Author Topic: PS2 hdmi conversion issues.  (Read 5761 times)

rayne315

PS2 hdmi conversion issues.
« on: July 23, 2019, 04:38:04 pm »
I recently got a nice 4k TV that only has HDMI inputs. this wasn't a big deal because I used to record gameplay so I have an RCA to HDMI converter (one of the real cheap ones), but I noticed on the new tv whenever I fire up a ps2 game and the game were to normally display a darker image it would instead display true black. this happens to all greys, blacks, browns, etc but it never did so on my previous 1080p tv. on some games its tolerable but there are some were its impossible to even tell where the ground/obstacles are. whats even worse is this color issue seems to be strictly ps2 related as my SNES, gamecube, genesis does just fine color related on this tv.

I already went through all tv settings, adjusting brightness, contrast, etc and nothing fixes the color issues. does anyone know of any fix for this? is there another RCA to HDMI converter that will fix color or some other device or is this a issue with the tv itself?
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

aliensstudios

Re: PS2 hdmi conversion issues.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 06:57:43 pm »
I've heard that the Pound HDMI PS2 cable does a serviceable job and will convert the 240p signal from PS1 games correctly as well. Personally I use component cables through the OSSC so I couldn't say how good a job the cable does at recreating the proper colors. Also, have you tried turning "Full Range" RGB on that HDMI input to "Limited Range"? That may solve your issues.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 03:43:34 pm »
Was going to recommend OSSC or Framemeister. I'm a Framemeister person myself, but they're finally ending production so if you even think you want one you should get it now before the price gets even more ridiculous.

There's a new kid on the block called the RetroTink that is getting a lot of attention because it's cheaper than OSSC or Framemeister and fairly accurate/low latency. I have a cheap AV to HDMI converter also and can say that when you switch to one of these your mind will be blown by the difference, especially on a 4k display (but you need good cables: SCART, Component, quality S-video).

Also, if I remember correctly, the PS2 has a display option for color output, Y-pb-PR and RGB. You may have accidentally switched them. Although, I think if you pick the wrong one you shouldn't get a signal at all.

Lastly, I think there are cheap PS2 to HDMI adapters that plug right into the AV out on the PS2. I have no experience with these but I used a similar one on my Wii for a couple years with good results on my 4k tv.
Good luck!

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 07:40:06 pm »
Was going to recommend OSSC or Framemeister. I'm a Framemeister person myself, but they're finally ending production so if you even think you want one you should get it now before the price gets even more ridiculous.

There's a new kid on the block called the RetroTink that is getting a lot of attention because it's cheaper than OSSC or Framemeister and fairly accurate/low latency. I have a cheap AV to HDMI converter also and can say that when you switch to one of these your mind will be blown by the difference, especially on a 4k display (but you need good cables: SCART, Component, quality S-video).

Also, if I remember correctly, the PS2 has a display option for color output, Y-pb-PR and RGB. You may have accidentally switched them. Although, I think if you pick the wrong one you shouldn't get a signal at all.

Lastly, I think there are cheap PS2 to HDMI adapters that plug right into the AV out on the PS2. I have no experience with these but I used a similar one on my Wii for a couple years with good results on my 4k tv.
Good luck!
Do you use the Framemeister for the PS2 because of the nice deinterlace it does for 480i games?
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

BinaryMessiah

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 02:42:50 am »
The PS2 Pound HDMI cable is what I use and it's awesome. It upscales everything correctly and I haven't run into any issues yet.