box protectors for your collection?  (Read 2203 times)

Warmsignal

How many of you use box protectors for your collection?
« on: June 15, 2019, 07:45:52 pm »
Seems a lot of resellers use them to trying and justify their jacked up asking prices on various things, but do you use them for your personal collection? I've begun the goal of acquiring box protectors for my entire collection, boxes, cases, and cart only. I really like the looks of them, and not just for particular games but for everything. I find it enhances the presentation and makes it look more like a proper collection, rather than just an accumulation of stuff. To me a box protector says "I care about this / this is important to me". It's not just another random thing in my house that's collecting dust.

Of course, not only do they preserve condition and protect against minor incidents that may occur, the high gloss finish just makes every game pop. Even if the game or box is not in great shape, a box protector makes them appear to be in better shape than they are. I find they're well worth the 75 cents to $1 they usually sell at. I'm going to be ordering hundreds more of these things. Right now I'm boxing up my DVD style case games and it's looking good. I would have to recommend them.

How many of you use box protectors for all of your collection, versus just using of them for particular games, or items that you sell or buy that came with one?

sworddude

Re: How many of you use box protectors for your collection?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 08:00:47 pm »
for cd based games box protectors are overkill and kinda make it hard to get to play your games not needed for those imo. those boxes won't get damaged. same for megadrive with them plastic cases.

For cardboard boxes box protectors are a must have though. for cd based games I only use those box protectors for factory sealed games.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 08:12:34 pm »
for cd based games box protectors are overkill and kinda make it hard to get to play your games not needed for those imo. those boxes won't get damaged. same for megadrive with them plastic cases.

For cardboard boxes box protectors are a must have though. for cd based games I only use those box protectors for factory sealed games.

To me even shelf-wear is a factor. Even slightly rubbing together over time will take the polish off of a mint condition plastic case and eventually a film of dust will settle over them as well, so that's something I want to protect against. I'm also very cautions of artwork, especially with today's flimsy cases. I despise creases and wrinkles being put in them through normal use and handling. But as I said, a lot of the appeal is also in the enhanced (IMO) presentation. It looks more like a collectible item rather than just an ordinary item.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 08:38:22 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 09:57:39 pm »
I have three, two for GBA game boxes, one for a GBC box.  I should probably get some for my boxed systems too.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 11:09:30 pm »
Strictly for cardboard boxes, to help prevent crushing. Plastic boxes are already sturdy enough to handle everyday wear & tear, and very replaceable if they get worn-looking.

Whenever possible, I try to replace eco-cases with proper ones as well- seriously, dumbest eco-friendly advance in media right there.

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 05:13:31 am »

To me even shelf-wear is a factor. Even slightly rubbing together over time will take the polish off of a mint condition plastic case and eventually a film of dust will settle over them as well, so that's something I want to protect against. I'm also very cautions of artwork, especially with today's flimsy cases. I despise creases and wrinkles being put in them through normal use and handling. But as I said, a lot of the appeal is also in the enhanced (IMO) presentation. It looks more like a collectible item rather than just an ordinary item.

I mean with cd based games worst case scenario plastic case gets some scuffs wich will most likely not happen or very minimally over the years when you do it allot. the art work is safe though. if those where damaged than it was already done when people handled them poorly in the past. or those dents when people pushed the discs in the cases to hard or when removing shittty stickers while art work was still in the case while again pressing the art work hard.

ofcourse plastic cases could be replaced when they get damaged.

but I can see it being nice to keep dust away.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 05:20:09 am by sworddude »

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 10:30:23 am »
I got a few recently to move my games. I'm not sure how I'd feel displaying amiibos that way though. It's kinda awkward. I like it for cardboard boxes though with a proper fit. Can't always find a fit though. I wasn't able to find one for Little Dragon's Cafe LE. I could also see using it for steel books. My Ni no Kuni steelbook took a beating over the years.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 04:12:44 pm »
Like a child some might think, paper boxes don't really mean much, to me. I value the game more. But I love SEGA Genesis boxes because they are hard plastic cases and can look great on a shelving unit. I also like 6th and 7th console generation DVD games in their cases. Some later PC games also came inside SEGA genesis like plastic cases too, like "The Sims Life Stories" and "The Sims Pet Stories" and The Sims 2 for PC

When I think of box protectors I think of the eye sore to me that paper Nintendo 64 boxes were. a lot of paper can also become a fire hazard. I do like PC big boxes but I do not like Nintendo 64 paper boxes
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 05:50:24 pm »
Like a child some might think, paper boxes don't really mean much, to me. I value the game more. But I love SEGA Genesis boxes because they are hard plastic cases and can look great on a shelving unit. I also like 6th and 7th console generation DVD games in their cases. Some later PC games also came inside SEGA genesis like plastic cases too, like "The Sims Life Stories" and "The Sims Pet Stories" and The Sims 2 for PC

When I think of box protectors I think of the eye sore to me that paper Nintendo 64 boxes were. a lot of paper can also become a fire hazard. I do like PC big boxes but I do not like Nintendo 64 paper boxes

and plastic dvd cases are not a fire hazard let alone the thin paper artwork inside of them ::)

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 07:24:16 pm »
i use them on my CIB games that are in a cardboard box. So pretty much the N64 and older, some Genesis titles, and various handhelds. In fact, I need to order some more since there are probably a good 10 games that are without at the moment.

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 10:22:49 am »
Currently, I only have them on a couple of games and they were on there when I bought them. I've wanted to pick up a bunch for my cardboard box Genesis and 32X games, but I haven't gotten around to making the purchase yet.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 07:23:28 pm »
I have them for all my n64, snes and nes games.  For cardboard games, box protectors are essential!  Would like to order some more for my jaguar and gba boxes.  Thought about getting it for my saturn games and 3do games but that might be overkill. 

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 11:15:55 am »
I use them for specific games. Mostly games that are either rare and/or expensive. For example, recently I picked up Futurama for the PS2 and I put that game in a box protector since its a fairly expensive game, but at some point I'd like to get them for all games in my collection. I also use magazine protectors for Nintendo Power.