Author Topic: Your favorite amusement parks and rides  (Read 8000 times)

Warmsignal

Your favorite amusement parks and rides
« on: July 05, 2019, 06:59:27 pm »
For those who are into this sort of thing. What are you favorite parks and rides?

The parks I've been to are - Dollywood, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Carowinds, Six Flags Great Adventure (no longer operating), and Cedar Point.

Of all the rides I've ridden, my favorites are Tennessee Tornado, Blazing Fury, Hurler, Lochness Monster, Big Bad Wolf (no longer exists), Villian (no longer exists). Millennium Force was also memorable, but I can't say it was a particularly great ride, personally. I think it's a bit overrated, and almost too intense to be fun for me.

Re: Your favorite amusement parks and rides
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 07:06:18 pm »
I've only been to Busch Gardens and Universal Studios myself.  Not enough to have favorite rides, but I'm not someone that wants crazy fast rides with over the top spins and drops.  I am not an adrenaline seeker.  I forget which ride I did at Busch Gardens, being that it was like 10 years ago and I only went on maybe one or two rides (The lines were insane), thought it was fun and exciting, but at Universal, I loved stuff like the Jurassic Park ride, or the Spider-Man ride, stuff with gimmicks more than say the Hulk one, which was fun, but like I enjoyed the simple train ride at Harry Potter, because it's just kind of a nice speeds and isn't crazy lol I really need to get back to Universal, especially now that they expanded the Harry Potter area as there were a few rides I couldn't get to in the time I had.

telly

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 11:19:45 pm »
Cedar Point!!! Millennium Force and Maverick all day baby.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 07:14:48 am »
I've been to 3 amusement parks in my lifetime Cedar Point northern Ohio location, also former Geauga Lake and former Seaworld in northern Ohio, Cedar Point was the best one of the three.

I been to many different carnivals also. One that is 2 blocks from my home that runs every year once a year. in summer usually.

No rides scare or frighten me after my dad taught me have fun and to enjoy Intensifying rides without being scared of them growing up, I loved the roller coasters at Cedar Point, I rode on The Raptor roller coaster when it was brand new. some time in either 1997 1998 or 1999. In my dads eyes the more intense a ride is the better. Years ago

Unfortunately for me when i turned only 16 years of age. I can no longer go on any rides because all, and still to this day I cannot stomach any rides at all, this even includes riding in a car when the driver makes sharp turns.

Now today Every ride makes me sick I have a will of steal. but no stomach strength anymore to handle even kitty rides. and I am not joking, I can't and don't even go to amusement parks or carnivals in a long long time at least since 18

I been on the Maverick Mean Streak, Old Blue and others that used to be found at Cedar Point

But I still can enjoy water parks :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:30:47 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

telly

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 07:46:18 am »
Oh I get sick on roller coasters too but I try to bear it. I will usually take some dramamine beforehand even though it usually doesn't help that much haha
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 12:51:00 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 03:17:21 pm »
Dude, I love them. I’m a HUGE Disney guy. Love the themeing and the atmosphere. The rides aren’t as intense as other parks, but the storytelling is amazing. I love Disney World.

Now, don’t let that lead you to think I don't dig other parks and coasters. Universal is a blast. Six Flags Dallas, San Antonio, and St Louis all have some awesome coasters. Kashell, my brother, and myself saw one of the most epic roller coaster experiences ever at Six Flags Dallas.

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 03:50:55 am »
I love theme parks and roller coasters! I've never been to Cedar Point, but I've a ton of good stuff about it. I hope to go some day! These are some of the ones I've been to:

Disneyland - Anaheim, CA - One of the old greats. Space Mountain and Big Thunder will always be favorites. Special mention to the Rocket Rods, a short lived ride from 1999 or so. It was a high speed ride built on the old raised Peoplemover track. Since the old track didn't have banked turns, it had to slow down on each curve. But it was so fun when it was working! The track to it still stands above Tomorrowland as a remnant curiosity to this day.

Knott's Berry Farm - Buena Park, CA - A park very close to Disneyland, and slightly older. Silver Bullet is an amazing hanging coaster with a smooth ride, one of my favorites of any park.

Six Flags Magic Mountain - Valencia, CA - THE roller coaster park, possibly the best in the country? It has so much to ride, it's crazy. X2 is a bizarre coaster with pods sticking out of the central train. You sit in these pods, and they can spin independently of the train. It's great. Another one, Ninja, is a comparatively simple coaster for modern standards, but still great fun as your hanging car swings through the trees.

Washuzan Highland - Kojima, Japan - I went here as a teen in 2000. It's a park at the top of a hill overlooking the ocean. It was a workday when we went, so almost no one was there. Imagine going to an empty amusement park and riding anything with no wait lines. It was a fun, but rather small park.

Europa Park - Rust, Germany - A fairly large park with some strong "knockoff" Disneyland vibes. They've got a large sphere like Epcot does, a teacup ride, and a cool Pirates of the Caribbean style ride called "Pirates of Batavia", with Asian pirates. There was a really nice Mercedes sponsored roller coaster too.

Heide Park - Soltau, Germany - Sorta like a Six Flags park, but in Germany! A fantastic park that focuses on thrill rides. A lot of coasters were really fun. One called "Flug der Dämonen" (Flight of the Demons) is similar to X2 from Magic Mountain. Oddly though, one of the most pure fun things I saw there was a simple boat ride called "Topilaula Schlacht". You get in a boat that has a row of seats on each side. These seats all have water cannons on them that you can fire. But what do you fire at? Well the twisty river path that the boats travel down is also lined with water cannons, and random park-goers can man these cannons to blast water at the people in the boats! Everyone in the boats will focus fire on whoever is at these cannons. You could stand and watch the water war for an hour and not get tired of it.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 09:42:08 am »
Europa Park - Rust, Germany - A fairly large park with some strong "knockoff" Disneyland vibes. They've got a large sphere like Epcot does, a teacup ride, and a cool Pirates of the Caribbean style ride called "Pirates of Batavia", with Asian pirates. There was a really nice Mercedes sponsored roller coaster too.

God, Europa Park is definitely my favourite! As you walk into you feel like you are entering a fairytale. I remember  when I've been there for the first time. I was 5 years old and we travelled to Rust with my family. My father had to fly to Berlin for one week and search for a commercial property in Berlin for some business related issues and my mother used this opportunity for taking me and my brother to Europa Park because it was really boring in the city center. Still I'm taking my kids there for summer vacations.

kashell

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 12:58:53 pm »
Cedar Point!!! Millennium Force and Maverick all day baby.
My brother!

Same here, except I'd rather go on the Top Thrill Dragster than the Millennium. Actually, I'd rather ride 'em all.

I miss Cedar Point. I used to live 45 minutes from it.

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 11:59:16 am »
I actually absolutely dread amusement park rides particularly roller coasters. They are so scary and just the anticipation as the ride slowing begins to move and descends down that first slope is ridiculous.

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 06:54:47 pm »
I recently went to Kings Island for the first time ever and it was a great park! My favorite ride there is Flight of Fear - an all indoor roller coaster that launches you from the station into a dark tunnel and then into a mostly dark room where the track spirals around and goes upside down about 4 times. Then you get off at a different location so that when the train goes back into the station for the next riders all the cars are empty. It’s such a fun ride.

I also rode The Beast, worlds longest wooden coaster from 1979 which was great, I really liked Vortex too and lots of other great coasters there. I rode all of them. Banshee was a little too intense, but overall great collection of rides there.

This week I am going to Carowinds, they also have a great collection of rides, including the world’s tallest lift hill giga coaster Fury 325. I can’t wait!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:56:23 pm by Warmsignal »

Warmsignal

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 03:28:32 am »
Well I'm saddened to just learn that one of my favorite rides, Vortex at King's Island will be closing forever next month. It's closing basically because it's old, and has lost popularity over the years. It was honesty one of my favorites when I went this year. It was a great classic steel roller coaster, and one of the kind that first got me interested in them when I was a kid. The older ones are all starting to disappear in favor of the newer designs. This one in particular is just so iconic, it's hard to believe there will be a King's Island without Vortex. I will surely miss it, but still happy that I got a chance to ride it this summer. RIP Vortex (1987-2019).

Flashback2012

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 09:20:09 am »
Well I'm saddened to just learn that one of my favorite rides, Vortex at King's Island will be closing forever next month. It's closing basically because it's old, and has lost popularity over the years. It was honesty one of my favorites when I went this year. It was a great classic steel roller coaster, and one of the kind that first got me interested in them when I was a kid. The older ones are all starting to disappear in favor of the newer designs. This one in particular is just so iconic, it's hard to believe there will be a King's Island without Vortex. I will surely miss it, but still happy that I got a chance to ride it this summer. RIP Vortex (1987-2019).

Yeah I heard about this yesterday. We were there last weekend and had I known, I would have taken one last spin on the thing.  :-\

I've ridden that thing a ton of times over the years and always thought it was one of the better coasters. I was really hoping on my roommate's son being able to ride it next year as he was just a few inches shy this year.  :(

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 06:18:32 pm »

Yeah I heard about this yesterday. We were there last weekend and had I known, I would have taken one last spin on the thing.  :-\

I've ridden that thing a ton of times over the years and always thought it was one of the better coasters. I was really hoping on my roommate's son being able to ride it next year as he was just a few inches shy this year.  :(

they might have taken it down due to safety reasons. that happens rides get too old and soon can no longer get repaired. it may have been a reliability issue
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Flashback2012

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 11:44:59 pm »
they might have taken it down due to safety reasons. that happens rides get too old and soon can no longer get repaired. it may have been a reliability issue

It's still up and running.  ::)

It probably won't get torn down till early next year at the earliest. There's been complaints for a couple years now that they've had trouble sourcing parts for repairs to the track. Also it's been running for well longer than the usual life of those types of coasters (usual life is 20-25 years and it's been going for 32 now).

The coaster is located smack dab in the middle of the park so I anticipate it will get replaced with something sooner than later. I wouldn't mind seeing them put Steel Vengeance in Vortex's spot but I don't know if there's enough space for it.

Steel Vengeance for the uninitiated...