Author Topic: Your favorite amusement parks and rides  (Read 8027 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Your favorite amusement parks and rides
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 11:10:57 am »
they might have taken it down due to safety reasons. that happens rides get too old and soon can no longer get repaired. it may have been a reliability issue

It's still up and running.  ::)

It probably won't get torn down till early next year at the earliest. There's been complaints for a couple years now that they've had trouble sourcing parts for repairs to the track. Also it's been running for well longer than the usual life of those types of coasters (usual life is 20-25 years and it's been going for 32 now).

The coaster is located smack dab in the middle of the park so I anticipate it will get replaced with something sooner than later. I wouldn't mind seeing them put Steel Vengeance in Vortex's spot but I don't know if there's enough space for it.

Steel Vengeance for the uninitiated...

Sad, but true. When I went this summer, it was a walk-on, no line. I know a lot of people skip out on in nowdays because they find it too rough. I personally, didn't find it rough. No where near as rough as The Racer (talk about rough). Steel roller coasters never get recognized as ACE landmarks like old wooden ones do, but if they did, I would nominate Vortex. I wish they could sell it off somehow instead of scrapping/wasting.

I just hope that they will replace it with something that is spiritually similar to Vortex. I was thinking maybe something designed by Mack or S&S Power would be the most fitting modern day equivalent to a classic Arrow coaster. But I don't know if Cedar Fair has ever worked with or would work with S&S. However, they did install a new Mack coaster in Carowinds this year so I think that's a likely one. Still IMHO, Copperhead Strike is no Vortex. The replacement ride has a lot to live up to, and with Orion coming to the park in 2020, I don't even see a Vortex replacement coming for several more years.  :(

I'm planning a last minute trip back to marathon ride Vortex before it's gone.

Warmsignal

Re: Your favorite amusement parks and rides
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 10:45:21 pm »
Well, I returned to feel the grip once more, and bid farewell to one of my favorite rides. Had a blast, as always. What a marvelous machine this was. RIP Vortex. Here are some pics that I took on the last day of operation.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:47:39 pm by Warmsignal »