Author Topic: Can Anyone Recommend Any Steering Wheel For Driving/Racing Games  (Read 4247 times)

What are some of your experiences with console and PC steering wheel accessory controllers? I know nothing about how they work or if they even work on every console driving video game. I assume not all racing or driving games support driving accessory controllers

Does anyone know which video games you can buy on any console or PC that will be compatible?  with any kind of driving games? I don't know anything when it comes to steering wheels for use with driving games.

I have the following consoles already
1: PlayStation 2
2: PlayStation 3
3: Nintendo 64
4: Nintendo GameCube
5: Nintendo Wii
6 Sega Genesis
7 RetroN 2
8: Barely Working NES
9. Xbox 360

NOTE
This topic goes for any gaming devices, so if you know something about any steering wheel for any device I don't have, Please say something on this thread, this thread is for the community not only for me
:)

(edit) looking for any or all console OR PC specific or non specific wheels to avoid the confusion
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:00:16 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

thewizardcraft

Re: Can Anyone Recommend Any Steering Wheel For Driving/Racing Games
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 10:09:35 pm »
RIDE For Ps3!

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 11:31:58 am »
RIDE For Ps3!

thank you for the recommendation thewizardcraft and welcome to the forum, :) I saw this was only your 2nd post
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:33:53 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 12:20:45 am »
Hey there. I was just looking at your post and just wanted to let you know my experiences with racing wheels.
Ever since the Colecovision I've always looked into racing wheels for all my consoles. Not much exists before the PS1 era.
Nothing good anyway. Interact and Madcatz made a lot of decent wheels for PS1/2, Saturn and Dreamcast. For Gamecube ,PS3,Xbox and Wii I have almost exclusive Logitec wheels.
And unfortunatley almost all wheels are console specific. For a while Madcatz and Hori made some that fit a couple of consoles of the same era like Xbox PS2 and Gamecube all in one.
The best brands by far are Thrustmaster, Logitec and Hori of late. Thrustmaster being the most expensive and having the most accessories. Logitec being the best for newer consoles and Hori making decent budget wheels for mostly Sony and Xbox. My advice is buy used and buy least expensive. Only hard core driving gamers buy 500 doller wheels and seats to mount them on. I've always had fun using good condition, second hand wheels that were specific to the console. You do not even need to get wheel/pedal combos either. Takes up to much room and all you want to do is pretend your driving anyway. Most driving games will work with a wheel because the wheel still simulates a controller. Have fun and make some space for all those wheels!    Also I see you have a 360.That is by far the best racing game console you have and microsoft made a fantastic wheel system for that console. All games worked with it and the 360 had a ton of driving games Id start there.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:27:42 am by motopants »

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 11:52:04 am »
Hey there. I was just looking at your post and just wanted to let you know my experiences with racing wheels.
Ever since the Colecovision I've always looked into racing wheels for all my consoles. Not much exists before the PS1 era.
Nothing good anyway. Interact and Madcatz made a lot of decent wheels for PS1/2, Saturn and Dreamcast. For Gamecube ,PS3,Xbox and Wii I have almost exclusive Logitec wheels.
And unfortunatley almost all wheels are console specific. For a while Madcatz and Hori made some that fit a couple of consoles of the same era like Xbox PS2 and Gamecube all in one.
The best brands by far are Thrustmaster, Logitec and Hori of late. Thrustmaster being the most expensive and having the most accessories. Logitec being the best for newer consoles and Hori making decent budget wheels for mostly Sony and Xbox. My advice is buy used and buy least expensive. Only hard core driving gamers buy 500 doller wheels and seats to mount them on. I've always had fun using good condition, second hand wheels that were specific to the console. You do not even need to get wheel/pedal combos either. Takes up to much room and all you want to do is pretend your driving anyway. Most driving games will work with a wheel because the wheel still simulates a controller. Have fun and make some space for all those wheels!    Also I see you have a 360.That is by far the best racing game console you have and microsoft made a fantastic wheel system for that console. All games worked with it and the 360 had a ton of driving games Id start there.

welcome to the forum motopants and thank you too for the input :)

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 04:25:24 pm »
I had the MadCatz Dual Force for N64 as a kid, two of them actually (one for my dad and myself). We mostly played Nascar 99 and Rush, but interestingly it worked for Starfox 64 (the shifter was actually a joystick!).

I use the Thrustmaster TMX Force Feedback on Xbox One, which is supposed to be compatible with PC. It does everything I need it too, but I will say it is a bit "grindy" and not as smooth as a true wheel.

I'll say more importantly than choosing a wheel, is choosing how you're actually going to use it. If you're on PC it's a bit easier as you can just clamp the wheel to your computer desk, but if you're a console player on a couch you need something to attach the wheel to that is preferably adjustable to the height of your couch or chair. I've looked for twenty minutes to find the one I use and can't find it, but any adjustable workbench or table might work. Otherwise a DIY might be the next best option because third party wheel stands are outrageously expensive and even the cheap ones are suspect at best.